cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google speakers keep losing wifi on new router ("Hold on while I connect to the internet")

dbsb3233
Community Member

I have 4 Google speakers (one old Google Home and 3 new Google Nests).  They worked fine on my old AC1700 wifi router.  I just recently replaced that router with a new 2-unit TP-Link Deco W7200 Tri-Band Wifi6 system.  Every other device I have connected (20+) works great on it, but all 4 Google speakers lose their wifi connection daily.  They connect fine when I set them up, or when I unplug and plug back in.  But they won't STAY connected.  Anywhere from ############ hours later, they give the dreaded "Hold on while I connect to the internet" message upon using the wake word.  I have to unplug/plug to get it to reconnect again.  Highly frustrating.

Any ideas?

114 REPLIES 114

mskinnes
Community Member

I'm in the same boat. First I had the Google Nest Wi-Fi, had huge problems with Google Nest Audio's dropping out. It helped to replace the Google Nest WiFi with TP Link Deco X60, but it still drops out. I have eight Google Nest Audio's, two Google Chromecast TV and one Chromecast Audio. All of them have problems with dropping out. 

This problem is so annoying, some of the Nest Audio's we don't even reconnect, because they fall out of WiFi so often.

Quasarnova
Community Member

Hello to all, 

same problem, I have change the AVM Fritzbox 7530 with AC Wifi and Mesh Network with AVM FritzBox 7530 with AX wifi and Mesh and the problem its present. I have the problem on the google nest and Home, I have 4 device and loss the connection wifi every 1-2 days. 

One nest mini that have the problem is to 50 cm from the principal router and I think that the problem not is the distance from the router but there is a compatibility problem using AX Protocol Wifi and Mesh.  

Everyone that had the problem was on AX Wifi protocol and Mesh? or only using the wifi AX?  Because I have this problem only on Google Nest and home device in my home all other devices (Blink, alarm etc not loose the connection)

Hi, i also using AVM 7530AX.

I disabled all mesh options, 2,4/5ghz auto steering, 5Ghz AX, 2,4ghz channel spread to 20mhz, autochannel.

Problem still exists.

Ok the mesh it's not the cause of the problem I think that the problem is the Wifi 6 topology and a problem with compatibility with this type of wifi on google assistant devices (nest/Home)
Who uses AX Wifi and more than 1 Google device (I think), because all the posts that I read everyone has more than one google device in their home, the problem begins. 😞

mskinnes
Community Member

Have anyone found a solution for this? I've actually disconnected all of my Nest speakers that loose WiFi connection 😞

Yes, you must separate the wifi channel 2.4ghz and 5ghz using 2 different sid. In this way you can force the google assistant (nest and home) to connect on the 2.4ghz wifi sid. The problem seems to be when you use on the same wifi name the 2.4 and 5 ghz togheter. For me had resolved the problem, all my devices are stable  and not loose the connection anymore. 

How did you separate 2.4 and 5G?... with a Guest Network?  That's the only way I can see to do it since Deco automatically assigns 2.4 and 5G to the same SSID for automatic roaming with mesh.

But it does a appear a guest network can be set up and told to use only 2.4.  I'll try testing that. 

gunfus
Community Member

I don't belive the problem to be 2.4 vs 5G cause my old router a linksys velop mesh had both and was working fine with it, the capacity of my old router was only 300Mgb and so I moved up to the TP-LINK DECO which is up to 3Gbs but now my google speakers are crapping out!

I have Deco XE75. Was experiencing same issues with Nest devices. I turned off Beamforming. (under More >Advanced).

Seems to have sorted the issue.

dbsb3233
Community Member

I tried setting up a Guest Network in Deco for 2.4 only.  I left the Main Network unchanged (active for both 2.4 and 5).  Then I connected one of my Google Minis to that Guest Network.  It's been 3 days now and so far it's staying connected.  Too soon to say for sure yet whether this will work permanently or not, but so far so good.

I'll add a 2nd and 3rd Mini to it today, and see if that makes any difference.  It's possible a lone device might work but multiples create a conflict.

So this seems to be working, sort of.  First I connected one Mini to the 2.4 Guest network, and it stayed connected fine.  A few days later I added a 2nd Mini to the Guest network, and it was at the other end of the house where the 2nd Deco unit is.  Both worked fine for a week with no disconnects.

Then I connected a 3rd Mini (which meant a 2nd device connected to one of the two Deco units).  Around 4am that night, I got the dreaded Deco disconnect notification on my phone. However, when I Hey Googled the Mini the next morning, it worked!  It must have automatically reconnected.  It wasn't doing that before (thus the problem).

