cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google speakers keep losing wifi on new router ("Hold on while I connect to the internet")

dbsb3233
Community Member

I have 4 Google speakers (one old Google Home and 3 new Google Nests).  They worked fine on my old AC1700 wifi router.  I just recently replaced that router with a new 2-unit TP-Link Deco W7200 Tri-Band Wifi6 system.  Every other device I have connected (20+) works great on it, but all 4 Google speakers lose their wifi connection daily.  They connect fine when I set them up, or when I unplug and plug back in.  But they won't STAY connected.  Anywhere from ############ hours later, they give the dreaded "Hold on while I connect to the internet" message upon using the wake word.  I have to unplug/plug to get it to reconnect again.  Highly frustrating.

Any ideas?

114 REPLIES 114

Biggsyboi
Bronze
Bronze

So it looks like I'm stuck. It turns out to be a problem with WiFi 6. Since I connected my speakers to the Guest 2.4GHz WiFi (which by the way is still WiFi 6 according to my Android phone when I connect to it), they do stay connected to this, over the last 4 or 5 days anyway.

But it stops features working properly, like casting and automations from my Hubitat smart hub, so I can't keep them like this.

So there's basically no way I can make my speakers work properly with my Deco WiFi mesh and I don't even know who's responsible - TP-Link / Deco, or Google?

And is it a problem that can be patched? Otherwise, there appears to be a choice now: Downgrade to WiFi 5, or change brand of speaker.

What doesn't make sense, is multiple people here have said this problem doesn't appear to affect the Google Home Max. Well actually, it's listed with the same WiFi specs as the Minis and Nest Audios, so why does it affect one and not the other?

Nest Audio:

"Connectivity

802.11b/g/n/ac (2.4 GHz/5 GHz) Wi-Fi"

Home Max:

"Wireless network

• 802.11b/g/n/ac (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz) Wi-Fi for high-performance streaming"

The latest response I got from Google Support:

"Most WiFi 6 routers are backwards compatible however our Google Home speakers and display don't fully support WiFi 6 hence the disconnecting issue. There are some router settings that are not fully compatible with our devices which include band steering. Meanwhile, we can try replacing one of the Google Nest Audios to check if the same behavior persists."

This issue is happening with 2 brand new Nest Audio's, I don't think replacing one will fix the issue considering the problem is occuring to 6 Google/Nest devices total

Biggsyboi
Bronze
Bronze

I sent the following back to Google Support:

"(1) Does this mean Google speakers would not be compatible with Google's own WiFi 6 mesh system?

(2) Can the speakers not be patched to only connect to 2.4ghz WiFi when on WiFi 6? (Since the suggestion seems to be they'll work on WiFi 6 2.4GHz but not WiFi 6 5GHz)

(3) Why does this not affect my Google Home Max, which supports the same WiFi protocols as the Nest Audio speakers which are disconnecting?

(4) If the speakers cannot be patched to work on a modern WiFi system despite being purchased only recently, can I send the 2 x Nest Audio's back for a refund? I'd rather get them working instead, and I did have an online chat with someone before I checked out with my latest pair of Nest Audio's who promised Google would be able to get them working if they suffered from the same disconnection problems."

All I got back was:

"Sorry, I can't process a refund if it is out of the refund period already. "

I did an online chat with someone before I even bought my latest Nest Audio's, and they assured me the issue could be resolved.

Biggsyboi
Bronze
Bronze

I can't edit my previous post so to add another response I got from Google 'Support' - 

"As far as the compatibility is concerned, WiFi 6 is still not fully supported with Google Nest speakers and it may or may not work. "

My other questions about Google's own WiFi 6 mesh were basically avoided, as was the question to why the Max is still working fine, or any prospect of future patching.

All they're telling me at this point is that my window of opportunity to return the speakers has expired, even though I raised my Support ticket during the refundable period.

This basically means that if you have an issue with your Google / Nest speakers, the only solution is to return them immediately because if it takes a while to work through Support to find the issue, you're out of luck. This is a very disappointing experience from Google. I don't even want to return them.

I want them to work.....

Rather than replacing a bunch of Google speakers, a cheaper solution is just to buy a cheap 2nd router like an AC1750 (or use your old one if you have one), plug it into the new wifi6, and configure it to broadcast a separate 2.5 signal.  For me, that was enough to reach all my google speakers and get "good enough" speed to run the speakers. 

Can you cast to the speakers from the main network? I can't. When trying to cast from Spotify say, they don't work

navigator0511
Community Member

TP link has released firmware update for XE75. Software update fixes (or should fix): 

Deco XE75(EU)_V1_1.1.10 Build 20230301

Published Date: 2023-03-15Language: Multi-languageFile Size: 25.10 MB

Modifications and Bug fixes: 
1. Fixed some speed/stability issues with 11AC 5G clients such as Samsung A53/A52/A33/A32, Chromecast, Google Nest, etc.
2. Improved overall stability. 
3. Improved satellite backhaul performance under certian circumstances. 

