cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Home takes 5-7 seconds to hear "Hey Google" or "OK Google"

bigdonk
Community Member

All of a sudden my Google Home isn't working properly. I performed a factory reset and the problem was fixed for a couple hours and then started again. If you stand right by the device and say either command it takes 5-7 seconds before it lights up or does anything. It should light up instantly and respond or listen for a command which it doesn't. If you wake it up and give a command at the same time it still works most of the time after the delay. However, if you wake it up and then wait for the lights and then give a command it just shuts off and does nothing. I am guessing the mic delay times out while we wait for it to light up.

Anyone have any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Have you tried adjusting its sensitivity to "hey google"?

https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/9712065

bigdonk
Community Member

I did, but I think that's just if it doesn't hear you. This one hears you, but just takes the 5-7 seconds before it does anything.

Plus it's been working great since we got it years ago. I even tried putting it in a different spot and that didn't help.

sethlesemann
Community Member

I have a Google Home Gen 1 and Google Mini Gen 1 and they both started having the exact same problem (taking 5-7 seconds to respond to "Hey, Google" and "Ok, Google"). Hasn't been an issue in the 2-3 years I've had them until about 2 days ago.

I have also tried adjusting the sensitivity on both of them without any change. Along with rebooting my modem and router, checking the firmware on both (1.56.282045), and testing other Google devices in my house (both my Lenovo Smart Clock Gen 1 and Lenovo Smart Clock Essentials respond to the wake words instantly).