cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest app and the Google App

Mare57
Community Member

Hi. 

I have 2 Nest Cameras. One indoor, one outside.  I have the nest cam app but its only showing my outdoor camera.  I traded in my drop cam (indoor camera) for the Nest Cam Pro.

THe issue I am having is, both cameras only appear in the Google app, and my new Nest Cam is not showing in the Nest Cam app.  I entered all the info but when it asked me to enter a serial number, it did not display the list and just hung. The outside camera appears in both apps, just not the new Nest Cam.

What do I do?

Thank you

2 Recommended AnswerS

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Mare57 

You have discovered what we discovered when we bought a 2nd gen Google Nest Battery Camera in 2021.  The 2nd gen Google Nest Cameras and Doorbells work ONLY in the Google Home app and NOT in the Google Nest app.  If you sign up for the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app, it is possible to "transfer" your 1st gen cameras (but not IQ cameras or doorbells) to this beta version, but even this beta version still does not have the same functions as the Google Nest app (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/13038234#zippy=%2Cnest-app-only-features). 

We've had to use 2 apps for our Google Nest cameras and doorbells ever since Sept. 2021.

View Recommended Answer in original post

@LynnK 

I think you can use a non-gmail account to log into a Google Account, but Google still creates a gmail account for you: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/176347?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop#:~:text=When%20y...

My understating, based on MANY posts in this forum, is that you need to log into the Google Home app with a gmail account in order to manage Google Nest devices.

1st gen cameras and doorbells don't migrate; the Nest Account migrates to a Google Account.  We migrated in 2020 and continue to use the Google Nest app for our 1st gen cameras and doorbells.

If you use a Google Account to log into the Google Home app and install a 2nd gen camera there, you will have two separate Google Nest "homes" and will not be able to see both cameras in the Google Home app or on the home.google.com website in the same Google Nest "home/structure". You will also be precluded from migrating your Nest Account to that Google Account in the future, and will have to use a workaround; see this Help topic: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9297676?hl=en&sjid=6411579816064472368-NC

View Recommended Answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Mare57 

You have discovered what we discovered when we bought a 2nd gen Google Nest Battery Camera in 2021.  The 2nd gen Google Nest Cameras and Doorbells work ONLY in the Google Home app and NOT in the Google Nest app.  If you sign up for the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app, it is possible to "transfer" your 1st gen cameras (but not IQ cameras or doorbells) to this beta version, but even this beta version still does not have the same functions as the Google Nest app (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/13038234#zippy=%2Cnest-app-only-features). 

We've had to use 2 apps for our Google Nest cameras and doorbells ever since Sept. 2021.

If I add my new 2nd gen Google nest cam to a newly created Google Home app it won't effect my old 1st gen camera I am still using in the Nest app will it? I can use a separate app for each camera independently correct. It would be the same email but I have not migrated or changed anything over to google yet...

@LynnK 

How are you going to use the same email for both the Google Home app and the Google Nest app if you have NOT migrated your Nest Account to a Google Account?  You can only use gmail accounts for the Google Home app.  If you started using the Google Nest app after mid-2019 and are using a gmail account to log into the Google Nest app using the "Sign in with Google" option, then you do NOT need to migrate, and you can log into the Google Home app with the same gmail account and install your 2nd gen camera in the same Google Nest "home/structure". But if you have a 1st gen Nest Aware subscription on your 1st gen camera, that subscription cannot be extended to 2nd gen cameras.

I use a microsoft email for the Nest app not a .gmail. I sign in using "sign in with Nest" and not 'sign in with Google'.  I do have a Google account with the same email (Just a different password) It's not a .gmail account but it is a Google account that I have for Flickr and a couple of other things. You can have a Google account even if you don't have a .gmail. So it's not sign in the Google, it's sign in with .gmail on the home app? 
I don't think my 1st gen camera can migrate and I do have a 1st gen Nest aware on it. So I didn't want to mess with any of that, just get a new google home app and add my new camera.

@LynnK 

I think you can use a non-gmail account to log into a Google Account, but Google still creates a gmail account for you: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/176347?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop#:~:text=When%20y...

My understating, based on MANY posts in this forum, is that you need to log into the Google Home app with a gmail account in order to manage Google Nest devices.

1st gen cameras and doorbells don't migrate; the Nest Account migrates to a Google Account.  We migrated in 2020 and continue to use the Google Nest app for our 1st gen cameras and doorbells.

If you use a Google Account to log into the Google Home app and install a 2nd gen camera there, you will have two separate Google Nest "homes" and will not be able to see both cameras in the Google Home app or on the home.google.com website in the same Google Nest "home/structure". You will also be precluded from migrating your Nest Account to that Google Account in the future, and will have to use a workaround; see this Help topic: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9297676?hl=en&sjid=6411579816064472368-NC

Thank you. You are always very helpful. I appreciate your response!

Mare57
Community Member

Yeah I don't see that I am able to talk through the camera in Google Cam, but I can with the Nest Cam.  Also can not save clips on the Google cam.  I think its time to find an alternative.