Just switched from Wyze cam 2 to Nest gen 2 indoor cams. Using them in my kid's rooms. While I did get the Nest cams on sale over the holidays, what you get for the huge price difference I drastic. Some annoyances listed below.
1) one of the cameras buffers ever 3-5 seconds. Have an open case with Nest support
2) both cameras have become unresponsive at least once in the last week. Power cycled and cleared the issue.
3) IR lights are a lot brighter than the Wyze cams and green status led can't be turned off (I get the privacy issue, but 3 leds in a dark kids room...ya know?)
4) There's no quick toggle for turning the audio mic on/off, but there is one to turn on/off the camera? So weird. Why the need to menu dive to turn on/off the mic??? I actually really hate this.
5) no full screen button. I never use auto rotate on my devices so having a full screen button would be so nice.
6) can't record live video to local storage.
7) image quality really isn't any better than the $20 Wyze cams.
Sigh...regretting my decision right now, but wanted to get away from Wyze considering the somewhat recent news of their security issue they hid for like 3 years.
Anyone else feel similarly? Any chance Nest reads feedback and implements these things?
If you can find Gen 1 cameras go that route. The Nest app vs the Home app is night and day. I have 4 Gen 1 and just picked up a Gen 2. Hate it only because you cannot use the Nest app, you have to use the Home app which is complete garbage. They say they are working on it, but I cannot see it progressing any farther. The easiest fix Google is to just keep the Nest app the way it is or make the Camera portion of Home use it. This is the typical tech company philosophy: Keep changing things until they completely suck. I am boxing up this garbage and taking it back to where I purchased it and will go on ebay and buy some Gen 1's.
@dubert37 and @Fr33lancr thanks for posting here in the community. I understand that your preferred features are not available for your Nest Cameras. The buffering and image or video quality depends on your internet connection and the distance or walls that block the WiFi signal. Having a quick toggle for the microphone, full screen button to rotate the image or view of your Nest Cameras, record a live video to local storage are cool and interesting features. We're always looking for ways to improve and we'll take it as feedback. I'd suggest you send feedback about your concern using this form to let the Google Engineering team know about your concern. While they won't respond directly back to you, this is the best way to let them know about this. Please let me know if you have other questions or concerns as I will be locking this after 24 hours. Feel free to start a new thread and we'll be happy to help.
@EmersonB the buffering issue is not my wifi I guarantee you that. My speeds in the same room on my phone are over 200-300mbps. My previous Wyze cam did not have this issue in the same room. Before I installed the camera with the issue, I set it up in the same room where the router lives and it had the issue. Stating wifi issues is an easy cop out answer when you don't know what the issue is.
We appreciate you getting back to us and thanks for giving this information. With regards to the internet bandwidth and speed requirements for Nest Cameras, just hit this link for more information. Aside from your feature requests. Is there anything else we can help you with?
Fr33lancr, we hear you — rest assured that we'll take note of it. We'll ensure that we'll learn from your experience as we continually improve our products and services.
Dubert37, thanks for letting us know. Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.
Thanks for the help, Emerson.