cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Camera doesn’t record when app is closed.

Puds
Community Member

I just bought a new battery nest cam and set it up inside looking out the window at my front porch. The image is clear and looks great.  I tested the video on it by walking out my front door and then went back inside. When I checked my cam on my iPad and iPhone it didn’t record anything. I then brought up the nest cam image on my iPad and again it clearly shows the front porch area. With iPad in hand I walked out onto the porch and clearly saw myself on my iPad walking out on the porch. I went bqck in the house and the activity notification came up a person was seen and it clearly shows in video history me walking out. Thats great. However, when I close the Google Home app on my iPhone and or IPad and go out and stand on the porch it doesn’t record anything. What’s up with that? This nest cam really is useless to me if I have to have the app open all the time in order for it to record. I’m hoping it’s just a setting that needs changed. I have rebooted everything a couple of times. Thanks in advance for any help. 

6 REPLIES 6

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Puds 

Is your battery camera plugged in with one of the optional power cables, or is it running on battery power? If it's running on battery power only, then it is only "Live" and recording when it wakes up to detect an event or when it wakes up because you are viewing the camera.  The battery is simply inadequate to provide 24/7 recording.

"The Nest Cam (battery) must be connected to a power source to have 24/7 video history. If your camera is battery powered, it will only have event video history, even if you have a Nest Aware Plus subscription."

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/13318581

We have had a battery camera for over 2 years, plugged in with the optional 10-meter power cable, and it is "Live" and recording all the time with a "Nest Aware Plus" subscription.

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

To answer your question, NO,,, the app does not need to be up and running for the camera to record.

Puds
Community Member

Ok thanks..there must be something wrong with the nest cam I bought….I’ve returned the battery powered Cam and exchanged it for a wired Cam and all works fine now. Thanks for your assistance. 

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

Our experience is that the battery camera--when running on battery power--does not do a very good job of waking up to detect and record events, even in the daytime. And if we happen to be viewing it when it's on battery power, the act of viewing the camera forces it to wake up.

Strange.. because when I bought mine they worked perfectly fine recording all events and sending push notifications to my iPhone, even at 10% battery they had no trouble whatsoever day or night being triggered by movement and sending said notifications.
One day that just stopped. Even at 100% charge now they refuse to trigger to wake up even if I am literally dancing directly in-front of the camera. 
the only time I ever get notifications now is if I am live viewing from the home app..

I’ve tried absolutely everything suggested. Deleting app / reinstalling / removing cameras / reinstalling cameras..

For months I have tried over and over again to no avail with a ticket to be called back in regards to this issue still pending after almost 6 weeks..

For the money spent this has really been a depressing user experience. 
I noticed this started around the time nest migrated to google home app.

They are gen 2 cameras and they make me want to cry looking at them and realising they are completely useless to me and the can’t seem to get any help no matter what I do..

😔

@Nestcant 

That's disappointing.  Maybe you have a defective camera.