Hopefully that helps people, but this same update was already released for the W7200 and it had no affect for me.

Even on the 2.4GHz Guest network, I've found that the speakers still disconnect then reconnect straight away. But when connected to the main network, they still disconnect for 24hrs+ at a time unless rebooted

Awbcollier
Community Member

I have the tp-link x75 and since getting it my Google Nest Protects (smoke alarm) wasn’t able to connect. In the end what has worked for me (even after the update note above - didn’t fix the issue) was to:

• turn off beamforming
  • turn off fast roaming 
  • switch the 5GHz to 80MHz

this then, for the first time allowed each nest protect to connect to the network. I then manually switch off Mesh technology for each nest. 

I will try this for a week and see if they remain stable. 

I should add - it was changing the channel of 5GHz to 80MHz that unlocked the problem. I had been trying loads of other solutions including setting up the guest network on 2GHz only with beamforming and fast switching turned off and still the protects wouldn’t connect. 

I kept trying to re-add them to my nest account. And after it kept failing the only change I made was to the 5GHz channel to 80MHz and it connected right away. 

Hi Awbcollier!

The Deco app must looks different for different models of Deco, as my Deco app doesn't allow you to control the MHz/width whatever that is when you have a W7200 system.

Beamforming and fast roaming are off, but the issue still happens for us. I can only find the WiFi channel information on the web interface, it doesn't seem to be available in the app interface:

2.4GHz Wireless:

Enable:
On

Channel:

5GHz-1 Wireless:

Enable:
On

Channel:

5GHz-2 Wireless:

Enable:
On
Channel:

That is strange. For me the setting was in the deco app:

more->Wi-Fi settings->main network->advanced->channel width for  5GHz->80MHz

just has an option there for 160 or 80. My nest protects have been connected now for 4 days without issue. 

I found a potential way to do it here, where they refer to it Chanel width … 

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2292/

Thanks for confirming!

I double checked and these options are definitely missing for W7200 WiFi 6 system. Can only turn the bands (2.4ghz and 5ghz) on or off.

more -> Wi-Fi settings -> advanced -> only band on/off is available or hiding the SSID

Yes - it would seem this isn’t a feature for that and there is actually a feature request for it with TP-link here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/568586

Fairwaysalways
Community Member

I've read all the posts. I have three Nest Hubs - two Hub Max and one Hub. Every day or other day for the last several months, one or all will randomly disconnect from Wi-Fi and will only come back if you unplug and plug each of them back in. I've read all the posts. This is still an issue. My router is not new. Nothing has changed except that my security system is comprised each second that they are offline. I have several other Nest and other smart devices and none of them does this, so please Google, don't tell me to reset my router. Bandwidth or coverage are not an issue.

joelfreak
Community Member

My Nest Audios can't keep a connection to my Nest Wifi Pros. Worked Perfectly on my old Nest/Google Wifi. From what I read here, it seems Google isn't compatible with their own devices?! 

Google Support have confirmed if you're using WiFi 6, even on their own WiFi equipment, it "won't work"

egsprance
Community Member

I HAD the same problem. At the time I had the main Deco Mesh unit on a shelf directly next to my Fios router. With the help of a  Fios Tech we solved the problem by moving the router to the other end of the shelf. The two are now about 3 feet apart. Problem went away. Best guess is that their electronics interfered/conflicted with each other 

My Nest Audios are in a completely other room from my routers.

Fairwaysalways
Community Member

Am I the only person who is so frustrated that so many people are having so many problems in all these scenarios? If it was iOS, this stuff would just work. I don’t have the bloody time for any of these troubleshooting scenarios. Just make it work or give us disclaimers up front so we don’t buy the darn things. I trusted Google and doubled down on many devices. And now this. 

AWF
Community Member

it's just over a year since google stopped responding to this topic and the issue still exists.  I have 6 nest speakers and one google max speaker - all of them disconnect daily 

google's insipid responses all try to shift the blame.  I'm finally giving up and moving to Sonos.

Helpmegoogl
Community Member

Also dealing with this issue. Is it ever going to get fixed? 

Helpmegoogl
Community Member

Hi I power cycled all my hardware and the issue is still occurring. Any suggestions?

Fairwaysalways
Community Member

So frustrating. This is what the press should be covering, not some stupid Bard thing or a new fangled foldable phone. Make your existing products work and stop losing loyal customers. Now they’re getting rid of Brinks for security and rendering all those devices useless next year. 

Jerningham
Community Member

I have just changed my broadband provider and they use Linksys Velop mesh routers. But these will not connect properly with my google hubs. Spoke with Linksys tech support and they said their mesh routers were not compatible with google hubs. They suggested I switch to Alexa! Instead I am switching back to my old broadband provider and their router, which does work. Why has Google not sorted this out?

