cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can't set up Chromecast with Google TV, can't connect directly.

Daniel16
Community Member

I hope you guys can help me, because either I'm too stupid or my Chromecast is broken.

I bought 2 weeks ago a Chromecast with Google TV, plugged it in, and can't connect it at all. It tries to connect with my Wi-Fi but can't find a connection. So I Googled a bit and found out it may have to do with 2.4 and 5 GHz. So I separated these in my network, but it didn't help.

I then tried it without Google Home, but it didn't help either. Factory reset it, and tried it again. Finally it connected with my network, but also didn't connect because it couldn't connect with my Google account. I got the advice to connect directly with wifi, and tried it, but it requires a password that I don't have.

I don't know what to do anymore, I tested everything I found on the internet, in FAQs, in guides. I feel like a medieval peasant trying to build a rocket.

1 Recommended Answer

I would try a different network just to make sure it isn't a router incompatibility of some sort. 

I recently had an issue where a configured CCwGTV I use for traveling stopped connecting to my travel router. After googling it, I found the recommendation of trying 5ghz and that fixed it, but it sounds like you already tried that?

View Recommended Answer in original post

17 REPLIES 17

CarlosS
Bronze
Bronze

Are you using an Android phone?  Typically on the wifi settings of Android you can view the password of your wifi. So that should help you with the wifi password you don't know. 

Daniel16
Community Member

It's not the wifi of my router. I try to connect directly with the Chromecast by selecting it in my Wifi. It's there as Chromecast3160.ytb,

My apologies, I misunderstood. 

If I remember right, the CCwGTV can be configured with the Home app and just by using the remote control. Have you tried both ways? 

Daniel16
Community Member

I have tried both. With the home app it says "connecting" until the app tells the there was an issue.

And with just the remote it finds the router but then has a circle spinning nonstop. I also thought that this circle means it's updating and let it run, but nothing changed after two hours.

Do you have a different internet connection you can try? Like a phone hotspot for example? 

Daniel16
Community Member

I have an extender but it does the same there. I also reset my router.

I would try a different network just to make sure it isn't a router incompatibility of some sort. 

I recently had an issue where a configured CCwGTV I use for traveling stopped connecting to my travel router. After googling it, I found the recommendation of trying 5ghz and that fixed it, but it sounds like you already tried that?

Daniel16
Community Member

@CarlosS wrote:

I tried that. My extender only works with 2.4Ghz and I've set up my router to give me seperate 2.4 and 5.0 SSIDs. But neither worked.

Daniel16
Community Member

I will just leave a comment in hopes I somehow get help. I was finally able to connect it to my router, but can't connect it to my Google account. It has zero restrictions, no closed ports, nothing. I even lifted EVERY network security in hopes it was my network at fault. But it still doesn't works. I honestly feel like I bought garbage and nobody wants to help me.

Do you get some sort of error when logging into your account?

Daniel16
Community Member

Just that it can't connect. No error code, no issue, nothing.

Sounds like there is some network issue. If you skip setting up a Google account, does the network work?

Daniel16
Community Member

What network issue should I have, please, tell me what exactly should be causing this issue if I deactivated everything that can in any way hinder a connection. I've even opened my network for a short time so much that everyone could access it. There are no closed ports or firewalls.

And how should I be able to skip connecting it with my Google account. When I manually set it up with the remote it finds my network but can't connect to the internet at all.

Why is it just this single object refusing to connect to the internet when even my 20 year old audio receiver was able to connect without any issues.

It is impossible for me to know without being there, I was just suggesting a troubleshooting step with what little information I have. 

While issues like this shouldn't happen, networks have weird issues sometimes. I had a user that their internet would drop after visiting an specific website from one specific phone on one specific browser. No other phone would do it. No other website. No other browser. They tried it dozens of times, same result every time. They rebooted their router and it fixed the issue. I'm not saying that is your case, just mentioning it because network issues can be weird like that.

I haven't done the setup of a CCwGTV in a while but most Android devices have a skip button when they ask you to add a Google account. If you do that then you can go in further and test the internet connection. 

Daniel16
Community Member

Sorry if I sound mean. Didn't want to. I'm just annoyed that I can't set it up.

My android doesn't has the option to skip it. And as it's a Google pixel 6 I would be surprised that it has issues connecting with my Chromecast.

I also tried to set it up without the app, simply with the remote. It seems to find my router, my router shows me the IP of my Chromecast, then my Chromecast tries to update itself but fails with the message "internet connection lost" while my router shows a stable connection.

Can you try doing the setup with a hotspot (the update might download a lot of data)? 

Daniel16
Community Member

I will try that tomorrow.