cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest flood camera not installing

Jimme
Community Member

Okay. I I know it’s frustrating when you’re trying to get everything to work the way it should. Google nest products are really reliable and it’s kind of frustrating when it doesn’t go as planned. I hope that my testimonial will help you troubleshoot your Google Home app working with your Google nest floodlight camera.

I called the 800 number and on one day and spoke with one tech. Bad luck for me I called on a Friday night and it seem like the guy wanted to get off the phone so he gave me a case number and I called on Saturday morning. The second tech was a little bit more helpful very technical and was resilient and trying to figure out one way or another to get the home app to see the camera. 

The following were the steps that we took to try to resolve the issue.

One we reset the nest floodlight camera back to factory. I did this by holding down the little pin on the back of the camera for 12 seconds until I heard the chime. The nest floodlight camera is hardwired into the electrical so there was no unplugging it fortunately for me I had a light switch connected to it so I just turned off the power so this way I could make sure that the nest cam was off.

two on the Home app I was able to have the buttons show up so I could see that and turn on and off the floodlight but I was getting no straight video stream from the camera button. All I would see would be the general information about the camera but no live feed. Mind you there’s a folder or a group called cameras at the very top of the Home app and then depending on the location the room that you set the camera to there two different places. At the very top of the whole map you’ll have the cameras if you click on it it’ll show you the group of cameras that are streaming the video I did not see the camera in that location. The room I set the camera to I saw the camera and I saw the flood light and I could turn on and off the floodlight but no life video feedback and there was also no way to remove the camera from the Home app . So the next step was to delete a Google Home app from my iPhone. I have an iPhone 12 so I selected the home google home app until it says to remove it I removed it.

The third thing was going through the phone the iPhone to iOS operating system to make sure that it will have the current updates or to also check and confirm verify that the Google Home app was the latest version so this way we can go out it’s that it’s a software issue on the phone that’s associated with the Google Home app and the iOS so just make sure that your phone is updated make sure that you have the latest Google home app from the App Store if you have an iPhone OK.

now the next part was crucial we had to turn off the iPhone we had to reboot the device itself so this way if the app is running in the background we would kill all the services so you have to power down your iPhone. if you have an iPhone 12 volume up volume down hold the close button on the right side of the phone until you see the little slider anf slide to the right and then just turn off your phone.

After you power down for about three minutes turn on your iPhone. Once your phone comes up go to the App Store and download the Google Home app.

Sign into the Google Home app with your Google ID. Your home network should populate and it will also ask you to find for new devices you could just tell it not now so this way your home network loads in the Google Home app.

last is just add the new device to your home network by click it on the little + on the top left. Select what you’re adding camera. Make sure you have the little QRC code from the little sticker from the camera close by because you’re gonna need to scan it. Scan it go through the steps by clicking next it will do updates for the floodlight camera. The following steps will show you the live feed from the camera you should be able to see it. And just keep hitting next until the set up says that it is complete edit finished. 

you should be able to view the live video feed from the camera folder up at the very top of the Home app you will also see the new button for the floodlight camera.

When I was adding the camera I created a new location before I added the camera just in case it had problems with the old location for example,  say it was called first location was the office, I selected another one that said hallway and then I added the camera there so this way it had a clean location to add the camera.

With support on the line the whole session took 1.5 hours on the phone.

make sure wifi is strongly available for camera to access wifi network.

1. reset camera to factory. Hold little button on back of camera for 12 seconds or until you hear the google chime. Wait for little light to blink blue. 

2. Delete Google home app from iPhone 

3. Make sure iphone ios is current and run updates as necessary.

4. Reboot your iPhone. Volume up volume down and click and hold power button until power slider appears to shut down phone.

5. After 2-3 minutes power on the iPhone 

6. download latest version of google home app.

7. Sign into google home app.

8. Add the new device.

9 scan camera qrc code

10. add new room location 

11 click Next all the way through installation 

12 wait for  installation to complete. 

Camera should appear in google home app.

Note:google home app will have the errored install buttons for camera , there is no way to remove them. Nest is transitioning to google. 
only generation 1 nest cameras work with the nest app for installation. Generation 2 cameras only install through google home app.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Jim

0 REPLIES 0