cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Doorbell View Rendering

JustinDSheridan
Community Member

I have a nest doorbell connected to a 400MB internet connection but any time someone rings my doorbell it takes 45 seconds to two minutes to render the app’s camera view so I can interact. It’s been this way since the day I got it. Does anyone else have this issue? I’d expect the app to be much faster than this. 

194 REPLIES 194

Gambo
Community Member

they most likely could they just dont give a fuk i been a support for 6 months now and we barely know about the bugs and issues that cannot be fixed with troubleshooting so we spend weeks troubleshooting someones device and then when the so called T2 the smarter guys supposedly tell you to tell your customer that they are escalating to T3 the guys that should be even more usefull and then nothing comes back no more troubleshooting just wait for update.... very fun company to work with and i now would like to hang myself even more than before i started 🙂   

JP_in_VA
Community Member

I'm shopping for a new doorbell from someone other than Google Nest.  They don't care about us.

Adam44
Community Member

My old Ring door bell was 1000% better than my new Nest wireless doorbell.

JP_in_VA
Community Member

I do have a theory about the poor performance and why Google hasn't addressed it.  I believe the core issue is the fact that the video signal goes back to Google servers first, and then is piped back to us.  This is talked about on other threads so other folks have the same theory.  I believe this is how they are able to protect their subscription service.  There use to be a third party app that would allow you to store your video locally.  Google killed it by routing the signal to the cloud first.

Dougm51
Community Member

Likely the Google Nest support staff is not old enough to drive yet so they figure its just a bunch of old fuddy dutties complaining. True “Customer Support” is just a memory now unfortunately for far to many companies. 

Gambo
Community Member

jep thats how we get trained 🙂 and why im quitting 

Whippeto
Community Member

Gents, you cant have it as bad as the Google Ads support..... they are very obvs students straight out of Uni, 3 months training then released on th epublic. Problem is I have managed over 100 business GAds campaigns for 10yrs plus so I know soooo much more than they do. THen when I actually need them - for example to resolve a conflict within their own algorithms - I just get a student trying to tell me which keywords to have in my ad copy. So i feel for you guys. Google really need to start looking at what goe son on the ground rather than at their balance sheets.

oh, this is 100% the cause of the issue. But they still need to address it. With today’s network infrastructure, making a connection to the camera’s stream should be available a lot quicker. 

Sardonix
Community Member

I received a brand new replacement doorbell last week due to the peeling issue.
After installing it I have the exact same problems as with the old doorbell so it’s definitely not a hardware issue either. 

Ivan0410
Community Member

Same issue. Cheap Chinese doorbells work way better. Why do I have to pay monthly for a service that just doesn't work? 

Please forward this to your management:

Dear nest team, 

I paid £190 for your doorbell + paying £5 monthly subscription. 

It takes ages to view recorded video, clearly there is an issue with you servers where video is stored. 

Google owns youtube. Pretty sure you can use their streaming capabilities to fix this in no time.

Ask youtube product managers to look at this, if you are underqualified for the job!

Fix your service or sell the division to someone who knows what they are doing!

Kind Regards, 

One of your customers

Nairda
Community Member

Same issue here. Any help would be appreciated.

Gambo
Community Member

what kind of help would you like the same troubleshooting steps thats been done for half a year now or make a feedback in google home app and wait for the update where they fix the issue thats been known for pretty long now ur call btw im actually a support for these guys 

Slom
Community Member

I'd like the issue to be fixed. Alternative platforms do not have a problem with this. 

At the very least, it's be nice if they just acknowledge that it's a problem, explain why it's happening and if they are planning to fix it.

Is it because the app loads the whole smart home suite rather than just the feed?

Is it a hardware limitation because the doorbell turns off WiFi to save battery?

Is it a network connectivity issue authenticating too slowly?

I don't care how technical the explanation is, I just grow tired of being gaslit. It's clearly a widespread issue, it's clearly not on my end, so what is it? Why should I continue to invest in the Google platform and give you my data? What are you actually doing to fix this? Is it just going to be fixed in the next version? What do I need to do? Buy a competitors product?

AMonroe1911
Community Member

Nothing works. Even upgraded my device to the latest doorbell. Someone rings my doorbell, I get the notification from Google Home, I click on the notification and the app spins for an eternity, never allowing me to interact with the person at my door. Such a wasted  technology investment. Nest was great BEFORE personal data hungry Google acquired them.

Jeff_Lebowski
Community Member

I replaced the Google Doorbell with eufy Doorbell, cancelt the subscription of Nest. Goodbye Google. Btw i also cancelt the Pixel 8 Pro!

Sardonix
Community Member

Replaced my doorbell recently due to the peeling issue of the front panel. New doorbell has the exact same delay issues as the previous. If it wasn’t already clear: it has nothing to do with smartphones, app versions or internet connection. It’s all down to Googles infrastructure and the connections that need to be established when the doorbell is pressed. 
we’ve resorted to switching the mechanical bell back on again so we don’t miss anyone at the door. 
Will be switching to UniFi Protect pretty soon. 

Aljohnson
Community Member

Same issues here. Wired doorbell and a camera. All on same network. Camera is great, I can click in and rewind without issues. Doorbell was great many years back but now it’s terrible. Takes too long to load image and rewinding is epic. Yes I’ve tried the fixes as stated above. Still the same issues. 

Koolwaterstof
Community Member

Unfortunately I'm also having this issue with the battery doorbell. 1Gbps up/down internet connection with a highly capable mesh network. The device has a strong connection to the network, but it always takes minutes to load the video feed!

