cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Speaker Groups not working

MsLevis
Community Member

I'm also having similar problems-  Have mix of Google audio cast and google enabled speakers across the house- most of the time casting doesn't work - If I go into the home app the groups are disappearing and re-appearing alot- I'll select a group that worked the day before and only one speaker plays - it still shows all devices playing-  I can try it a few times- go in and out of the google home app and try to force it that way- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - all the firmware is up to date and it's just SOOOOO frustrating -  I even went and got a new google home speaker thinking maybe gen1 was causing an issue- nope still same problem-  COME ON GOOGLE!!!  

607 REPLIES 607

Jdurand
Community Member

Well it worked perfectly 1 time, then I tried casting from another device and the old issue was still there.  So I tried again from my computer which worked 30 minutes ago and the problem is back: all speakers and smart displays not made by Google and in a speaker group do not play when casting to the group *&^&^%#^%&%^)(*^%

FrankNL
Community Member

The funny thing is that some days it works, the other day it doesn't. And I did not change a thing in my Deco X60 network nor any Google device settings. (Using Google/Nest Audio stuff only). My conclusion is that we are dealing with clumsy intermittent erroneous software services between the Google servers and the Google home devices as any other thing I have tried didn't work out sustainably. I have had it to be honest.

Stormenorm
Community Member

This it the worst piece of **bleep** I have ever had. I went all in in my house with 4 Google Nest, 4 mini and one Hub. Music in every room and the Hub to control it. So I thought. IT NEVER WORKS! I can play music on separate speakers but when I want to play on multiple speakers, it never works. (Ok it works 2/10 times… with maybe one or two additional speakers). Wish I never bought it. 

And also, going through post, I really can’t find any good solutions to solve it… anyone?

Same for me. Even joining another speaker while casting music does not work 8 out of 10 times. Also my Paired Nest Audio devices (Stereo pair in one room) falls into pieces day to day. After a reset of one speaker in the pair it sometimes works again, sometimes not.... Sometimes I see the pair twice in my house, one pair in the room and one pair (with exact same name) as "not assigned to any room". What a mess!

audiophile1906
Community Member

I totally agree that this is a Google f-up! I have 12 Vizio Chromecast speakers, most separated into Google Home groups, that were casting music just fine a couple months ago thru YT Music. Now, I do recall installing both a Google Home and YT Music update since then, and I suspect that is the root cause of my issues. I've tried most of the solutions proposed in this thread (hard resetting router, CC speakers, checking router settings, ensuring all CC devices on same network SSID as my phone, etc.). No dice.

Google, please address this widespread issue immediately!

Update: on Jan. 18 I spoke to Google support about my casting troubles. They informed me that, due to recent Google updates, they only support devices with Cast firmware level of 1.52.272222 or higher. I found that interesting. I checked my Vizio speakers, and they were all on downlevel versions of Cast, 1.21.75965. I then contacted Vizio support to ask when they will be updating their Cast firmware. Unfortunately, I got an answer I did not expect. Appears my speakers are no longer supported (wow! some are only 2 years old) and they are not updating the Cast firmware. So, essentially, I have a bunch of boat anchors now! It's curious that, on occasion, the casting does work for short periods of time, then won't connect to speaker groups anymore after that. Very weird behavior. Hope this post helps anyone using Vizio products out there -- check that Cast version!

Let me be sure I understand you: The Google cast firmware level needs to be 1.52.27222 or higher, 

Your Vizio speakers have a cast version 1.21.75965. I would be surprised if Vizio and Google maintain the same number for their cast firmware updates, so I assume that the version numbers for Google and Vizio are not the issue, unless they are following some sort of a standard numbering scheme

Juan E. Vargas

Yes, according to the Google support rep, these are the same firmware updates, unless they are mistaken. And the response from the Vizio support rep seems to support that as well.

Datdude76
Community Member

My internet was the problem. Not the speakers. I had previously switched ISPs. Lo and behold that was the issue. After rebooting and resetting the speakers I removed all speakers and groups from Google hone and BAM fixed once I set them up again. Works perfect now that I have better internet 

JuanEduVargas
Community Member

Same issue here. The Vizio soundbar works OK with Google home as long as it is NOT a member of a speaker group.  When I to cast music into a Google Home Speaker group, all the devices get the casting right except the Vizio soundbar. Interestingly enough, the soundbar was able to cast as part of a Google Home Speaker group until December 2021, when a software update was sent by Vizio. I suspect that update messed things up, in other words, poor testing    

Juan E. Vargas

lmduck
Community Member

I read through many of the posts.  Is this problem only happening to users who have a mesh network installed?

If you have a single router network without extenders or mesh setup, can you reply to this post?

In my case I have 6 Google Home Speakers, one Onkyo Receiver, one Sony TV, and one Vizio Soundbar. All the devices have always operated just fine as part of a Google Home Audio Group, except the Vizio. From time to time the Vizio would drop the (wireless) connection. Since a recent update to its firmware (December 2021), the Vizio is not able to connect at all to the Google Home Sound Group.   

Juan E. Vargas

Mine are all google minis that don't work it is all a Google system why the hell does Google not fix this. 

Agooser26
Community Member

Mine is a mesh... the Google minis dont work with anything but other speakers will work it is so frustrating! 

Ujp1357
Community Member

I’ve been following this thread for a while. I’m having the same issues, Orbi Ax6000 mesh, 6 nest audio, 6 nest minis and a display. None of them worked in their speaker groups. Last night I decided to hit the “mute” switch on all of the nest audios thinking maybe they’re confusing each other processing requests. Now the only microphones are the pucks (one in each room) and so far it’s been working for the first time in a couple months. I still have to use the app to control volume, but I can pause it verbally. We’ll see how long it continues to work, but I’m hopeful for the first time in a long time.

blrhead
Community Member

I am seeing many people are still having this issue with group speakers not working. It has now been about three weeks for me and the issues have been resolved. I do believe the issue could be with the router itself. Once I switched the router and set up all my devices, no other issues have been found. I can stream to the group speaker set which is composed of 1 Home Hub, 1 Nest Audio, and 1 Google Home Mini. I didn’t go too deep with the original router, but felt I could have resolved it instead of using my Nest Wi-Fi router which I prefer using anyway.

