cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Cannot play BBC radio stations

justabusstopinh
Community Member

for the past year have listened to BBC radio with no problems. Since Monday 4th Oct complete silence. Why?

112 REPLIES 112

Zed
Community Member

I've had the same issue since 4th October also. None of the BBC stations play on my Nest Mini. It'll say ok, then silence. I called Nest Home support & they think it's the BBC's servers. The agent I spoke to said they can't do anything better it's a BBC server issue (they think)

Tig27
Community Member

I've had exactly thr same. I've been listening to BBC Radio stations on my Google Mini for the past two years. But since this week 8th Oct, suddenly silence. I can other stations on it no probs. But I ask for BBC, Google says its playing, but silence. 

Zed
Community Member

Yes, that's exactly it. So peculiar. I guess it helps knowing that we're not alone, but on the other hand it's still inconvenient. Strength in numbers, I guess.

Has Google Nest support provided any feedback?

Lurpak
Community Member

Same here, although it's only the Nest WiFi point in the kitchen, the one I always use for BBC radio, that's not working. The other one that I rarely use for radio is still working fine. In the kitchen, I ask for radio 1 and it says OK playing Radio 1 from the BBC and then silence.

Lurpak
Community Member

Factory reset had no effect either.

Nhague
Community Member

I have the same issue. One speaker works with BBC radio the other not. Tried resetting with no joy. 

Judemon
Community Member

Yes, I have two Google home speakers also in the same group. One will play BBC radio, the other says it will, but nothing happens. Is it a BBC device login thing? 

Lurpak
Community Member

Fixed for me this morning. I didn't do anything different.

Thanks Google or BBC or both.

NG2Pie
Community Member

It's notable that the BBC station icon is visible on the Google Home app. - but the station is paused and won't play.

Zed
Community Member

Have any of you had luck with Google Nest's customer service/tech support?

lyn_jones001
Community Member

Good to know its not just me,  has anyone made any progress on this problem?

Whistlejacket
Community Member

I deleted and re-installed Home & Assistant, set up Nest Mini from scratch.  Still says it's playing BBC Radio but no sound at all.

I've also tried rebooting to no effect. Any advice on what to do next?

justabusstopinh
Community Member

BBC say not aware of any problems! Google say it's a BBC problem. I have tried all sorts to remedy. As Simon and Garfunkel once sang all I get is "sounds of silence"

Which bit of the BBC empire did you message (so more of us can indicate that there is a real issue). Thanks.

I have had a conversation with the Sounds unit. They were helpful, recognised it was an issue with a group of users, made some suggestions, none of which worked then said it was a Google issue.

Hey everyone,

I can see a few customers have confirmed their BBC radio stations are working as they should and I'm glad to hear that! If you're still having issues, please let me know. Thank you for your patience! 

Terryonthekop
Community Member

I've just switched from Alexa to Google nest. After about a week of purchase and playing BBC channels without a problem, it now no longer plays BBC. Everything else is fine. Seeking a refund and going back to Amazon. Especially as on an official Google forum, no response from Google

FrankiesBoots
Community Member

Same issue here. One device is working fine, the other in another room just won't play any BBC station. Incredibly frustrating. 

Janeburrows93
Community Member

Why does my google home device suddenly not play bbc radio stations. I have requested it in the last 2 days and the google home device just stays silent? Not even an error message? 

Same.  No changes made to anything and it's only used to play BBC stations and news mostly. No error messages.. just silence. Following 🙂

May be connected. Just downloaded phone app 'tuned in'  to listen to radio 1 and it says it's not available in your region (it is I live in a Midlands town UK) 

Same issue here.  Tried switching off and on and hasn't fixed the issue.

Exactly the same as above...always use BBC radio stations and when asked to play them it stated streaming to BBC radio 2 etc and then goes silent ...no statement as to why, plus plays other radio stations okay I have rebooted several times but no change ...HELP very frustraing

Oldbill70
Community Member

Help I've tried rebooting several times the Google Nest but it still will not connect to BBC radio stations, other radio stations YES...Should I complete a factory reset, has anyone else tried this and had success?

I am having the same problem, no BBC stations! I have just tried a factory reset, but still no joy.

Polly
Community Member

I’m having the same issue 

SimonB
Community Member

Me too, factory reset also did not work. I have two and both stopped playing BBC stations Friday morning.

Zed
Community Member

I'm not sure what to do. 

Hey @Oldbill70 not sure if you're in the UK or elsewhere, but it was my understanding some time ago that BBC's iPlayer was necessary to play their streams. I'm not sure if that's changed or has been updated but it's worth checking into.

Hey GothamNY, you're a genius! Just downloaded the iPlayer app onto my device and  I once again have all BBC stations on my speaker! Hope it works for everyone else!

Glad that worked for you, hope it works for others as well.

Zed
Community Member

I have the BBC Sounds app on my device, but it makes no difference. It's curious that all of this started on the same day. 

BrotherBongo
Community Member

Hey Zed, it was the i-Player app, not the Sounds app that I had to install.

It might be a long shot, but if you have the i-Player app already, try uninstalling and reinstalling it?

Zed
Community Member

Hello BB,

Thank you for the tips. I'm not in the UK, so the other app has limitations. I sent a tweet & got a reply. They're starting to get reports about the issue. I guess as more reports come in, it'll help them get a sense of the nature of the issue. So, we should make a point of reporting the issue. 

Krystyna
Community Member

it is curious…. There must be something we can do…..it seems very unfair not to be able to listen to our favourite radio station..it the main reason I use mine…

oh wow!!!! How do I do that then….

Nhague
Community Member

I have the same issue - one of my Nest mini speaker no longer plays any BBC radio stations. This all started yesterday. My other speaker works fine though. I have tried a factory reset but this hasn’t worked. When I ask it to “play BBC radio 4” it says “playing bbc radio 4 from the bbc” on my Google Home app the speaker looks like it’s playing BBC Radio 4 but there’s no sound. Command for other stations on TuneIn radio work fine. 

I hoping someone can advise please.

thanks.  

I have exactly the same issue. 

Others are saying to download BBC iPlayer but I have no idea how to do this onto my Google home mini.