cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest battery cam misses a LOT of events, this is not a security camera?

RSP8
Community Member

I’ve made a mistake and got hold of a new Nest battery cam, it is absolutely useless. Given the numerous reports that these simply don’t detect events I am puzzled how they can continue to be sold as a security solution?

As long as I only get burgled by very slow moving criminals who look directly in to the camera from close range, I should be OK. But since I can walk past my camera, which points directly down my driveway (in fact I can DRIVE AN SUV past it) without being detected I’m not sure it will help should bad things happen. I have it set to detect all motion, and high sensitivity.

It is, however, quite good at detecting the back of people walking away, hit rate on that is probably 80%. Otherwise, I’d say it gets ############% of people walking towards it. I’ve set up zones, I’ve set to max sensitivity, I’m just joining the long queue of people disappointed with having spent so much on such a poor product. I also have a Nest doorbell, which picks up all the people who walked undetected past the camera. It’s interesting to compare the histories of both products.

4 REPLIES 4

RSP8
Community Member

I have no idea why the numbers got hashed out, but what I said was thirty to forty percent. So less than half of the times I walk towards it (or cycle, or drive) it records an event.

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@RSP8 

Is your Google Nest Camera (Battery) by any chance running on battery power? If so, then the camera is in "Idle" mode until it detects an event. The impression I have from posts from other customers is that because it is in "Idle" mode it takes the camera awhile to wake up and detect events. In one post about this (https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Idle-Camera-No-motion-detection/m-p/110...), Google Nest Support says "There is no such fix for this at this time still. Nest Cam (battery) will go into idle mode whenever it's running on battery. To stream live video in this case, you'll first need to tap "Live video" for your camera in the Google Home app. If Nest Cam (battery) is wired, the live video will stream without needing to tap the option."

We have had a Google Nest Camera (Battery) since Sept. 2021 that is plugged in all the time with the optional power cable. Because it is plugged in, it is "Live" all the time and does a good job of detecting and recording events.

RSP8
Community Member

This is exactly the issue, so I wonder how Google can keep advertising and selling the ‘battery’ cam as a security option when in actual fact most of the time it is asleep and will only detect very slow moving or close events?

What’s the point of paying a premium for the battery cam when it only works if you hard wire it? This really seems to be something fundamental that isn’t working - it’s useless unless it is constantly plugged in…and Google do NOT make that obvious before you install it and find out for yourself.

@RSP8 

Agreed. We own a Google Nest Camera (Battery) WITH the optional power cable only because Google Nest quit selling the Google Nest Outdoor Camera.