cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

MAC address for Chromecast with google tv

Shayma
Community Member

Hi,

for me to connect my chromecast to my wifi, I need to get a MAC address for the chromecast. However I can’t find anything. I’ve been trying for the past 3 hours to connect to the wifi but nothing is working. I cannot even set it up on the Google home app. I don’t get past the wifi page to set it up. When I press on the three buttons on the top right, and press of MAC address, it says to look on the device itself, but I can’t find it. I need help 

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Chromecast devices don't support these kind of Wifi systems, known as captive portals, that require you to login first and/or register the Chromecast MAC address to be able to access the internet.

In addition, Chromecast with Google TV uses a privacy enhancing feature called MAC address randomisation. This means it generates a unique MAC address for every Wifi network you connect to. Unfortunately, to turn this feature off you would need to be able to connect Chromecast to the Wifi network at least once in order to be able to get to the settings and turn that feature off, so you're in a catch 22 situation which means it's not possible to connect your Chromecast to that Wifi network.

There are a couple of possible solutions for this:

1. Although unsupported by Google, you can try to use a phone or tablet as a Wifi hotspot. However, this will then use your mobile data plan, which could be expensive for you depending on the data plan you have with your carrier. Note you will need 2 devices to set this up.
    • Turn on the Wifi hotspot feature on a phone or tablet. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to the manufacturer's support website.
    • Connect a second phone or tablet to that Wifi hotspot.
    • You can then use that second phone or tablet to setup your device and connect it to the Wifi hotspot on the first phone or tablet.
  2. If you're able to use  a wired network connection instead, you could invest in your own cheap Wifi router, connect that router to the wired network provided and connect your devices to that router instead.

View Recommended Answer in original post

1 REPLY 1

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Chromecast devices don't support these kind of Wifi systems, known as captive portals, that require you to login first and/or register the Chromecast MAC address to be able to access the internet.

In addition, Chromecast with Google TV uses a privacy enhancing feature called MAC address randomisation. This means it generates a unique MAC address for every Wifi network you connect to. Unfortunately, to turn this feature off you would need to be able to connect Chromecast to the Wifi network at least once in order to be able to get to the settings and turn that feature off, so you're in a catch 22 situation which means it's not possible to connect your Chromecast to that Wifi network.

There are a couple of possible solutions for this:

1. Although unsupported by Google, you can try to use a phone or tablet as a Wifi hotspot. However, this will then use your mobile data plan, which could be expensive for you depending on the data plan you have with your carrier. Note you will need 2 devices to set this up.
    • Turn on the Wifi hotspot feature on a phone or tablet. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to the manufacturer's support website.
    • Connect a second phone or tablet to that Wifi hotspot.
    • You can then use that second phone or tablet to setup your device and connect it to the Wifi hotspot on the first phone or tablet.
  2. If you're able to use  a wired network connection instead, you could invest in your own cheap Wifi router, connect that router to the wired network provided and connect your devices to that router instead.