Anyhow, I feel the issue is with how the router is broadcasting the network which can be causing the issue. 

Ahaaaa! So it’s a master plan to make us all buy the Nest router. I knew it!!

Ha! No, I don’t think so. There are others who have been able to resolve it by changing their router settings. I got too lazy troubleshooting the T-Mobile Home Internet router and once I had already set up the Nest I then realized I can log in to the TMo router to change settings, but by then I was over it lol. 

Any router setting (in simple English) you recommend me to try change?

I am using the Google router and the mini speakers don't work 

Mine doesn't seem to be a network issue... other types of speakers woek. Ut not the Google minis and I am using a Google mesh system. 

CuirBear
Community Member

Yes please! Router settings that work would be amazing.

A week ago, all of my speaker groups worked. It was pure heaven.

Then, while troubleshooting my Nest Protects, I rebooted the router, and lost all speaker group functionality.

CuirBear
Community Member

UPDATE: so, rebooted my router again today. Still no go trying to Cast Spotify to a speaker group. Not even able to add the speakers individually once I cast to one.

So, switched to Youtube Music, and cast to one device. then cast to another - success. Then to another - succeess.

Only two speakers still having issues, which I am about to unplug and re-plug.

Could it be an issue with the way Spotify casts?

Okay. That was short lived. Sigh.

PaulMDavis
Community Member

Update here: After I rebooted my router and reset all my speakers to factory settings, ensuring everything was on the same wifi, and configured the speakers into their rooms in the home app and set up the speaker group -it works. Haven't tried spotify specifically, but I can cast from my phone and my voice using YouTube music, NPR, etc. I'll let you all know if it changes. 

I expect it will not last, been there.  So the bottom line I have found, with netgear mesh networks is they all eventually have serious issues with speaker groups.  Unplug your satellites and restart all you casting devices and everything will work.  Reconnect a satellite and things still work for a bit but the minute any single device has to re-establish it's network connection and BAM you are toast.

Stormenorm
Community Member

So right now what get working is: start Spotify and cast to one (1) of my Nest speakers. Then go to the Google home app > Media (green icon). There I can add most of my speakers one by one. Not all of them but 4/6. The other two works good when I use them separately. 

Good try. But did not work for me.

This worked a few days ago, and I had positive thoughts. But it did not last.

Moozicmon
Community Member

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/6/22871304/google-home-speaker-group-volume-control-changes-sonos-pa... 

More fun news. Definitely looking forward to finishing my conversion to Sonos. Next up is going to iOS/iPhone. Well done Google.

I do somewhat wonder if the reason Google hasn't resolved this relates back to the patents involved in the ongoing case. I've not looked at what patents are involved, but given it's quite possible we may see them kill speaker groups entirely if they're infringing on patents on multi room syncing

hmmm that could be.. I know that my issue was resolved when I used my Nest router and maybe that is the reason why it works for me and haven't had any issues.

Hanky
Community Member

I’ve been running an LG music flow setup with 8 speakers, sound bar & sub for about 4 years, with on again/off again success. Usually depending on the firmware/app updates. Currently, I’m unable to add my soundbar sj8 to a group. A bit of a pain as it’s where the sub connects. Feels like something in a recent app update has messed something up. Hard to tell when, as we’ve been out of our home most 2021. 
This is the message I get (below) when trying to create a speaker group with the soundbar. Again, this has been possible and has been the norm for a few years now. I’d like the problem fixed, or at least acknowledge that there has been a mistake made or devices no longer supported.

The operation couldn't be completed.
(com.google.CastFramework.SetupLib.C
astSetupError error O.)

please fix.

Speaker groups are a big part of my setup. 

Hanky
Community Member

Also. Just to add to my previous comment. 
to be at the stage of making post here in this forum, means I’m beyond being asked ‘have you tried power cycling?’ Kinda questions. 
this **bleep** takes time and effort. Please reciprocate with the equivalent effort and expertise required. 
thanks

TechAddiction
Community Member

Ever since the Dec 15th update to Google Home, I can cast with my voice to a speaker Group and it plays.  When I click on the speaker Group it takes me straight to the Group Settings but no Volume Wheel like normal.  I can click on each speaker separately and get a volume wheel but when grouped this is useless.  I can click on Media at the top and control the volume with my phone but this is very backwards from normal Google Home control.  Google, please fix this.

I just tried voice command to play to a speaker group. The New Hub Max confirmed my request, and the music started playing on one device.

It shows it playing on the Hub Max as well (as it is part of that speaker group), but no sound is coming out.

Stormenorm
Community Member

I wonder when Google will address this….

scrid79
Community Member

I would have though just using Nest Minis would work. Want to connect 3 as a group. All set up, all work individually. Have hard reset all of them twice, rebooted them numerous times and can only get 1 speaker out of the 3 to work. Google Home is so poor.

Can I please have a support case raise too?

Jdurand
Community Member

To Srid79, Google speakers and displays have a very very short wifi range!  Extremely poor.  They need to be close to the router, extender, or satellite to work properly.

CuirBear
Community Member

Yeah, this is obviously not the case.

1. I can cast to any speaker anywhere in my house individually

2. Groups used to work without issues.

Exactly! I can stand anywhere in the house and cast to any speaker - separately. But not together. Which is why I bought them.