cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Speaker Groups not working

MsLevis
Community Member

I'm also having similar problems-  Have mix of Google audio cast and google enabled speakers across the house- most of the time casting doesn't work - If I go into the home app the groups are disappearing and re-appearing alot- I'll select a group that worked the day before and only one speaker plays - it still shows all devices playing-  I can try it a few times- go in and out of the google home app and try to force it that way- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - all the firmware is up to date and it's just SOOOOO frustrating -  I even went and got a new google home speaker thinking maybe gen1 was causing an issue- nope still same problem-  COME ON GOOGLE!!!  

607 REPLIES 607

Been using groups for over 12 years now and they're worse than ever. Maybe celebrate by firing yourself. 

BurntOC
Community Member

Google is trolling us now, I see 

DeeSaR
Community Member

I can assure you, they don't work at this problem at all. Anything the support does, is repeating the same standard tips over and over (since years) the only thing that would help are fw updates for the devices, but in my case there aren't any updates since more than one year. The fw is broken and is not fixed. 

Joey3
Community Member

I gave up, spent too much time on this trying to get my receiver to work. I ended up getting Chromecast for the TV as a workaround. I added Chromecast to my speaker groupwhich in turn will turn on my receiver.

bh56
Community Member

Try assigning a static IP address to all of your Google Cast Devices.  For the most part, after I did this, this solved my quality issues with my devices.  I haven't been able to do my entire house, but one room has 9 devices.  Other rooms have 4-5 on average.  Might have to try my entire house again to see if it works.    But I can devices on one floor to work, so happy with that, although my entire house would be better.  It seems to be network related, because after assigning static IP's for all my cast devices, my smart speaker set up has stabilized a lot.  I also have a mix of vintage of Nest/Cast speakers.  Different types(hub, mini, speakers, home, Lenovo clocks)  So, think it's pretty good that I can get a 9 device speaker group to work pretty well now.

mantis2k
Community Member

I suspect it's wifi network related as well.  Replaced my Netgear wifi 6 router with a TP-Link wifi 6 router and all my issues with my three speaker group went away.  Static IP (DHCP reservation) seems like a good idea too.  

MadPotter
Community Member

All these tips are well and good if you know how to do half this stuff. I am not a techie. My google speaker groups worked fine for 6 months after the very easy set-up when they were new and I was impressed by how easy it was.

Then they stopped working as a group.

I have now spent more hours than I care to count trying to get my 2 nest minis to work in their assigned group. Yesterday one of the minis even randomly dropped off the system altogether so  I deleted my home and devices on the Google Home App, reinstalled my home, did factory resets on both minis and allocated them to a new group. They still don't work as a group. I give up. I will just have to listen to them independently. 

phidel
Community Member

Does anyone have any experience with Alexa? Clearly Google is never going to fix all the issues with its speakers. The inability to make a group function is only the tip of the iceberg. Now it won't even play radio stations on even a single device, regardless of whether you tell it the name, the frequency, the call letters, or anything else. I recently saw that someone had donated a bunch of minis to that thrift shop down the road and they were selling them for $5. Clearly Google has given up trying to support this system and these devices have become electro-trash.