cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera doesn’t play live video

EJ1985
Community Member

I have owned a Nest Hub Max since the pandemic and with Nest Guard, and everything worked beautifully until they stopped support in early April. I had a routine where I’d say “goodbye” or “goodnight” and it would automatically turn on my Nest Hub Max camera and send push notifications if motion detected. With the forced change to ADT and removal of support for Nest Guard, I have now not only lost that feature, but also when I try to view live footage on my Nest Hub Max camera, it is extremely lagging all of a sudden.

1. Does anyone know how to set up an automation that turns the camera on when telling Google goodbye for instance?

2. Since Nest app is going away, does anyone know how to use Google home to show live video on Nest Hub Max camera that doesn’t lag? Otherwise this device has also become as useless to me as the Nest Guard - $230 down the drain all because of the greed to force us to shift to ADT monitoring…

Thanks for any help you can provide!

5 REPLIES 5

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@EJ1985 

We have a Nest Hub Max and several Nest Hubs, and have not noticed any change in viewing live footage on any of those devices since April 8, 2024. Since the support Google Nest discontinued on April 8 was for Dropcams and for the Nest Secure alarm system (including Nest Guards), I don't think it SHOULD have had any effect at all on Nest Hub Maxes or Nest Hubs.

Thank you for replying. I might not have been as clear in my original post. I’m trying to use Google home on my phone to view live feed from the camera on my Nest Hub Max. That is the video feed that is very much lagging. Google Home app won’t allow me to view Nest Cam without going though the Nest app, (which I was told by a Google support team member on phone today that it will go away soon). Video feed of Nest Hub Max camera is also lagging on Nest’s app

@EJ1985 

First, Google Nest has not announced that the Google Nest app is going away. If it did, our three Nest Hello Doorbells would quit working.

Second, I why don't you just stream your cameras directly on the Nest Hub Max? That's what we've always done. Why would you want to use the Google Home app or the Google Nest app on your phone to stream to your Nest Hub Max? It seems that would just add unnecessary overhead.

ADT gave me a new Nest Doorbell as Nest Hello doorbells were supposed to stop having support as well. I removed my doorbell the day before support ended. I’m surprised your Nest Hello doorbells still work.

As per the Nest Hub Max camera issue: what I’m trying to do is access the live camera feed of the camera that the Nest Hub Max has built in. That built in camera is what I’m trying to get showing in my Google Home app when I’m away from home to drop in and view live footage. That footage is what is lagging horribly

@EJ1985 

Support for Google Nest Hello Doorbells has NOT ended.  While Google Nest has not announced what its plans are for the Nest Hello Doorbells, in the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app, it is possible to "transfer" 1st gen indoor and outdoor cameras to that version, but that option is not yet available for IQ cameras, or 1st gen Nest Hello Doorbells, or the Nest cameras in Nest Hub Maxes, and many Nest app functions have still not been moved to the Google Home app, so we're still waiting.

I didn't realize you were trying to view the camera on your Nest Hub Max on your phone.  I don't know why that is now lagging, but then we seldom try to do that.