cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wired / Wireless Upload speeds capped at 100mbps? ATT Fiber

sliderkb2
Community Member

I have gigabit internet through att fiber and just bought a google nest wifi 2 pack a week ago. Setup was a breeze and everything looked good until I noticed my upload speeds were capped at 100mbps on every device behind the nest. Google advised a replacement so I did just that. Everything looked perfect for a day - i was getting expected speeds for wired at 800mbps and wireless was around 300 - 400mbps up and down. I check today - same issue as before where all devices are getting great download speeds but capped at 100mbps upload. I found out, however, that if I select a device as priority in google home, that device now works as I expect. Its like the nest is throttling every device in my network for some reason unless i say otherwise. The priority settings fixes both wired and wireless settings. Im pretty sure the problem must be on the Google side since that change fixes the issue. If I could prioritize all devices 24 hours a day, I would be happy with that workaround 🙂

For reference the setup is

ATT ONT --- ATT Router (bypass mode) --- Google Wifi

Wifi has been disabled on the ATT router and that router is now simply forwarding all traffic to the google nest. I put in a ticket with google who requested I put the router in bypass mode and force DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, These changes made no difference. They then requested logs and are reviewing the files I sent them via the home app and will get back to me. During testing, they told me not to prioritize a device but thats the only way things work as they should. Im seriously considering returning the nest wifi but wanted to hear if anyone else had issues like this. Again, two different nest routers having the exact same issue. 

I put in a ticket with ATT who said there should be nothing on their end throttling the traffic. If I plug my computer into the same att router port as the google wifi (move the nest off the port, then replace with my computer), the computer links up at a gig and the speeds look fine. 

832 REPLIES 832

Matt_HGR
Community Member

Hi, just another community member with exactly the same issue. Paying for 125 download, getting 70.

If I fully reset the nest network and start from scratch, I get the 125 down over WiFi. 10 mins later it caps at 70 ish on WiFi, ethernet or through the Google home app self test.

Embarrassing this has gone on for so long for so many people. Has Google just moved on to support their pro system only now? I knew I was buying into a slightly older product but come on! I'm only asking for 125mb not 1gig!

I wish it was the fact they moved on to the new system. But I've seen posts before that. All they would say is we're closing this ticket. It's a known issue we are looking into. But never a solution. 

Deric_7
Community Member

If it's any consolation, I'm hearing that the Pro system has the identical problem, and they're not fixing it either.

carlk
Community Member

I connected to the router with my PC and it gets good speeds so I suspect that it is the google home app that is giving bad data.  When  I sent that to google support, they commented that there has been issue with the app for testing speed.  Not sure that that is a tough thing to figure out. Our ATT app tests their gateway very well.

Deric_7
Community Member

I'm pretty sure that your ATT app is testing the speed from your modem to the Internet. If it's just a problem with the home app, ask one of the WiFi points to check the Internet speed, it will tell you the speed, which should match what you see in the app pretty closely

carlk
Community Member

How do you test the speed on one of the wifi points?  The app only lets you test the speed of the router or a mesh test and the mesh test just tells you about connectivity, not speed.

Deric_7
Community Member

In the Home app> WiFi > Internet, from there you can run the test

Without the app, "Okay Google, what's my internet speed?"

carlk
Community Member

That is the speed for the google router, not a wifi point.  I am not sure asking google will return the actual speed the is being pushed out.  It will probably run the router speed test, not the speed of the wifi for that specific device.

carlk
Community Member

if I run the google home app, is it 535/121 (down/up) and if I ask the hub next to my desk it 437/115.  Neither anywhere near the wired test of 900+/800+ (connecting a pc to the google nest router) or the ATT speed of the gateway 1000/952.  Also, in the ATT app, it tests the phone wifi speed and it is 70/32 (so terrible on my phone at the moment).

steelgtr
Community Member

The app shows what point each device is connected to. I get almost full speed (3-400 Mb) ONLY connected to the main router point (wi fi).   If I move to the living room or kitchen point it drops the 50 to maybe 100.

carlk
Community Member

Just to add, yes, the ATT app only tests the speed from the gateway to the internet but it, at least, tells me the speed coming into the  house.  I can then test the speed at a port by connecting my PC to it and running a speed test and then the same as the google home router, which I have done. I  have also tested the wifi speed with my phone but I really don't know what is being pushed out to the house via the router.  When I run the google home app speed test on the router, I thought maybe that is what is being pushed out but it is about half the speed of the wired speed test.

Deric_7
Community Member

WiFi will always be considerably slower than a wired connection to the gateway, however, you can test the difference in throughput by connecting your phone (or PC) to the WiFi on the gateway, run a speed test (speedtest.net seems pretty reliable), changing WiFi networks, and then repeating. You might be surprised to see exactly how much the Nest WiFi is losing in bandwidth.

carlk
Community Member

understood.  I expect the wifi to be slower than the wired connection but, as you could see from my current results it goes from 900+ to about 70.  I have tested before on my phone and it is more than that, not sure why it is so slow now.  I have tested the gateway and router by connecting direct to them so I am confident to about those speeds (900+/800+).  The Google Home app consistently tests at 500ish down and 121 up. For some weird reason, the up is almost always 121.  Even another person tested their network and their numbers were almost exactly the same as mine...with the same upload speed.  For our setup, we have 3 wifi points in our mesh and then the router but still get lagging speeds on our son's PC in the game room.  I have bypassed the wifi router and connected my office PC and smart TV directly to the gateway so there aren't issues with splitting bandwidth going to the router.

