cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Home app does not accept invites when email address contains a '-' char

fubar777
Community Member
  • When I try to invite a person to my Google home with email address ABCD... I can proceed. 

When I try to invite a person to my Google home with email address AB-CD... I get an error message "Invalid recipient Please enter the email or name of a contact"

Looks like Google Home Invite does not accept an email address containing a '-' char.

6 REPLIES 6

RXShorty
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hi @fubar777 

Is the invite send to a Google email address? 
Only Google email addresses are allowed. 🙂

Not true. I can invite an email address which is  not a gmail address like gmx.

About my 2 test email addresses, 1 without '-' and 1 containing a '-' char:

Booth addresses do not exist. But the one without '-' is accepted in the 1st step. Only that email address containing a '-' char is triggering that error message.

RXShorty
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hi @fubar777 

Ok but to login from this invite you need a working Google account.
Working Google accounts should be able to get the invite.
Not sure what you are trying the achieve by sending invites to unknown email addresses? 🙄

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@fubar777 

@RXShorty  is right.  There are numerous posts in this forum indicating you have to have a Google (gmail) account to be a member of a Google Nest "household".

And gmail does not allow hyphens (dashes) in email addresses:

https://support.google.com/mail/thread/3080644/i-need-to-add-a-dash-in-my-email-or-at-least-receive-...

Yes, you have to have a Google (gmail) account to be a member of a Google Nest "household".

But this was not my problem. My problem was sending invitations.

Google Home generally allows sending invitations to ANY email address, even non gmail addresses.

At the INVITE PERSON screen Google Home acts strange:

aaabbb @ gmx.de is accepted
aaa-bbb @ gmx.de is refused
bibabu @ gmx.de is accepted
bib-abu @ gmx.de is refused

refused= "Invalid Recipient"

Not accepting email addresses containing a '-' char at the INVITE PERSON screen looks like a bug in Google Home.

@fubar777 

Since gmail does not allow dashes (hyphens), it would make sense to reject this on the invite screen, rather than allowing the customer to enter an email address known in advance to be invalid.  And it's an edit that does not require accessing the server.

If there's a bug, it's in the fact that Google Nest accepts non-gmail addresses, only to reject them later with a confusing message like "the invitation cannot be sent right now".