cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest Hub 2nd gen as Thread Border Router: reach out an IPv4 address (NAT64 feature)

nikapov
Community Member

Hello,

I was able to correctly commission and control a Matter enabled thread device (Nordic DK board flashed with light bulb Matter demo app) using Google Home Android app and Nest Hub 2nd gen as a border router (good job guys).

Now I am wondering whether there is any way to reach an external IPv4 address from the node. In my understanding this should be guaranteed by NAT64 ipv6-to-ipv4 translation (https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6052) , which btw is a feature provided with OpenThread border router.

However, it seems that well-known prefix 64:ff9b::/96 is not working with Nest Hub, any attempt to ping an external IPv4 address fails.

Shall I use a different prefix? Or maybe the feature is just not enabled here?   

Thank you and Regards,

Nicola

1 Recommended Answer

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert

As of now NAT64 feature is not incorporated into the Matter Integration. I would recommend checking back again sometime as we are working towards refining and making the product better so as to cater to these functionalities .

View Recommended Answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

nikapov
Community Member

@sipriyadarshi any hint?
Tried many times with different prefixes, it seems to me that the functionality is just not enabled. Would be interesting to get a confirmation from Google and to understand  if/when the NAT64 feature is coming to Nest Hub.

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert

As of now NAT64 feature is not incorporated into the Matter Integration. I would recommend checking back again sometime as we are working towards refining and making the product better so as to cater to these functionalities .

Sounds great, looking forward to your updates then 🙂 

Good 

aleksandar_petr
Community Member

May i ask how did you accomplish commissioning matter-over-thread device on nest hub 2? I've tried connecting both EFR32MG12 and ESP32H2 light examples to nest hub 2, but in both cases i get "you need a thread border router" error.

thanks!

Romain_FF_KM
Community Member

Any news about NAT64 integration into Nest Hub 2nd gen. please? It could be great to see it on 🙂

federicoceres
Community Member

News about NAT64 integration?