cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest Gen2 Wired Doorbells Issue - Will not Chime Inside.

GVSwest
Community Member

Recently installed 2 indoor/outdoor wireless nest cameras on the exterior of our home as-well as 2 gen2 wired doorbells.

Outdoor Cameras work no problem tickity-boo.

Doorbells on the other hand, everything works, video, audio, talk and listen, motion, people etc etc. However they do not chime the mechanical chime box inside the house. Before it gets asked, everything is wired correctly including the 2 chime connectors, I have tried everything I could find online regarding settings in the app to no avail.

My last hope before I write it off and go buy a nest mini or speaker etc. (probably still going to be getting a nest hub in the future to couple with a thermostat and the cameras/doorbells) is that the existing transformer in the house is not sufficient to allow the doorbells to have constant power and be able to work the chime simultaneously.

I did not bother checking voltage/amperage at the transformer or at the doorbell wiring so the transformer is the only thing I can point fingers at now, I am going to assume its sufficient to run 1 nest doorbell and 1 regular doorbell but not 2 nests.

For context the house is a new build and everything is less than 6 months old as we moved in in august.

4 REPLIES 4

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@GVSwest 

When we added a second Nest Hello Doorbell several years ago, we had to upgrade our transformer to 16V 30VA in order to get the second doorbell to chime. That's more than the minimum Google Nest specifies (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9247132), but other customers in this forum have also reported upgrading to a 16V 30VA transformer for both 1st and 2nd gen Google Nest doorbells.

Yeah I think I need to find where the transformer is, up in a rafter in the basement I'm pretty sure and measure it or see what markings are on it. Neither of them will chime but both of them work 100% otherwise, havent had a look at the chime to see what its doing when the buttons get pushed, might still be moving just not enough to make it work properly.

@GVSwest 

And the "Indoor chime" option is turned on for both doorbells?  I've also seen posts in the past where people tried turning "Indoor chime" off and then back on to jog it to work, as well as playing with "Chime duration".

Yeah ive messed around with all of those options aswell as selecting them on/off, closing the app then re-opening and selecting on/off again. They make the sound on the doorbell themselves but nothing occurs inside. I likely have 20 or 24VA or possibly even less, voltage is right as they are powered up and everything works.