So then I connected the main Nest Audio to the Guest network (4 devices total, two near each Deco).  Same thing -- I got the Deco disconnect notice for the 3rd and 4th devices overnight, but both had automatically reconnected themselves when I checked this morning.

So either there's something different with the Guest network that's allowing the Google speakers to reconnect when disconnecting, or Google sent out an update that does it?  Or maybe the reconnect works because there's only 4 devices on the Guest network instead of 25?  Either way, it's 100x better.  Still getting the disconnects, but it's automatically reconnecting now which makes a world of difference.  Dedicating a Guest 2.4 network to the Google speakers may be the way to go.

I'll run it like this for a week before shifting the 5th and final Mini over to the Guest network (that's the one we really want working dependably because it's needed to control the bedroom lights, and it's really annoying when dead).

So I had success moving all 5 speakers to a 2.4 Guest network set up in Deco.  The two speakers closest to the primary Deco unit stay connected fine.  The 3 closer to the satellite Deco disconnect in the middle of the night (per the Deco notifications), but they seem to automatically reconnect as they're working fine when I test them in the morning.  So that works.

But I wondered if may be that was just due to a firmware upgrade and they would work on the primary 5 ghz network again.  So I switched one over yesterday.  Tested it this morning, and got the dreaded "could not connect" error again.  So that doesn't work.  I'll just live with all the speakers needing a Guest 2.4 network.  Good enough.

Chegtzx
Community Member

Hi guys, seems the issue is fixed for me.

I dont know what heels it. The new beta firmware of my AVM 7530AX or the new mini firmware 1.56.306594

iJuleguy
Community Member

The issue is certainly not resolved. So do not lock this thread, it sounds like Google really isn’t listening…just pushing back with “check your settings, distance to router,” ENOUGH!!!! It’s YOUR Nest Mini that constantly drops connections on Wifi6 routers! This needs to be fixed! Forward this thread to somebody that can actually fix it!

TarjeiB
Community Member

This problem (Nest Audio and Deco X75) is due to Fast Roaming enabled (802.11r) for me. Turn that off and they work again.

That said, I want it on. I hope they fix this in a firmware soon.

mskinnes
Community Member

Where do you turn it off? 

TarjeiB
Community Member

I found it in the "advanced" section in the Deco app.

mskinnes
Community Member

My "Fast Roaming" has never been enabled.... So this does not help for me. 

Here the same. But switching off ipv6 seems to solve the problem

konigprinz
Community Member

Same problem with wifi 6 router 😞

Robd99
Community Member

I was experiencing the same problem and nothing I did would fix the issue until I reserved an IP address to each device.  This solved the problem of dropouts completely. Go into your Deco settings and allocate/reserve an IP address for each device should fix it. I am currently running 28 devices and all work perfectly now. Hope this helps!

let me try this.

Robd99
Community Member

Update on my previous.. Now that some time has passed I found my google devices were still occasionally disconnecting and would not reconnect as per the original problem. So having a static IP helped but did not resolve the problem entirely. I have since gone into the DECO app and disabled mesh on my 3 google devices. Since they are fixed and not mobile devices they can remain connected to the strongest and nearest access point. No need to access other AP's. They still occasionally disconnect but reconnect moments later automatically. I have no idea why this happens with Google but at least this is a workaround for the time being or seems to be!

navigator0511
Community Member

I have had the same issue with my Google Nest Audio and Google Nest mini spreakers after installing my new TP-Link Deco XE75 kit. I've been busy for days with it, getting more and more frustrated with it. Thought about adding just a separate 2.4ghz wlan for this, like mentioned below when I got it to work by doing two things:

- disable fast roaming and beam forming

- set the 5Ghz width from 160mhz to 80mhz

They've been runnig problem free for days now!

I've tested with undoing the above and setting the speakers on reserved ip-addresses, which also seems to work fine 

I Disabled Beamforming and it fixed the issue for my Nest Devices. Have been stable for a couple of days now. I also have the Deco XE75s.

mikkelzzz3
Community Member

I have the same problem on my Asus AX XT8 mesh wifi 6 router.

All my wifi client 50+ works with no issues. My old 2x Google Home Mini's work fine as well. My newer 2x Nest Audio disconnects every day, and I have to unlug/plug to get it to reconnect. It wasn't always like this. So some update on Nest Audio's has created this problem.

I've read this entire thread. I'm not going to be disabling my WiFi 6 features. If it comes to this, I'll sell my Google stuff and buy Alexa instead.

I'll create dedicated IP's for my Nest Audio's, and if that doesn't work, I'll create a 2,4ghz guest network for the Nest Audio's.

