I moved to a new apartment a few months ago and since then my nest mini has not been working. The notorious "Please sign in through the google home app" issue.
2 pcs of google mini of the first generation - they work flawlessly
1pc nest mini 2gen - driving me crazy
approx. 10-15 other smart devices via 3-party services
Every day I have to "find" the device among other devices and go through the initialization wizard again, then the mini starts working, on the main screen of the Home app it assigns to the room, but the status says "offline". However, after clicking, the basic controls work, but the settings only work sporadically, then not at all. Like this every day for the last few weeks. Sometimes the wizard reports an error at the end, sometimes it doesn't. Every time, regardless of the error in wizzard, the nest starts working "normally" for a few hours
Since I'm not newbie to home automation and the problem has been going on for weeks, I've already tried countless things:
1. Changing the room (closer to the router)
2. Rename the device - in general, the first problem here was the ability to rename the device, I managed to do it after several attempts and days.
3. I reinstalled the home app (after i few times tried only delete cache and data).
4. I set the maximum permission for the Home app.
5. I turned off the phone's energy optimization (Huawei P30pro).
6. I have done dozens of soft resets.
7. I have tried factory resets at least 5 times, each time in a different combination with the others.
In general, I resist attempts such as renaming the SSID of the router and, in connection with a lot of other connected IOT devices, also changing the google account.
Thanks in advance for the ideas. I don't want to throw away a working device because of some software bug.
That certainly hasn't been easy for you ― let’s check this out. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you factory reset your Nest Mini? If it’s different, then click here to do the reset.
The reason for the question is the Home Mini and Nest Mini have a slight difference in steps when doing the reset. Also, when you’d set up your Nest Mini, was the mobile data on your phone off or on?
I’m focusing on your Nest Mini since your 2 Home Mini’s worked so, before setting it up, go to your phone’s Wi-Fi settings and connect directly to the Nest Mini hotspot then proceed with the setup on your Home app.
Keep me posted.
I firmly believe I'm doing the factory reset right. Turn off the microphone and hold the center of the mini until it restarts. Then it says "Hola .. " because I have some model for Spain.
So I tried a factory reset and added the mini to the home app via the AP that created the mini. It didn't change the problem. The wifi connection to the router went fine as always, but in the last step again the error "Somthing went wrong", but the mini was added again despite the error and worked for about a day and a half and then again "Please log in ...".
Additionally, I tried mac address reservation and set the highest QOS. Without any results.
Thanks for trying. Just to make sure we're on the same page, you can follow the steps on this link to further guide you with the reset. Also, let's make sure that these settings are set on your network where you are trying to connect your Google Nest speaker. Lastly, you may also try using a different account to set up your Google Nest speakers and see if this would make any changes on its behavior.
I do the factory reset correctly, exactly as stated. Which setting do you mean? I tried adding the nest mini through a different account after a factory reset, but the behavior didn't change. Again the error popped up at the end of the wizard and then the mini worked for a few hours and now I'm back…
When re-adding (without factory reset), I recorded a video of how the wizard behaves. It behaves in the same way even after a factory reset, it just prevents connecting to wifi, which is always without problems.
I bought Nest mini on an e-shop a year and a half ago here in the Czech Republic, but it is probably a Spanish version (the official one for my country does not exist). The device is still under warranty for half a year, but it doesn't seem like a hardware problem that the seller would recognize under warranty