Fairwaysalways
Community Member

All they have to do is admit they have a problem and push out a fix. Rather they send us on wild goose chases to troubleshoot an issue that’s of their own making. Ridiculous!

Fusketa
Community Member

I have been using Google Nest cameras for almost two years now, and overall, they have been reliable. I have a TP-LINK Deco MR4 and 1 MR5 set up, which have generally provided a strong Wi-Fi connection. Occasionally, there were minor connectivity issues where the cameras went offline, but a simple restart usually resolved the problem.

In my house, I have a total of four Decos, and all of my cameras, including three Google Nest battery cameras and three 2nd generation cameras, along with my Google doorbell battery, have been working seamlessly until yesterday. Unfortunately, they all went offline in the Google Home app, and I have been unable to bring them back online. Despite trying various troubleshooting steps such as restarting the network, Deco devices, and the cameras themselves, I have not been successful.

In an attempt to resolve the issue, I even removed one of the 2nd generation cameras from the Google Home app and performed a factory reset. However, when I tried to add it back, I encountered an error stating that it couldn't connect to the Wi-Fi, even though it never prompted me for the Wi-Fi details. This frustrating situation has made me feel foolish because I have always spoken highly of these products when asked, believing they were reliable. However, this recent and unacceptable error has left me disappointed.

The reason I installed this camera system was to ensure the security of my house, especially during vacations. Unfortunately, with my holiday coming up next week, all of my cameras are currently offline, and I have been unable to bring them back online. I would greatly appreciate a solution to this problem as soon as possible.

zsturg
Community Member

I have an Asus Zenwifi XT8 Mesh Network and I can get my nest mini speakers connected but after a few hours if I ask something I get "There was a glitch, Please try again" or "There is a problem, it it persists try unplugging and plugging back in etc." I'm assuming this is the same issue with the devices not being able to connect to the mesh nodes.

I have 3 in my office where I have a node and they're connected tot he 5ghz wifi and they rarely have any issues but there are 3 more on the main level of my house that wont stay connected for more than an hour or so. One of them is right next to the main mesh node. I've tried disabling IPv6, factory resetting the devices multiple times, and only connecting to the 2.4ghz wifi and nothing works. I had zero issues with the system prior to setting up the mesh system. I will try the reserve IP and bind function when I get home tonight but at this point I have no idea how to fix the issue. 

Jerningham
Community Member

It’s a shame no one from Google bothers reading these. Clearly they have no interest in resolving issues faced by their customers. 

dbsb3233
Community Member

I finally had enough and just got a new longer-range single router that isn't mesh.  TP-Link AX6000.  Got a long cable to locate it on a tall cabinet in the center of the house.  Covers the whole house and beyond with no problem now (even the 5 Google speakers)

Helpmegoogl
Community Member

Yeah I said f it. My att router comes with its own wifi network. I just connected everything to that network

This is disappointing CS and a huge letdown from a company I love 

Jerningham
Community Member

Just got this response from Linksys:

Greetings!

Your concern has been raised to the team and investigated the problem. Upon checking, there seemed to be a recent update from Google and it must have affected some features of their devices. Thus, the compatibility of the Google hub with mesh system must be affected as well. As much as we wanted to help you with this but, we're not trained with Google. So we suggest for you to contact Google as there might be some advanced troubleshooting that they can do to fix the voice command issue. 

Thank you for understanding.

Best,
Jess
Linksys Technical Support
Customer Assurance Team

Techless
Community Member

Hi, just reading through this thread and my view is that people are having problems with a new Wifi6 router. I have just changed from an Asus RT66u to a Asus RT88U-Pro it gave me much better speed but immediately google mini speakers kept going offline. I followed all the recommended fixes, rebooting, resetting. I could see no merit in testing the signal at each device as the old RT66 was faultless, the new has to be better.  My fix - hopefully- has been to change 'modulation scheme' to mcs7 [802.11n] not mcs11 -Wifi6. I also changed Control Channel away from Auto. I haven't had the problems of dropping speakers - so far.

My non techy view is google speakers are not happy with a Wifi6 router, and they may not be keen to admit it.  Luckily I can run my 5ghz on Wifi6 and run the 2.4 for Google home. Hope this may help someone. I asked when buying the Asus RT88U is it backwards compatible with Google speakers and such, I had the same problem with smart plugs disconnecting and was told 'Yes'. It maybe but not across everything. Very frustrating.

randy3k
Community Member

For those who are using TP Link Deco, check out its latest firmware. My AX3600 allows me to add a secondary IoT wifi network under a different access point name. I created a network which is 2.4GHz only and connect the speakers to it. So far this setup has been working great.

This sounds hopeful! But does it lose functionality? I was under the impression the speakers have to be on the same Wi-Fi network as other things that it's interfacing with. For example, if your phone is on the main network, can you cast to speakers on a separate WiFi network?

Yes, the IoT network shares the same local network as the main wifi.