Worked fine yesterday, but today it is not working. Read post, uninstalled Home and Assistant on phone, nothing seems to work. Reset mini...Connects...I can hear the sound so it connects, I hit yes, then connects to Wi-Fi (says Connected, Goes Set Up Google Asistant -three tabs Google Partners, Services and your privacy, Guests and your assistant...hit next and I get Domain error code on next screen.
Sorry to hear about your Google Home Mini, but thanks for bringing this up. To confirm, have you tried setting up your speaker using a different phone/tablet? What is the make and model of your phone? What type of account are you using (Personal or Business)?
Looking forward to your response.
Thanks for trying those steps. Have you tried rebooting your router to refresh the connection? If so, try setting up your Google Home Mini using a mobile hotspot to isolate the issue. Also, try using a different phone.
Keep is posted!
I have the same problem. I have rebooted and reset to factor settings. We have tried a different phone but it kicks them out and goes back to the last screen shown when trying to set up the speaker. The code means the device is connected to another user. The user has always been me. In doing research on this it is for security purposes so if someone returns a speaker their personal information is not still attached to the device and your supposed to factory reset it to get rid of their information. I have done this several times and I still get the error. I can’t figure out how to bypass or get rid of the error.
I have the same problem trying to connect a new nest access point. All messages gave tips that I followed that did not help. So I thought it must be the device. I’ve bought three devices now continue to get the same code. All the people I see posting this problem are quite recent I think it is a problem with Google and I’m very frustrated that they are not giving any good resolution to this issue.
I wanted to check in, and ensure you are good to go. Please let me know if you are still having trouble, as I will be locking the thread in 24 hours due to inactivity.
I Experienced exact same issues as a people above I’ve tried all of the different steps like they have tried and it is still not working. Google please give us a real answer about how to fix this problem
Thank you so much for reaching back out. I am showing a case number has been created for you, and our Team should be able to provide further support from here. Please be on the lookout for an email, and let me know if you have any trouble seeing that.
One quick final check in here since activity has slowed down. We'll be locking the thread in the next 24 hours, but if you still need assistance, feel free to start a new thread in the community and we’ll be happy to help.