cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wireless Backhaul Speeds On Ethernet Devices

MarkyR74
Community Member

Hi, I am wondering if anyone in the community can help, I may get the Google WiFi Pro, but I won’t be able to use Ethernet backhaul as I’ll need the Ethernet ports for my devices, so I was wondering with a PC or a PS5 plugged into a router using wireless backhaul, using a 2 puck system not 3, what speeds would the devices see plugged in by Ethernet on a gigabit fibre connection? Would they see speeds of say 700mbps or more? The routers would be 7 to 8 meters apart one in the hallway and one at the top of the stairs directly in line with the main one more or less.

8 REPLIES 8

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

That's an impossible question to answer, as it depends on so many different factors, such as the size, layout, and construction of your home (thicker denser materials are great at blocking signal), where you place your Wifi points, and wireless interference to name a few.

Google has good guidance on where to place your Wifi points:
Where to place your Wifi devices - Google Nest Help

One thing that's not explicitly stated is you should aim to place your primary Wifi point as close as possible to the centre of your home. That's because the Google Wifi and Nest Wifi mesh system uses a fewest hops approach. If one of your secondary points can get even a weak connection to your primary Wifi point, it will do that instead of going through an intermediary Wifi point that may physically be closer. That's why not installing them in a straight line, and placing your primary Wifi point close to the centre of your home really helps, along with all the other guidance in that article above.

My recommendation would be to keep the receipt for them and see how they perform after following the steps above. They are designed to mesh wirelessly, so I wouldn't worry about ethernet backhaul at this stage before you've even tested wireless mesh in your setup.

MarkyR74
Community Member

Let me rephrase it then, what is the fastest speeds the Pro 6E has got using wireless backhaul. And has it got 700mbps plus over wireless backhaul ever in tests?

Sadly I am still waiting to be able to order my gigabit broadband as the lines are still being tested. But I am thinking of buying the pro 6E and returning them if they don't do what I want.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Yes, that is absolutely possible but again, as I said, it depends on so many different factors. To get that kind of speed to a single device, you need internet service that can provide that speed or higher, the device itself has to be capable of sending and receiving data at those speeds, as well as the layout and construction of your home etc as I explained above. That's why you'll always see these kinds of disclaimers like the ones below.

Up to 2x faster as compared to a Wi-Fi 6 router that supports 80 MHz channels. Wi-Fi 6E specifications are based on use of a Wi-Fi 6 or later-generation client device that supports 160 MHz channels. Actual speeds depend on your Internet Service Provider, network conditions, connected device, local regulations and environmental factors. Additional routers may be needed for full coverage. A Wi-Fi 6E client device is needed to directly access the 6 GHz band, which is limited to indoor use only. Actual speeds depend on your Internet Service Provider, network conditions, connected device, local regulations and environmental factors.

vayvanne
Community Member

my bet - more than 850 mbps.

Thanks. I’ve ordered them now so will give them a go.

so how did it go?

mjcalabrese5121
Community Member

Why not just get a Gig-E LAN switch and use the Ethernet backhaul?  Wireless backhaul has so many "ifs" whereas the Ethernet will be consistent as it's a dedicated connection.  

I used to have a home-office setup with Netgear 5-port GigE switches cascaded and that left the WiFi devices to their own world and the wired devices were happy being wired. I would prefer to have my whole home wired, but that wasn't an available option when we bought it.

What is the best router or switch to use?