cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Main music account

Hockeytown954
Community Member

Hello. I recently cancelled my Spotify premium account (Android user). Now when we ask Google to play music we'd like it to pick up my wife's Spotify Premium (iPhone user).

But now all it wants to do is play YouTube music. I have YouTube unlinked on my device. And I have my wife's account linked up with Spotify. 

How do I get it to pick hers up automatically with either of us talking?

4 REPLIES 4

GothamNY
Bronze
Bronze

@Hockeytown954 the simple answer is you can't. If you first set up the Nest devices, it defaults to the main or initial installer's account preferences for general music play and that apparently is you. Youtube's free music is the default music service.

Hello. What if I reinstall everything and set her up as the main account? 

If you do that when you request music, you will get music from her default account.

Now, this is after the fact, but, what you probably should have done is keep your account and remove hers. The other thing you could do, which may be less onerous is log into her account from your account and set it up as the default music account, see here and here.

Here's the problem with all of this:

If you're out for a jog and want to listen to Spotify while running, and she's home listening to something your request will cancel her listening experience. If she reactivates her service because it seems to stop randomly, but is the result of your request while jogging, her restart will cancel your jogging listening experience. With one service account, you're only able to listen to one session at a time, not multiple locations or devices, so there will always be that push-pull dynamic.

Hey folks, 
It looks like we haven't heard back from the OP so I'm going to go ahead and lock the thread. Thanks to GothamNY for the help here. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to create a new thread. 

Have a great day,
Garrett DS