Notifications are usually pretty quick, but the video feed is pointless at this point.

It's incredibly disappointing to see that Google have just been palming off this issue for so long rather than acknowledging it.

Adam44
Community Member

One of the worst tech decisions i made was switching from Ring to Google Nest Wireless. The doorbell is aesthetically pleasing (white colour) but the product is useless! 

MitchUK
Community Member

It's a god awful product. Google know it is as well, because I'm getting questions about its speed on Google Rewards. Really disappointing that they haven't fixed it by now, but I suspect it's a hardware issue they just can't fix. I'm not buying another from Google, that's for sure.

Ray12
Community Member

I have a google doorbell, an outdoor cam, and a floodlight cam.  All take minutes to load, if ever.  Past videos take forever to load as well. 

wish we could submit a class action, this is a bad.  I’ve spent $600 on all of this and am looking to switch to another camera provider next month. Google get your stuff together……

abchoudhury
Community Member

Having same issue, google doorbell (wired) takes a long time to load. Wifi connection is strong.

Mrstnl
Community Member

I have the same issues. It loads way too slow. Strange enough when I disconnect wifi on my phone it’s quicker to connect

Odd indeed! 

For me it's slow at home and away. 

Dougm51
Community Member

I’ll have to give that a try. 
Thanks

dg1sek
Community Member

Same problem. The whole "doorbell" is really unusable as a "doorbell". It works as a camera to monitor what's going on outside on the street, but having to wait even 10s to see who rings the bell really breaks the use case.

roshansriram
Community Member

If it is any consolation, i have the exact problem, takes about 15-20 seconds to access live camera or slightly even higher. Whoever is on the other end gets restless by then.My modem is just one wall( plasterboard) away from the doorbell itself. I thought my wifi connection was bad! Then, i thought perhaps if i had the wired version of the doorbell, it would've been better. But now, by reading yours and other people's post, it looks like we all are facing exactly the same issue! My plan is 100mb(Speed) plan with my ISP! I live in Sydney, Australia

dfwrentalprop
Community Member

Same problem as others. I have a network extender right on the inside part of the same wall on which the doorbell is mounted. The wifi signal has all bars where the doorbell is at and it takes forever for the camera to load only when someone hits the doorbell. It is a dumb doorbell at this time and now I am considering replacing it with another product. 

naph8it
Community Member

Same issue, I recently upgraded from the first gen nest doorbell, that thing worked flawlessly, it was instant and never once had an issue connecting.

The new Nest Batters is hardwired, I have nest pro wifi (on the other side of that same wall/window), strong connection... It's terrible and I get an error when loading the camera about 50% of the time.

tfarr001
Community Member

Same problem here. I also noticed that when I watch a video of someone approaching the door that when they ring the doorbell it shows the video going offline for a bit. Such a frustrating device.

pd000001
Community Member

Interested thread, I also have massive delays with the bell ringing and video loading. Working at home and the app is useless as it rarely loads, we have the google mini hubs and video sometimes loads. My internet is fast, 1Gig up/down and my wifi is very good - I work on wifi as part of my job. 

The t-shooting and steps Google use just blame everything else, your phone, app, wifi, internet. 

The delay is within the google eco-system. If I get time I'll try to do a packet capture of the door bell traffic and this should show the response time. 

Maybe worth while knowing what other brands people recommmend.

Jeff_Lebowski
Community Member

I changed back to eufy Doorbell. It works way better than this garbage. And they respond also faster than Google support here. 

pd000001
Community Member

Did a quick bit of analysis on the traffic and the actual time for a response seems OK, it's from 0.007 secs to 0.1 secs and the device/IP my doorbell talks to is probably in/near London - so close. Ping takes 11ms on average so good.

Wifi connnection all good = 78Mbps data rate, 30db signal 

When I ring the bell the app sometimes loads the video and the nest hub just says the camera is offline.

What is odd is that the app works OK if you just want to view the camera, same with the nest hub you can view the camera.

When someone rings the door bell it goes to sh1t. Will check eufy and some other doorbells out.

Dougm51
Community Member
It’s great to see on the comments on this thread. 
Maybe if we keep it up Google may do something to fix it…. <chuckle, chuckle>
I like the reply about what some are switching to and their like and /or dislikes with other products. 
Thanks for everyone’s time & interest. 

roshansriram1
Community Member

100MBPS Modem. It is in the garage. There is only the garage door and/or the weatherboard wall in between the doorbell, which is about 7-10 meters in distance! Takes about 30 seconds for the rendering to happen and for me to interact via phone. My bedroom and family room is about 15-20 meters away with multiple weatherboard walls inbetween! It is absolutely frustrating, when i am unable to interact straightway as we would, when a conventional doorbell is pressed! 

pd000001
Community Member

I have just replaced the nest wired with a Ring plus model. Running on the same wifi/internet and it works great, no huge delay when the bell rings, game over for  for nest and google....

Rafael96
Community Member

I have the same issue, any luck figuring out why? 

Must be an issue with the hardware/infra in google, measure the wifi signals and ran a packet capture and there were no issues. 

The replacement doorbell doesn't have these issues, so best advice is to bin the nest and cancel your subs - which isn't great I know but the nest is just a hassle. 

Dougm51
Community Member

If you don't mind me asking, did you get another Nest or go with a different unit.

If so, what brand.

Thanks

pd000001
Community Member

Ring battery plus, doesn’t have all the fancy face recognition but it works in seconds