cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

No way to get timestamps on footage with Nest Wireless Cameras in Google Home App

matt3
Community Member

When a camera records an event on a Nest Wireless Camera you cannot save the video with a timestamp.  This means if you need the footage for any purpose, there is actually no way of saving it with timestamp data for use after the 30 days.  I looked it up on their page and 100% this is what it says.

I ask this, why would you want a camera system that holds events for 30 days, and you have no way of actually downloading them with a time stamp, should you have to use the footage for something?

Please if you are going to respond to this with a solution, don't talk about the Nest app.  Wireless Nest Cameras are NOT compatible with the Nest app.  That app is mostly discontinued.  What that means is there are a series of features not available.  It also means having different cameras on different apps.

I am having serious regrets with putting in Google Nest Cameras.  I really should have looked closer but the marketing is so elusive some obvious things don't appear.  I know someone who bought the Unify camera system and it works so much better for them.  Biggest waste of AUD$1000 i have spent on home security.  Would love to return them for a full refund. 

I also have issues with cameras disconnecting and not waking up which lays dormant on another thread with heaps of other people experiencing the same issues, and token solutions from "Google" people just stringing people along until they get sick of asking, then I assume they delete the threads due to inactivity.  Disgusting for a company as big and reputable as Google that they have a product this sub par really.

1 REPLY 1

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hi Matt3,  I had the exact same frustration with the time stamp.  For a while I was saving the clips to my iPhone and then onto my computer's hard drive and I would include the time/date stamp manually in the filename.    I ultimately could not deal with the limitations and other issues (like not being able to see the cams from my computer's browser) so I returned them and bought used Gen1 cams from ebay.  I will continue on this path until such time that the Google Home app gets the features I need.... which is basically everything in the nest app.