cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Casting from chrome causing backwards and forwards issues

Huntsman
Community Member

Hi all, I have an unusual problem which I thought would be fixed by getting fibre installed, it did not.

All normal streaming sites work with no drama but when I stream directly from chrome the video will bounce backwards and forwards whenever it wants.....it is the most annoying way to watch anything....I've tried everything I can think off....any help would be really appreciated

1 Recommended Answer

Byteguy
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Are you mirroring your computer's screen?  If so, that explains why your two experiences are so different.

For "normal casting", your computer tells the service (Netflix, Google Movies, etc) to push the content directly to your Chromecast device.  Your computer doesn't handle any of the stream.  It just acts as a remote control and gets occasional updates.   There are times where you can actually turn OFF your computer and the streaming continues.   Moving to a faster internet definitely helps this situation

But, when you mirror, your computer is heavily involved.  It actually gets the content, displays it on your screen, records a copy of what it is displaying, and pushes that copy to the Chromecast device.  That is a lot of work to do all at one time while trying to keep both your screen and your Chromecast display smooth.   Upgrading your internet will not help this because the bottleneck is in your computer.

Try doing things that take any extra workload off of your computer; shut down programs you don't need, run a cleaning tool, make sure everything is up to date, add memory if you can.

Mirroring may never be totally smooth.  But you may be able to make it better.

View Recommended Answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Byteguy
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Are you mirroring your computer's screen?  If so, that explains why your two experiences are so different.

For "normal casting", your computer tells the service (Netflix, Google Movies, etc) to push the content directly to your Chromecast device.  Your computer doesn't handle any of the stream.  It just acts as a remote control and gets occasional updates.   There are times where you can actually turn OFF your computer and the streaming continues.   Moving to a faster internet definitely helps this situation

But, when you mirror, your computer is heavily involved.  It actually gets the content, displays it on your screen, records a copy of what it is displaying, and pushes that copy to the Chromecast device.  That is a lot of work to do all at one time while trying to keep both your screen and your Chromecast display smooth.   Upgrading your internet will not help this because the bottleneck is in your computer.

Try doing things that take any extra workload off of your computer; shut down programs you don't need, run a cleaning tool, make sure everything is up to date, add memory if you can.

Mirroring may never be totally smooth.  But you may be able to make it better.

Huntsman
Community Member

Thanks for that reply. No I'm not mirroring from a pc or my phone, just straight streaming from my phone to chromecast. I have 2 chromecasts, does it on both.  I recently got my wife an A23 Ultra and even having a flash phone it still does it.

Byteguy
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

I'm confused.  You say you are streaming from Chrome.

The Mobile version of Chrome does not support streaming.  You have to mirror to cast Mobile Chrome.

Mirroring your phone can have the same problems as mirroring a computer.