Really embarrassing Google is not taking responsibility for this issue. Due to this, I've completely lost faith in Google, and I'm ready to switch to Alexa. 

AJH68
Community Member

Now 2023 I still have that issue sins I got a wifi6 router in december.

2 nest audio in speaker pair.

Firmware: 324896

Firmware cast: 1.56.324896

Shahram
Community Member

Hi @AJH68 ,
don't you have any problem with your pair of Speakers? I'm getting constantly this error message  "I can't connect to the other speaker in this pair. Make sure it's connected to power and wifi." when i try to cast something to the speaker pair. Both of my speakers are connected to WIFI and the right speaker appears separately in Google Home App as if there wasn't any pair at all,

AJH68
Community Member

That is the funny part. I had some issues on my previous WiFi router (not wifi6). Then one speaker could not find the other. Sins I have WiFi 6, that issue is gone but got an other issue back for it.

The router I use is from the my provider so I don't want to mess around with that to much.

arturoimaz
Community Member

Amazing that they still havent fix the issue. Deco X75 and plenty Nest devices

Rashmi
Community Member

Are you kidding me google ?? When are you going to fix this bug? It’s so frustrating! 

Shahram
Community Member

I have simply disabled 5 GHz in my Router (AVM FritzBox 7530 AX). Because having two separate SSID for 5GHz and 2.4GHz causes a lot of problems with my ZigBee devices. So far I have not had this problem anymore. Thank you google for nothing. : )

I have a problem by setting up my Nest Audios as Stereo Pair. https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/nest-audio-pair-can-t-find-it-s-pair/td...
Aren't you guys experiencing this problem too?
Best Regards

That is a serious downgrade! 5Ghz is much faster WiFi than 2.4GHz. I'd sooner sell my Nest's before doing that. Or disable 2.4 instead of 5.

I have some old devices which don't work with 5 GHz like my laser printer and I think Google Nest Audios have the same problem at least with wlan ax

I gave my Nest's a static IP, and used the "Bind" function on my Asus ZenWiFi XT8 to bind the Nest's to a specific node. I haven't had the issue since.

I would never disable 5Ghz. All your other devices will now be much slower. If I couldn't have solved this which I luckily did, I would have sold my Nest's and bought Alexa.

mikkelzzz3
Community Member

Okay, I've now found a solution that works for me with my Asus ZenWiFi XT8 mesh routers.
I'm on firmware "3.0.0.4.388.22068"
1: I have given the Nests a reserved IP on my routers
2: I have used "Bind" feature to bind the Nest's to a specific node, so that the mesh functionality is not impacting them.

This has now run for 2 weeks, not a single dropout.

Robd99
Community Member

That is simply not an option. You need the 5Ghz. Ever since I disabled the mesh option and gave each device a static IP for the google mini's and home devices the problem is virtually gone. They still disconnect everyday but then reconnect immediately and so do not cause any practical issues. I find that they usually disconnect around early hours between 2 and 4am but reconnect immediately. Why? I have not got a clue; but since they now reconnect instead of getting locked out requiring a reboot/reset then I am able to live with that.

Ylakoira
Community Member

Having a similar problem after switching to Deco X20. I see in my Home Assistant instance where I've integrated my Nest devices that those devices keep constantly cutting the connection and restoring it every few seconds. ONLY the Google devices are doing this mind you. This is making them almost completely useless as this makes casting to them highly unreliable.

I tried everything in this thread (save for using a different router, too much of a pain) including creating a 2.4ghz guest network, but nothing works.

It looks like the support rep ran out of options and just marked this as "solved" on their end instead of having the Nest team work on the actual problem. 

gp1
Community Member

Agree!  It's most certainly NOT resolved.  I've tried everything as well and I'm still left with a house full of expensive annoying speakers yelling "hang on while I get connected...".  Terrible!

Biggsyboi
Bronze
Bronze

Hi! I made my own thread on this a few weeks ago as I couldn't find people suffering the same issue, I'm glad to have found this thread as I know now I'm not suffering alone!

Just an FYI as it looks like you didn't try, but if you try connecting to a phone's hot spot whilst the speakers have disconnected themselves, this won't work - the speakers won't manually connect to any Wi-Fi network until rebooted. If left over 24 hours, sometimes they reconnect themselves to the original Wi-Fi.

I'm talking with Google tech support at the moment. With their latest message, they're telling me the speakers are 'not fully compatible with Wi-Fi 6".

I've been asked to put all the speakers on the guest 2.4ghz wi-fi, will update here if it changes anything for me.

It's the same for me - all my minis and nest audios have the issue, my Google home max appears to be unaffected