cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

i also need which device to use, try saying that again including the devices name

Docbruce
Community Member

I've seen this question posted before but not seen any satisfactory resolution. Up until yesterday, any google speaker in our house would play streamed music with the command, "Hey Google, play xxxx". Yesterday, any of the devices now give the message, "i also need which device to use, try saying that again including the devices name". 

It doesn't matter if you say the device name, same message. Before any advice, all speakers are affected (Hub, minis, etc), all are on the same network, all respond to other commands (turning off lights) and all are on the same home network.

What gives?

6 REPLIES 6

MartySco
Community Member

I am having the same issue as well on my Lenovo Smart Display and also all of my Google Home Minis.  Verbal commands for music and casting have stopped working completely.

armenj
Community Member

This started occurring yesterday on my Android phone (OnePlus 7 Pro on Android 12), my Google Nest Display and my Google Nest Minis. To the extent that I can't even instruct the assistant to play music on my phone in the car which I had no problems with doing previously.

Jforgeson
Community Member

I am also having the same issue at the moment. None of my smart speakers are able to stream any type of music or audio using the voice commands anymore.

The speaker just responds with "I also need to know what device to use" even if the device is specified

Outline
Community Member

Exactly the same issue here. Even have a Nest Mini at the office and does the same... Pretty annoying!

Jforgeson
Community Member

According to this post it looks like it's a bug with one of the latest releases

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/i-also-need-which-device-to-use-try-say...

Docbruce
Community Member

Suddenly, everything now working again. I guess the bug was fixed!