cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Cameras all went offline June 5th at the same time

JFSharpe42
Community Member

Hello,

I have 5 nest cam battery and a nest doorbell. All hardwired. On June 5th around 9pm EST all of my cameras went offline. The doorbell still works. Yet since then I have not been able to get these devices back online. Anyone else have this bug with the latest update? Really upsetting me because I’ve been having a lot of issues with the WiFi pro and now the cameras add to the drama. Everything else functions on my network as intended. Speeds are great. Any one else experiencing this?

1 Recommended Answer

I talked to Google today. 

Its a known bug thats been going around the last two weeks, it dont affect everyone… Google say it will be online by itself when they fix it, but dont know when that will be! 

View Recommended Answer in original post

397 REPLIES 397

Sadly with all their failings of unproven updates of late I'm considering binning their whole Google infrastructure, not cheap with all the cameras and hubs but they clearly have lost their way and don't keep folk up to date.

That and clearly canning topics like this to avoid bad poor feedback.

As you say for such a company you'd expect prior warnings etc alas more like pin the tail on the donkey approaches and let those who use their kit field test it.

Sadly when it's for security you can only tolerate so much before you bin the lot.

Same here, 2 cams (battery) working fine for weeky, today they went "offline" but notifications still came in.. After a factory reset, I can't even add them back on the Home app, "communication to Google" not possible at the moment..

Absolute joke, shouldn't have to reset every time they make an absolute car crash of an update.

You lose all your zones and have to repairing the camera of which is a farce.

Sort it out Google, ever since the Home  update that wasn't needed and destroyed the functionality of our automated homes you haven't listened and copped a deaf ear.

Sort this glitch out ASAP and roll back the Home app version.

Refuse to factory reset.  Until I know that they’ve exasperated every Avenue to resolve the issue.  Absolute nonsense. 

Keep sharing everyone both on twitter and here so we can make this thread a reference point. If you get an actual response from Google and a resolution definitely put it here as well. I'm going to power cycle mine once I'm home but not factory reset until they've exhausted all avenues first. I'm thinking an update from them has wiped some registrations which may explain why a factory reset gets it working (only time the device fully registers with their servers). 

Namco
Community Member

Yes I agree. I've factory reset 1 camera, my doorbell and my nest hub max (what fun that one was) and they're all now working.

I've left one camera as it was and it's still showing offline so I'll wait to see if Google fix it. So, factory resetting does appear to work but you lose all your video history.

Trotwoof
Community Member

Plus all the faff of repositioning cameras and setting up the zones again.

We shouldn't have to do this every time they release a butchered untested abomination of an update.

How do you power cycle them being battery powered? There is no on off switch and you can't turn them on and off in the app since they screwed up today.

Namco
Community Member

There's a button on the back you can press in with a fork. Hold for 5 seconds to restart, hold for 13 to factory reset.

My guess is they're trying to unbotch the Home app they butchered in stages. There's more icons that keep disappearing and reappearing since today, one predominantly called climate which links to the Hue light sensors.

Pound to a pinch of **** they're trying or tried to right the Home abomination and consequently screwed the camera love views.

Absolutely awful the silence on this mess.

Same here (Italy)

Pazcyn
Community Member

Factory reset makes no sense at all.
First of all, I couldn't add a doorbell from iOS, only on Android it worked.
Second, the camera stopped working 2 hours after adding it again.

Greetings from Poland

SRUK
Community Member

All of my cameras (ones still working!) have stopped recognising known faces, anyone else had this?

dox
Community Member

Same Problem for me, 1/1 Nest Doorbell and 1/2 Nest Cam gone offline, still sending notifications and recording events.

My Nest Cam dropped at 19.06.23 17:25:49 UTC/GMT +2 hours
and my Nest Doorbell at 19.06.23 10:48:14

The other Nest Cam is working fine.
Same Update Release nq-user 1.67 OPENMASTER 361459 release-keys-stable-channel stable-channel

I can see them clearly on my router as connected.
It just happened out all of sudden, no changes on my end were made.
I tried to restart them but i'm afraid of a factory reset and them bugging out on me.
With the increasing numbers of topics, this is clearly on Googles site.

upD8R
Community Member

Here also Germany affected ...

Phildamb
Community Member

So your doorbell dropped within 20 minutes of mine also dropping offline. So 100% they've booked something on their side and don't seem to be admitting it or resolving it. 

Kenwa
Community Member

Exactly the same time mine disappeared. It's probably when the server tanked.

SRUK
Community Member

https://status.nest.com/

They gave me this by Twitter message. "No current issue"

A total joke of a company.

Kenwa
Community Member

If you hover over the question mark at "Nest Apps" it shows "We are aware of an issue..". So status is ok, it's just not working 😀

It's still not fixed. I don't want to reset and lose my settings, footage and facial recognition data. 

Kake
Community Member

Same issue here.. live view not possible. Still receives alerts.  (Norway)

Exactly the same issue here. Based in UK and 2x cameras showing as offline and no live feed, yet still getting notifications of events. Hope they sort it soon, if not, I'll try factory resetting as others have suggested. 

