cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Lowest volume has suddenly become too loud

Sandoz
Community Member

I listen to music while I fall asleep, the lowest volume has been perfect and has been for years. But today this got changed: anything from 3-10% is the same volume and much louder than before, while anything lower just mutes the sound altogether. Needless to say, I can't fall asleep when the music is way too loud for comfort.

Please revert whatever changes got made to the volume system as soon as possible, I need my music to fall asleep.

149 REPLIES 149

sulvo
Community Member

Same problem here. 1% is too loud. Used to be 15% was ideal.

System firmware version: 324896

Cast firmware: 1.56.324896

Google Home mini

Redrag
Community Member

More than one month and the issue isn't yet solved, a shame... 

Derik64
Community Member

ist started with one Device being too loud and now, after a while, all 4 Players are they are as loud at 4% as maybe before at 25%, the worst thing is that you can't set a fine volume now, it goes straight from off to quite loud. My Chromecast is connected to various studio speakers that have been running at the same settings for years, so it's definitely the Chromecast Audio devices.

DC8
Community Member

How can a large corporation like Google, with an issue that spans all brands and platforms that utilize the home/assistant method of volume control (casting etc.) and completely upsets the usability and user experience, take so incredibly long to fix this, and have their first line customer contact operators perform useless report requests and nothing else. This is ridiculous!!

Derik64
Community Member

Has anyone a good alternative to chromecast audio? The issue (volume to loud) is so anoying, that I consider to change the System in my house.

SuzyG86
Community Member

This has been driving me nuts! It's too loud now on 1% and so annoying. Are they fixing the issue?

Sandoz
Community Member

Currently the volume is *somewhat* bearable at about 2.5%, but you have to use the Google Home app because the buttons on the speaker only increase and decrease with 5%, which is way too loud.  The Home app lets you adjust the volume using the circle thing, but you really have to be pixel-perfect because it'll be too loud if it's the slightest touch too high. And when you have to adjust the volume in bed (because some songs have a slightly louder mix) you have to burn your eyes on the white background while trying to slide the cursor to the correct pixel.

I miss sleeping.

broment
Community Member

this is actually crazy it’s been over a month since I first responded to this thread and it was here way before than so it’s prob been 2 months with genuinely no fix

JJ16
Community Member

Same issue, no matter which speaker brand (Bang Olufsen, Genelec, JBL) I use. 1% is loud enough to break a normal conversation, 5% you really need to shout over the music, 10% is totally unbearable. Also, no difference when streaming from mobile or laptop, Spotify, SoundCloud or Tidal.

Chromecast Audio, fw: 1.56.281627

Pghu
Community Member

As many others have said, 1% volume is now too loud and I can no longer listen to music in bed. This wasn't a problem before. 

DVW
Community Member

Yep, same thing.. daughter uses the speaker to fall asleep with spotify.. used tou use it on about 7% / 12% depending on the play list..  now it's too loud on 1% and have had to physically move the speaker further away from where we had it.

I have the same problem with spotify; but other apps (google play books, google podcasts) don't appear to be affected as much.

Potentially check settings in the problem apps to see if there is something to change.

Derik64
Community Member

I have the same problem, but something strange happened at the weekend. A friend was controlling the music on her phone and we had the room volume at 30% and could adjust it very finely. As soon as I took control with my devices it was just off and room volume at 3%, nothing in between. It's really terrible

grmmnn
Community Member

Hi Derik64

Just out of curiosity - were yours and your friends' phone different brands, OS etc?

Derik64
Community Member

She had an Andriod, Galaxy S20 or something like that. My devices are Galaxy Tab, iPhone, Macbook, all with the same problem on Google Speakers and Chromecast audio

Redrag
Community Member

Should we expect any update to correct this issue? 

Dan24
Community Member

Anything new on this it's been forever...

Kwest916
Community Member

Seriously,  so done with Google speakers!! 1% is too loud!!! Going to switch to something else, anyone have any recommendations for other castable speakers?

timmyjoe42
Community Member

Is anyone else interested in a class action lawsuit because Google has turned the hardware we purchased into junk?