Deric_7
Community Member

I'm having the same experience as everyone else here, I just thought I could help explain a good way to quantify the data loss

carlk
Community Member

This is an older thread but it is now January 2023 and it isn't fixed  yet?  I also have the ATT 1 gig fiber but speed via the google home app at the nest router is 500ish down and 121 up.  I have connected a PC directly to the nest router and it gets speeds of 900+ down and 800+ up so how can a PC passing through the router get those speeds while the google home app and the google wifi app show 500/121?

jas2
Community Member

@Jeffcare to give users an update? 

Deric_7
Community Member

It's been threatened many times in this thread that people won't buy another Google product because of this, and that's really unfortunate with the stake that they're putting into Matter, the IoT platform, as they'll certainly have the most available products. But I agree, if this is how they handle a massive issue (by placating the end users with stories about firmware updates and otherwise ignoring the problem), then I suppose that large new customer base will have to go elsewhere.

carlk
Community Member

I have fixed my issue with the google router and access points that I have lived with for years.  I just bought the ROG Rapture GT6.....and now have getting the speeds that I have paid for...almost a 1 Gbps everywhere in the house.  Anybody on the market for a Nest router and 3 access points? 🙂

Gargamel
Community Member

I search the whole internet and came up with this website for a general internet speed test check out it may help with the topic. speed test

Mshiz
Community Member

I’ve been trying to find out the answer to this too. I purchased and returned my 3 pack of Nest Mesh devices. This is a huge issue that google needs to fix, I need max speeds for working from home. 

Robram81
Community Member

I waited for almost a year for Google to fix this issue. I finally gave up and replaced it with a Deco AX3000 and couldn’t be happier. 

Mshiz
Community Member

I spent longer than I should have confirming this as well. Google throttles the speeds through their mesh network. I went with Eero tonight which sucks because I have a large investment in other google nest products. 

Unsure why they decided to do that when it’s clear they didn’t have to. 

DC7337
Community Member

Need to spread the word. I also have 4 google wifi pucks that is only showing 70mbs download at device end while having 800mbs+ download service. What is google doing...

It’s pretty clear that they have no idea what they are doing and ZERO idea how to fix this issue. 

DC7337
Community Member

Do we know if we have the latest / most current firmware version on our google wifi? Mine is still showing 14150.376.32

Is there a newer firmware? Where can we check the firmware release notes/updates?

Mecaniac
Community Member

Hello, it is April 22, 2023 and I see that the problem is absolutely not solved. Well done Google!! After your mediocre warranty on your Pixel 7 Pro which breaks, you make radio silence on your Google Wifi! I just had fiber at home, and now that I have an excellent internet connection and dozens of different tests (CAT6 cable, reset etc...) I realize that I have the same problem as you . I am in contact with the technical support, which is not even aware and makes me do tests that I have already done and which are useless. I think I will sell this mediocre product (to be polite) and buy a reliable product from a brand that knows how.

Mecaniac
Community Member

Your silence makes me think it's a hardware problem and not a software one. Since 2021 no corrective update! We should do a class action and all ask for a refund.

Verdant
Community Member

My problem ended up being a problem with the ISP. Not the Google Router itself. I solved when I switched. Hopefully this works for everyone else as well. Thanks

NYSenz
Community Member

I have been following these threads for years and extremely dissapointed that:

1. There has been no resolution to a horrific key issue in 3-4 years

2. Google provides no transparency - consistently they are working on the issue, releasing new firmware, merging and closing threads, with no resolution or attempt whatsoever. Breaking trust with clients 

3. Has issued no recall, message, notice for new customers, or frankly any possible solution

4. Literally customers are talking about the solution being purchasing another system… I have stuck here for years because I appreciate googles products and am dissapointed to have spent 3x what other solutions cost for this to be worse that my stock Fios router…

if you want to resolve this post a resolution, do not ask for a private survey submission just to close out the thread…

I am giving this until April 30th 2023… at that point if there is no resolution , or an actual date and description in detail of the proposed fix, I am purchasing another product and if anyone is filing a class action lawsuit I am happy to share my info as well as this is basically a $300+ robbery if the product doesn’t even accomplish its main function… ugh

Prathi
Community Member

I had the same problem with google wifi downgrading a 500 mbps to 98 mbps . This is what I did . Went to the google home app selected the google wifi device . Scrolled down to restart the network . Takes about 5 min . Tested the google wifi speed within the app . Now iam getting 500 mbps across the mesh . Never  could fig out what was wrong and how it got resolved .

carlk
Community Member

I had done that also with no help but we have a 1 Gbps Internet that was only downloading at about 500 and upload about 120.

DC7337
Community Member

What’s your firmware version on the Google Wi-Fi devices?

Luth1222
Community Member

I have the exact same problem and I thought I was the only one. I've actually been having this problem since the Google Wifi device I got before (e.g. TP link On-Hub and the regular Google Wifi router). I have the problem where every other day or so, speeds on the Wifi (wired is fine) would drop down to < 5Mbps. Same as everyone else, it gets better after a reboot. It seems to happen on individual devices as some times it happens on the repeater (e.g. I turn off the repeater, and things go back to normal), and some times it happens on the main router and the repeater. This has been driving me nuts for the past few years and I thought Nest Wifi would've gotten this fixed. It's still broken...