cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hardwired nest doorbell stopped working in cold weather and didn't start again when it warmed up

rheostaticsfan
Community Member

It's been very cold in Eastern Ontario. I noticed that my doorbell stopped working a week ago when daytime highs were around the minimum operating temperature for the doorbell.  But today it's gone up to the freezing point (which is well above the  minimum temp) and the doorbell hasn't spontaneously started working.  This doorbell has been installed and working for a couple years now.

Any idea if it's permanently broken?  I'm hesitant to uninstall it because the breaker isn't labelled and my husband doesn't want me to shut down power t

4 REPLIES 4

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@rheostaticsfan 

This very long thread below (450+ replies) reports problems with the Nest Hello doorbell that seem to start when it's around 2 years old. Our oldest Nest Hello is only 18 months old (it was a warranty replacement), so we haven't encountered problems (yet). The problems noted in this thread SEEM to be related to the internal battery in the Nest Hello.

You could try contacting Google Nest Support.  Do any other customers want to comment?

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Nest-Hello-Doorbell-cuts-out-when-butto...

rheostaticsfan
Community Member

Mine is just shy of 3 years (found my receipt). Fortunately I seem to have bought it on a credit card that doubles the manufacturer warranty.   I'll report back as the journey continues

rheostaticsfan
Community Member

So my credit card extended warranty requires an estimate for repair (or note from google saying its not repairable). Google support had me uninstalling and reinstalling and uninstalling and reinstalling the doorbell over and over and over. When it devolved into an argument in which they COULD NOT read an analog multimeter (and therefore said the doorbell wasn't being supplied electricity within spec). I gave up. 

That said, I plugged it in to USB inside the house and it seems to run fine while plugged in. So I'm pretty confident it is a dead battery. However, without supporting documentation my credit card will not help me.

Hey folks,

Thanks for visiting the Community. 

Since this thread hasn't had activity in a while, we're going to close it to keep content fresh. Feel free to submit another post, and provide as many details as possible so that others can lend a hand.

Thanks,

Archie