Pd66
Community Member

Google any update on this?

grmmnn
Community Member

I think the issue might have been fixed - at least for me. I am using JBL Link Music speaker and Pixel 7 Pro phone. After the latest Pixel update, I noticed that Google Home app has got new looks. I tried playing some music from Spotify on the JBL and suddenly I was able to safely listen to it at about 10% volume. I checked with several tracks and it worked fine.

I am not sure how about other phones and speakers, but the funny thing is that neither my JBL firmware nor Cast firmware version numbers hasn't changed...

Dan24
Community Member

For me the music seems better, but the voice is still really loud. So I get music thats to quiet then a booming voice telling me about traffic. 

Redrag
Community Member

I have the same JBL speaker and in my case, it's not consistent, sometimes it works as it was supposed to but often I have to reduce the volume at 3%.

Pd66
Community Member

Still same issue after latest update.

grmmnn
Community Member

You're actually right - the more tracks I listened to the less consistent it was 😕

Sandoz
Community Member

Some tracks are so soft you can barely hear them next to you at 3%, others are so loud you can hear them in the next room. This wasn't the case before, they must have done something to the audio normalization and/or compression.

Sandoz
Community Member

Not sure if the mods & devs are even reading this thread anymore. At this point it feels like this is just being forgotten and abandoned, even though lots of people are experiencing this problem. Please just give us a fix so our ears don't get blasted at night.

JJ16
Community Member

It seems Google is not even planning to fix the issue. Old hardware, old software, no interest to update the firmware. Take the money and run. I'm feeling somewhat naive hoping Google would care.

Exothermicboy
Community Member

Worst company ever at keeping their customers happy. I have so much Google hardware and the number of issues I've had has been ridiculous. I'm gradually removing bits and will never go back to Google. I don't really like Apple either, but at least it just works.

This volume issue is still a major problem for me too. At 1% it's too loud for my daughter's room so she now struggles to sleep. Replaced the speaker.

lemonslayer
Community Member

Man this is super frustrating. If I have the volume on 3% it's super loud and I can't listen to music while I'm sleeping. If I try to turn it down to 2%, suddenly it becomes WAY too low to even hear anything. This issue is only when I'm using it via the Home app. If I cast to the speaker and connect through Bluetooth I can control the volume way easier. Is there any updates regarding this? It's getting super super irritating.

Edith-Allen
Community Member

Hi@Sandoz,

I had the same issue with the lowest volume suddenly being too loud while listening to music to fall asleep. It was frustrating because I had been using that volume setting for years without any problems. I first checked for any recent updates or changes in my music player or device settings to fix this. I realized that there was a software update that might have caused the problem.

I rolled back the recent update and restored my music player to its previous version to solve it. After doing this, the volume levels returned to normal, and I could comfortably listen to music again at the desired low volume without any disturbance.

I hope this solution works for you too!

How do you roll back the update?

JJ16
Community Member

How did you roll back the firmware? Are you able to share where to find older firmwares?

How did you restore it to its previous version?

krustyx
Community Member

Hey guys, I found a "solution"... Try "hey Google, set volume to 0.5", or 0.3, and it should work.  It works pretty good, but their LVL 1 is still too loud.

Sandoz
Community Member

"Hey Google, set volume to 2.5%" is the lowest I can go, and it's still too loud. Anything lower will just be muted. You can still set the volume lower in the app, but you have to have ninja precision or it will be either too loud or too soft. 

krustyx
Community Member

Try what I said..  0.5 works #1

Sandoz
Community Member

I think the mods & devs forgot about this thread. Doesn't seem like they're monitoring this issue anymore. Should we make a new thread?

Danni85
Community Member

This is absolutely ridiculous!!!!! Been driving me insane for months. Still no fix. 1% volume is so loud I can’t sleep. Tried the 0.5 voice control. It’s the same as 1% which is too loud. 0.3 makes it mute. So absolutely dumb. 

krustyx
Community Member

Works perfectly here... At least I'm offering solutions... What about you? 🤷🤦

grmmnn
Community Member

Hardly a workaround and not even always available as I don't use my speaker as an assistant so I can't give it voice commands 😕