cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest Mini gen 2 keeps saying "Sorry, I can't change the volume from this device"

Suzique
Community Member

Everything has been working fine for ages, now I'm asking Google to change the volume and it says...
"sorry, I can't change the volume on this device". 
 I've gone through my Google Home settings and I can adjust the volume within that.  I can also adjust the volume when I tap on the speaker....but it won't obey commands.
It is set up in Stereo with another Nest Mini....and that works fine.
If I ask other things, eg time, weather...it's fine.  If I ask it to turn on/off the light...it's fine.

1 Recommended Answer

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

I know that most of you will have already seen our Community's Blog post about the speaker volume here Upcoming Speaker Group changes - Google Nest Community 

I will check to see if we can get this link put near the top or pinned so everybody is informed.  

Updated: directed to select as solution and that is the only way to keep it at the top.

View Recommended Answer in original post

318 REPLIES 318

Halo69
Community Member

After 6 six days still no fix! For a major industry like Google this shouldn't take so long to solve. It's beginning to get quite outrageous. Come on, Google: you can't treat your customers like this. If factory resets don't even do the trick, do something about this.

Thing is, this couldn't happen at a worse time. Just when the radio stations are playing these great lists, you constantly have to use the app to put the volume up when you hear a favorite song. 

Kadven
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

This morning (in UK) neither of my google nest audio stereo speaker pair would work.  Thought (wrongly) that perhaps google had pushed out an update to try and fix these problems that have occurred in the past week. Had to factory reset both speakers and then set them up again. They started working and I thought things would be better but to no avail. Problems still there.

Come on Google fix these problems that you have introduced last week. Why not just roll back the changes they made, after all a week ago there was no problem.

Maylomaylo13
Community Member

Same here with speaker groups since the last update. Tried everything up to factory resetting all speakers. 

What update?

On one of my speakers there was an update when I reset them on Monday. Guess that‘s what causes the issue.

Ok, but where can you see there was an update? I mean i haven't seen any info about any update on my Nest speaker. 

It appeared in the Google Home app during the setup after resetting. 

Ah ok 👍 

Acetrip
Community Member

same here for the last few days..

any solution yet?

Whynot
Community Member

https://twitter.com/kgmarais/status/########################6?s=21

Keith Marais
www.linkedin.com/in/keithglennmarais/

MaydayIT
Community Member

+1 here.  Around the same time I changed my wifi network so I thought that may have played into it until a second set of speakers started doing it.  I can change it from my phone without issue but the whole idea of an assistant-enabled speaker is that you don't hve to!

ScottElsworthy
Community Member

Just been on chat to Google support and they said they have no reports of an issue. Are we even sure they have this on the bug tracker? With no one from Google responding here, I wouldn't be surprised if no one is even fixing it.

I posted it to twitter and ran through the issues with Google as they encouraged me to reset my speakers to see if it reoccurred. It was still happening - they logged it as an error and said they’ll get back to me. https://twitter.com/kgmarais/status/########################6?s=21

Keith Marais

Whynot
Community Member

alphaOri
Community Member

Mine is doing this too.  I have a pair of nest audios and a chromecast in a speaker group.

ScottElsworthy
Community Member

Their support person said they would call back today.. We'll see lol

MikeM62
Community Member

Mine too. I have a Max and two regular home speakers (the latter in a pair) as part of my kitchen group. I can change the Max volume but not the pair (the app does work though). It's been going on for more than a week and I'm surprised Google hasn't fixed it yet... Bit awkward having to use the app all the time when there are people over for Christmas. 

ScottElsworthy
Community Member
This does not sound good - from the Google support team. Either their internal knowledge management sucks or they dont actually have this on their bug tracker. Lots of talk on Twitter, here and Reddit but I see no official reply from anyone at Google.

Hello Scott,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Nest Customer Care Team.

Got a confirmation from higher tier that they will check the issue and file a feedback about this since we don't have any reports yet like yours to announce that it was a issue across Google Home devices. But if you have time later, you may try to continue on troubleshooting it physically by unplugging it from power and factory reset one of them to clear cache and get the default settings back and set it up back to the app like a brand new device. Also, file a feedback using "Hey Google, send feedback." - you will have 90 seconds time to provide the feedback and this will go straight to the server of product engineers.

For your reference your case number is 5-############2572. If you need more help, you can contact us again and reference this case number or reply to this email to reopen your case.

Have a new question? There are lots of ways to get back in touch with us below.

Damhert
Community Member

I have the same issue. There are constantly issues with these devices. A few examples: they show up unpaired quite often in the Google Home app, rendering them uncontrollable without restarting them; faulty volume controls; not properly registering in other apps for casting, then they show up as a pair, then they don't show up at all, then only the left speaker shows up; random answers to commands that previously worked just fine; practically not being able to switch between the two languages that you've set up. Google isn't at the point to provide decent, reliable working smart home devices. For now, I would recommend interested customers to look for another brand of smart home speakers. 

