cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wired wifi point nest pro

JulioHidalgo
Community Member

Hi all,

If wired my second nest pro through a switch to the primary router. However this wifi point keeps connecting via wifi to to the router and not picking the LAN. Any advise on the config required when setting up the extension or any other setting to make it work will be much appreciated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @JulioHidalgo 

The two issues most people run into are cabling and smart/managed switches that support loop detection. Testing with another Ethernet device can help rule out cabling issues, but occasionally a cable works with one device, but not another (this seems to be more likely with stiffer cat6 cables). What make and model of ethernet switch are you using? I may be able to determine whether it supports loop detection. This is usually something only smart/managed switches include, but I have seen some unmanaged switches that include it as well on occasion.

The other issue I've seen is people connecting the secondary to the same "outer" network as the primary – it needs to be connected into the "inner" network created by the primary/router Nest WiFi Pro, accessed through the primary unit's LAN Ethernet port.

I would try breaking the system down into the simplest possible configuration first: secondary Nest WiFi Pro connected directly to primary/router Nest WiFi Pro unit's LAN Ethernet port. Use a short, known-good Ethernet cable. It''s ok for this first test for them both to be in the same room. Make sure the switch isn't in the system yet. Verify in the Google Home app under the secondary's detailed info that its connection type shows as "wired".

Once that works, then introduce the switch (still using short cables in the same room) back into the system, connecting it to the primary's LAN Ethernet port, and the secondary unit connected to the switch. If it doesn't show as "wired", or if it flips back and forth, then I would suspect the switch is running loop detection, and that will need to be disabled or the other cable being used is bad.

But, if it does show as wired – consistently  – then I would move it back into the room you want it in and connect through the longer cable. If that doesn't work, then you should suspect that long cable.

JulioHidalgo
Community Member

Thanks Michael. The switch is DLink 1016D with the only 3 config levers set to off. Actually my wifi point shows as wired but it shows weak connection on the status leading me to think it is actually wifi... 

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Ok, that switch appears to be unmanaged, and unlikely to implement loop detection. But, the fact yours is showing "wired" but a mesh test as "weak" is an indication that your Ethernet connection is only managing to negotiate a 100Mbps link (using one twisted pair of wires) instead of the full 1Gbps link (using all four twisted pairs). It's not an indication it's falling back to the wireless mesh.

So, I would focus on your cabling – both between the primary/router Nest WiFi Pro unit's LAN Ethernet port and the switch, and between the switch and the secondary Nest WiFi Pro.

JulioHidalgo
Community Member

Hi Michael, the wiring I've in place is cat6. In addition when I make a test with my laptop in the same ethernet port I had the nest wifi point connected it shows the right speed connection and connectivity hence the wiring seems to be fine.

It is unfortunate +15 days have passed since I purchased as I'd return this. The lack of specifications and warnings about the requirements for the wired connection are concerning when indeed you see many users with the same issue in different community posts. I'm even hesitant to spend more in a cheaper and more simple unmanaged switch as I'm not even sure if that will solve the issue.