cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Cam w/ Flood: 0% batt and won't recharge / flood not-responding - cold weather...

JonGia
Community Member

Background: I have a hard-wired Nest Cam w/ Flood installed by an electrician about 3-months ago. It replaced our existing hard-wired driveway floodlight connected to a light switch in the kitchen. The Nest Cam w/ Flood was working perfectly for 2-3 months when - earlier this week - night time temps dropped to zero - maybe a few degrees below - and the camera went "off line" with the battery at 0% and never would re-charge. 

According to Nest support, when the outdoor temps get too hot or too cold (I believe the cold was around -4F) the camera goes into some sort of protective mode and shuts down; the battery reads on the Nest App 0%  - won't re-charge - and the camera stays 'off-line' (no video). Note the (hardwired) flood light continued to work as normal BUT read "Not Responding" in the Nest app. A couple days later - after temps rose to the high 40's - the camera remained off-line, battery at 0% and would not re-charge. The flood light continued to work, but remained at "Not Responding" in the app. 

The forums had various solutions for what is I assume the cold-weather CAMERA battery shutdown and won't recharge issue, all of which I tried, none of which worked. I tried deleting the camera from the app, but may not have needed to as I just had to add it back AFTER fixing the camera issue. You might be able to fix the camera without deleting the camera from the app. Doing so created another issue; the seemingly dead camera CAN'T connect to Wi Fi - it says "Stand closer to the Camera" (I was a foot away) when the app tries to connect the camera via Wi Fi and never connects. 

With the help of Nest support, we fixed the camera today. 

1. try the 5-second reset - for me, it still didn't work, BUT the small led (white) above the lense  came on for a couple seconds which meant at least it wasn't dead. (Reset is press/hold the tiny button on the back of the camera). If you didn't delete the Cam w/ Flood from the app, support said this MIGHT kick the camera in the butt and get it working. If not - step 2

(She had me disconnect (need allen wrench) cable from camera and inspect it - all looked good - so I re-connected it. I doubt this is the issue if you're using the factory supplied cable and it's new...)

2. Did the 12-second reset. When I released the button, it produced a chimey noise for a 2-3 seconds. She said after a couple minutes AFTER the first chime, there SHOULD be a 2nd chimey sound and we'd be good to go. However, for me - there was no 2nd chime, so THIS time I held the reset button in UNTIL I heard the first chimey noise (around 15-seconds) - then I released the reset button - and a few seconds later came the 2nd chime rang out. A blue led dot appeared above lense and was then able to successfully able to re-add the cam w/ flood back into the Nest app. Back in business. 

Summary. Don't delete it from the app first and re-add it IF it's likely temp related. Do the 5-second reset (look for the tiny white dot led after this reset - that's a good sign). If that doesn't work, hold the reset button in until you hear the chime - 12 to 15 seconds - then release it and wait for the 2nd chime. I assume this is the factory reset which blows away everything BUT clears out a bunch of garbage too allowing it to (hopefully) go back on line. 

0 REPLIES 0