LJD
Community Member

I just randomly tried it again as I was typing to google chat to report it, and yay! It's working again here. 

RS_SW
Community Member

I got the issue - reset the devices and tried again and it worked...for a short time...now it's not working again!

With nothing streaming I can use voice control to change the volume but as soon as I start streaming music, radio etcetera I can no longer use voice control.

Has anyone had any long term success with resets, reboots, witchcraft or magic?

gpwusa
Community Member

This issue appears to have resolved for me this morning.  It has been working for the last 5 hours consistently.  Hopefully this means that Google did a fix.

RS_SW
Community Member

Thank you.

Still not working for me in the UK.

Fingers crossed that Google are working on it / rolling out a fix.

FixSpkrPairVol
Community Member

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/Voice-Command-Volume-Adjustments-with-N...

Thank you @Suzique for starting your thread and others for replying to it. 

Hopefully everyone will get fixed (and stay fixed) before Santa drops by.

Happy holidays folks 🙂

Whynot
Community Member

It’s certainly not fixed for me.  I’m wondering if Google will share an error report number and give confirmation of a specific fix? Are these conversations and replies moderated or responded to by Google? 

Keith Marais

RS_SW
Community Member

I had to reset my two Google Nest Mini speakers; I set them up individually as normal.

Once happy with that, I paired the speakers as 'Living Room Pair'.

I continued to get the "Sorry..." error.

After that I set up a Group ('Downstairs') for the pair.

Now, I start music or radio and say "Hey Google, Transfer Downstairs" and I can then use Voice Control for the volume.

I tried setting the Group 'Downstairs' as the default speaker but that doesn't work so I have left it as 'Living Room Pair' and do the Transfer.

If I change Music provider or Radio Station, it goes back to playing on 'Living Room Pair' and I have to transfer to 'Downstairs' again.

Hope this helps someone while we await a solution from Santa Google...

There is no response at all that Google is even aware of this issue.

Kadven
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Hi @RS_SW .

That seems to tie in with the fact that I have often found that issuing the voice command 'Play (radio station) on this device' often seems to correct the situation for a while. My guess in your situation quoted is that if after issuing the command to Transfer Downstairs' then another command to 'Transfer to Living Room Pair' that the voice control for Volume would also work for a time anyway. In other words the error seems to revolve around the fact that the system does not think the music is being played on the device you are initially talking to.

Really do wish somebody from Google would at least give a response to this annoying fault rather that just letting the system say 'Sorry'.

RS_SW
Community Member

I just tried transferring back to the default 'Living Room Pair' and yes, it works as you said i.e. the voice command works as it should

JonasL
Community Member

This does not work for me either. I have 2 nest audios in the living room. Tried pairing/unpairing. Tried resetting. No avail.

MikeM62
Community Member

Yes, me too. I thought it was the workaround routines is set up but I've deleted them and the pairs and groups are working fine now, at last!  Happy New year everyone!!!  

MikeM62
Community Member

Oops.. Spoke too soon. The speaker pair change volume but the other device in the group (a Google Max) still says it can't change the volume.... Getting there but by but maybe...

nellp
Community Member

+1, same issue. one 2nd gen nest audio and one nest mini in a group. 

edmwelch
Community Member

I have a Google home and a Google audio in a group. Until recently if I said "hey Google volume up" it would change the volume on the Google home. A few weeks ago it started telling me it couldn't change the volume on this device. After reading this thread I tried saying: "hey Google change the volume on Google home" and it will now change the volume on the Google home.

RS_SW
Community Member

Good one - further to my earlier replies; I've tried your suggestion and yes, I can say "Hey Google, Volume 5 Home" and that works without having to transfer to a Group...

That's a step closer to being acceptable for me while waiting for a fix.

Thanks for taking the time to post

aaronbieber
Community Member

Same here, started within the last few weeks. Either a device will only change its own volume, or it replies with the sorry message.

I'm in the US, using original Home and new Nest Audio devices. 

Whatever1
Community Member

Google doesn't give a f uck. Multiple posts on their forums and I've not seen one comment from support. Even a "sorry we're looking into this" would be better than f all! Knowing them they'll get anyone who contacts them to piss around and factory reset, then fix the problem they've caused and not own up to it yet again! P.s. f uck you Google.

Pawarisa-
Community Member

Ca you call me please 

FixSpkrPairVol
Community Member

Response from Google Nest customer care, 26 Dec ~22:00 Pacific

"Thanks for reaching out to the Google Nest Customer Care Team. We are currently checking what we can do on this issue. We will make sure to keep you posted in this issue for resolution."

ScottElsworthy
Community Member

Lots of reponses to this thread but still no reply from Google. I wouldn't count on this critical bug being patched anytime soon.