We are a school district that has 50 plus Chromecast-Ultra throughout the district. Starting 9/13/21 we had a Chromecast in a room that the teacher was unable to see in the casting option on the Google browser. The teacher however could see all the other Chromecast that are set up on that Wi-Fi network. When I looked on my computer in our tech office I was able to see the Chromecast device listed and connect to it. I then went to my Google Home App on my phone and mirrored it to the Chromecast. After I completed this step the Chromecast appeared in the teachers Chrome casting options. This issue was resolved until the same issue occurred on 9/17/21.
On Monday 9/21/21 I had three more rooms with the same issue start to happen. As soon as I mirror my phone to the Chromecast device it then shows up in the options for them to cast a tab in Chrome.
Today 9/22/21 I received a call from yet another teacher with the same issue.
I have five different rooms with the same issue. We have had this exact set up for 2 years and this issue has just started to happen and appears to be spreading. The Chromecast Ultra is connected to the projector in the room. Wi-Fi connected. The devices connecting to the Chromecast Ultra are all on the same Wi-Fi network. The Access Point is either in the classroom or the next classroom over. This set up has been in place and working for 2 years, so I am very wary when Google tells me the location of the devices may be causing this issue. Why would it take 2 years for this to be the issue?
I need any guidance to locating the issue for this problem. It is not a viable solution for me to have to connect to the Chromecast device with the phone everyday, especially if I am not in that school at the time of issue or on vacation.
Hey there CMiller,
I apologize about the late response, thank you for being patient! Were you able to figure out that casting issue? If not, I'd be happy to help out, let me just ask you some questions about what's happening:
I look forward to your response, and if you have any other questions or concerns for me, please let me know!
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Here is some information for you to consider.
Firmware version: 1.56.264660
LED light: White
Only device that is able to connect is my phone in the Google Home App since it was set up through there.
Google Chrome version: 94.0.4606.71
Thank you for your response!
It seems that the Chromecast devices are still connected to the network, and nothing has changed. What may be the issue is either the Wi-Fi connectivity in one of your Access Points has suddenly dropped/fluctuated, and made the Chromecasts not discover-able for a brief moment. Rebooting the Chromecast devices or the router normally fixes the issue.
If the connection is great and the issue is still happening, you might also want to check if there are programs like anti-viruses that may have suddenly restricted the discover-ability of Chromecast
Let me know if that resolves the issue!
The Chromecast devices have been rebooted and the Access Points have been rebooted during this entire process. The brief moment appears to be everyday when I come into work. I have to cast from my google home app and then the chrome browser on all of the computers can see the Chromecast device again and cast to it. As for anti-virus we have not changed any programs in our network that would have this effect. The Chromecast devices have been working for one to two years without an issue like this.
Thank you for taking the time to look into this for me.