cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Adding things to shopping list replies with a mention that the list is already existing

ThomasVDR
Community Member

Eversince today, whenever I try adding something to my shopping list, google answers saying that the list with this name already exists (yes it does indeed) and asks if I'm sure I want to create a new one (no, I don't). If I answer NO to the question, he asks again and again and again. 

I have this problem in Dutch. Ever since the update to google keep we have to say "Voeg xxx toe aan de boodschappenlijst". This worked for 2 weeks but as of today it doesn't anymore;

I have a mix of Nest Mini and Nest Hub and Nest Audio and have the same issue on all devices.

Also, when asking what's on my shopping lists, she replies that there are 12 items on it, while there are many more.

Anybody else experiencing this issue?

Thinking of switching to English on my devices - kind off had it with all the issues in Dutch but that would be annoying for my kids.

23 REPLIES 23

Mirthe
Community Member

I've had something similar, also in Dutch, since switching to Google Keep the nest can't find my shopping list anymore. Hope this can be fixed as I like shouting groceries at it while meal prepping.

Myrnar
Community Member

Same problem here since yesterday, with Nest Mini and assistant on phone and smartwatch.

Zweef
Community Member

Same problem. It's back to where it was after the move to keep.  "Voeg to" worked bit not anymore. But the boyfriend works with his apple and that works fine now. Wth did they do? So annoying. And if I ask whats on it she  is back to setting a timer. Frustrating as hell

DOG425
Community Member

Exactly the same issue here since  very recently. We use Swedish as language and it seems to be an issue regardless of which unit responds (nest, hub or phone). One time it also asked me to verify my voice which a has worked for years... it's not impossible I need to teach it how I sound annoyed as well, bc this is annoying as hell! I don't want a billion lists called "inköpslista" ("shopping list" in Swedish), with one item on each, and jump through hoops to even get that!

JaSc
Community Member

I have the same problem with German. Very annoying. Google doesn't add entries to lists, but wants to create new lists all the time.

ThomasVDR
Community Member

We’ve found a workaround. Saying “kaas toevoegen aan de boodschappenlijst” seems to work. 
That’s Dutch. No idea on other languages. 
very annoying that this suddenly changes and you have to figure out what to do. 
All those smart people at google and still they are messing things up that previously worked fine. Very disappointing and looking forward to next gen home assistentes. 

Myrnar
Community Member

Thanks, works with German too.

I usually said "Setze Käse auf die Einkaufsliste" (Put cheese on the shopping list), now I have to say "Käse zur Einkaufsliste hinzufügen" (Add cheese to the shopping list). The difference is way smaller in English than in German though.

JaSc
Community Member

Thank you, that works. Let's see how long it takes me to get used to it.

Dit werkt idd....kijken hoe lang het duurt voor ze dit er weer uit slopen

This workaround worked for like a week or two but now the issue is back. Did you found another solution or is your shopping list still working?

....WHY GOOGLE WHY?

Last night, the original version in German worked for me again: "Set xyz on the shopping list".

DOG425
Community Member

Corresponding thing worked now when I tested it in Swedish as well ("Sätt kaffe på inköpslistan"), hopefully it will continue working...

Niklash
Community Member

Same problem with Swedish. Very frustrating

Alltjagvill
Community Member

Same here (Swedish). Besides adding timers and listen to music, this is my main use of the nests units. This MUST be fixed ASAP.

Mirthe
Community Member

It varies a lot these days, some things work one day and fail the next.

I'm currently using "what's on my list?", it shows the list and I can use "add apples" to add.

If I use 'add apples to my list' like I used to, it can't find the list.

Very strange.

SU-user
Community Member

Exactly the same problem.

Only finds the list if already telling me what's on it.

Rephrasing the question (in Swedish) does not work, currently (AGAIN!) it says it can't find a list called shopping list and  asks if I want to create one.

SU-user
Community Member

Any news on this bug? I have reported it several times to Google via the app but it still doesn't work, over a month ago now. Really unsatisfactory!

Well in dutch it works if you say: zet melk op DE boodschappen lijst. Seems like a crappy translation issue. before the migration it always worked flawlessly. I have not tried other list names. If that works I can live with the issue for now. But is still annoying as f*ck

I use Swedish and have also configured English as second language and it doesn't work in English nor any variation of Swedish wordings that I have found.

No list names work. It can READ the list fine so it's obviously there, but when trying to add items, it's never found.

Ever since a couple of weeks it seems to be back to normal so for me it is fixed. 

SU-user
Community Member

Ok, after trying tens of ways to ask I found that if I ask it to add something to a NEW list, it does add it to the EXISTING shopping list.

This is of course exactly how it's meant to work and super intuitive (*irony*)

This function is ridiculously crappy nowadays 🤪

SU-user
Community Member

It looks very much like an swapped "if statement", i.e. incompetent coding and insufficient testing.

If I ask it to add items to an existing list, it wants to create a new list.

If I ask it to add a  item to a new list, it adds it to the existing Shopping list.

Logical error in code, obviously. Should be super easy to fix if anyone cared about it.

I have the same feeling, but google doesn't seem to care about this basic fuction.