Namco
Community Member

The silence from Google representatives in this thread is astounding.  There's now multiple threads from people all over Europe with the same issue.  The 2 cameras I factory reset yesterday are still working.  The Nest Hub Max camera will still not connect even after a factory reset.  The 4th camera, I've left to see if Google actually fix the issue, is still showing offline in the Home app but is still recording clips and sending alerts so is clearly not offline.

Can we at least get an acknowledgement from someone at Google that this is an issue and is being looked in to or are we all doomed to factory reset, losing all our settings and video history?  And in the case of the Nest Hub Max, losing video capability altogether.

cmatt360
Community Member

To be honest (and not that google care…) I am sorely tempted to strip out most of my google devices and opt for something more reliable.  It doesn’t seem right with me that they have clearly rolled out untested beta firmware (or at least tested but not in a real world scenario) and 24hours later still haven’t rolled back or patched.  

even Google’s twitter isn’t responding to the problem.  Which to me is an admission 🙂 

SRUK
Community Member

If it wasn't for the fact that some of mine are hard wired into the mains and I'd need an electrician to remove them, I'd have replaced them by now!

It is such a shame, I was about to ditch my ring doorbell for google and add a few more cams.

Maybe I should stay with ring and ditch my Google cams instead.

Rhysd2
Community Member

I am having exactly the same issue. Google WiFi connected and the WiFi is fine. Outdoor battery camera is offline but is recording video motion and uploading. Doorbell battery was the same. 

Have since removed the doorbell and it won't find it to re-add it at all. 

I've reset the WiFi and the doorbell and my router. No joy. 

migod11
Community Member

It won't work if you only do a soft reset (insert pin for 5 seconds). You'll be able to add it it again if you do a factory reset (insert pin for 13 seconds). and add it as new device You'll lose all your history and settings though... Done that with one of mine, it is stiil working, but I don't know for how long 🤔

RunnY
Community Member

same here. Two Nestcams are working (indoor and battery) and two are not working proberly (floodlight and battery)

Rhysd2
Community Member

I've just spent a hour on hold waiting to speak to support. When I got through they admitted there is a known issue that was spotted about an hour ago and they are working on it but don't know what the issue is yet. 

Their official advice is to factory reset the devices and reads them but it may take several goes to re-add them. Also it's worth noting you will lose all video history for your devices so save important videos first before removing and resetting them. They didn't tell me this until after I'd reset one device! 

I've reset removed and re-added both of mine. They are now online but we shall see if they stay that way. 

Dan_E
Community Member

Same for me. 2 cameras outdoor and 1 battery doorbell. Reached support who state they know of an issue and their engineers are working on it. 

Attempted to factory reset my doorbell but now it won't re-add to my home. Will try again later. Disappointing from Google. Lack of communication of this obviously wide reaching issue is very poor

Yep. Same problem. Uploads events but doesn't show live view on Home app. Tried resetting it. I hope I didn't hold the button down for too long, which would cause it to factory reset, apparently (13 seconds). I think that this is a very bad developer crisis at Google (I was a developer, myself). It's totally unacceptable for any professional company, let alone one as wealthy and well-resourced as Google!.

Gozem
Community Member

Linking to this thread that is a bit older, but has much more details on debugging done:
https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Offline-issues-with-Google-Nest-Cameras...

Make sure everyone leaves appropriate feedback on the Google app store too relating to this of which is linked to the poor Google home update a few weeks back.

Once the ratings go down it's amazing how the silence from Google becomes aware.

How did you guys add the cams back into Home app after removing or even resetting them? I have 2 cams, removed one from my home and did a factory reset on the other.. now I can't add any back to my home.. the factory reset cam shows "issues when connecting to Google servers" during last step... what a mess and still no official announcement afaik. 

Dan_E
Community Member

I'm kind of in the same boat, did a factory reset on my Battery Doorbell and now won't join the home. Support unable to assist (said try again in 24 hours or they can send a replacement if in warranty...even though a new device surely won't sort anyway). I've seen that others have been able to re-add devices after a few attempts but on the other hand there are those like me that are stuck until Google pull their finger out and sort from their end.

SRUK
Community Member

The support ticket I raised yesterday, Google said they would monitor for 24hrs and then give me an update.

The only advice they gave early today was a factor reset which I have done and cannot reconnect. They've not been able to give me a fix. Totally shocking service.

They are not responding to any of my chases and are still refusing to acknowledge there is an issue. 

One of my Nest camera (battery) has also gone offline, but is also recording events and I'm in the UK. I factory reset, as per the advice above, and now I too can't add it back to my Home. Hopefully my other cameras don't share the same fate over the next few days.

This is very much 'Google being Google', zero communication, slow moving and frustrating to deal with.

I've now had an actual interaction with Google support. They sort of acknowledge the fault but then still had me run pointless diagnostics like a speed test. They don't acknowledge any form of compensation if you're paying for the service that they've broken e.g. nest aware.