cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Best Wi-Fi Router/Configuration for Nest Battery Cams?

RavenManiac
Community Member

Like others in this forum, I've been plagued with image quality problems since June, when Google released the v1.67 firmware upgrade. With the latest firmware release (v1.69), my daytime images are much better, but nighttime images absolutely suck, rendering any images captured totally unusable.

Since some people don't seem to have image quality problems with their Nest Battery Cams, I created this thread. If you are one of the lucky ones whose Nest Battery Cams are working perfectly, please share with us the router and Nest Battery Cam settings you're using (i.e., Wi-Fi router brand/model, Wi-Fi band (2,4ghz, 5ghz, etc.) any special camera or router settings you're using, etc.)

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello,  I have mostly the older Gen 1 cams but I also have (1) of the newer (Gen 2) outdoor battery cam.  I run it on AC power because I have the Nest Aware PLUS and I want the system to recorder 24/7.

I have been running with the EURO MESH Routers for about 3 years and they are close to trouble free as I have ever seen.  The app on the phone to admin them is excellent.  My Nest Cameras almost always work with very few hiccups.  

IMPORTANT:  If you change your wifi you will do yourself a big favor if you give the new WIFI system the exact same name and password as the old system.  That way when you bring all the Google devices back up they should easily connect on their own.  Changing your WIFI name and password will be a big problem for Google as the process you have to go thru can takes hours and some devices will be really stubborn about coming back on line.

Do you mean Amazon Eero? Are your cameras connected via the 2.4 or 5 ghz band?

Yes, the Amazon Eero.  I currently have the Pro 6E.   I got the (3) pack on sale but now that I have used it the (2) pack would have given me all the coverage I need.  Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/eero-reliable-gigabit-connect-Coverage/dp/B091G64GVK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3VP03426...

The newer Eero Max 7 is out but it is VERY expensive and way overkill for most home users.

So the Euro system manages the devices when it comes to their connection.   Looking I can see 2 of my cameras are connected to the 2.4Ghz and the others (including the newer Gen 2 Outdoor batter) are connected to the 5GHZ network.  Most mesh system (including Euro) do not let the user control or direct the connection speed.   Which for me has not been a problem except for one very old WIFI ceiling fan that for what ever reason falls off the network and hates to reconnect.   I just live with it.  

RavenManiac
Community Member

My Synology RT2600 lets me pick a 2.4ghz or 5ghz connection. I've tried both, and regrettably, neither has resulted in a better resolution.