cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No longer able to add devices to Chomecast Remote (Chromecast with Google TV)

iketricktor
Community Member

I was having issues with my Chromecast giving no signal to my Sony TV even though it was on. I contacted Google and they said my device was out of warranty and that I needed to buy a new one, so I did. This new device was having the same issues, so it got warrantied.

I am now on my third Chromecast and now I can't add my TV as a device for the Chromecast remote to control. When I go to settings --> remotes and accessories --> set up remote buttons --> add a device, I get to the screen where it's looking for the brand of the TV and I get an error saying "something went wrong". No matter how many times I select try again, it gives me the same error. I have two different remotes paired to the same Chromecast and they're both giving me that error. 

I have tried a factory reset along with clearing the data in the "Android TV Infrared Service" app and neither has worked.

This was not an issue with the previous Chromecast. What can I do to fix this? I really don't want to get stuck in the cycle of continuously getting warranty replacements and having to start all over.

91 REPLIES 91

Ameno
Community Member

I have this same issue. It just goes back to the previous menu after I want to add the TV as a device for the remote control buttons. Please fix this 

BrokenChromeCas
Community Member

Got the exact same issue as everyone else. There's no error message or anything the list of available TV's doesn't come up and actually nothing happens. 

Samfo
Community Member

Same issue as most, I press Add device > TV and it takes me straight back to the set up remote buttons page.

Michel84
Community Member

I experience the same problem as the other users and have an LG TV as well.

Fededs
Community Member

Come on guys, really? I just got my new one and same issue.

This sucks.

RoccoJ
Community Member

Same here.

banderson1311
Community Member

Having the same problem as everyone else here.

RoccoJ
Community Member

I have solved my issue: turn on the tv and the Chromecast. Then I did a factory reset by holding the small button on the backside of the Chromecast until the yellow blinking light becomes steady white again. After that install your Chromecast by using the Google Nest app on your phone or device. During the install process I got to setup the remote again, correctly this time. In my case this resolved the problem. Hope this will help you guys as well.

TylerHobo
Community Member

This worked for me!

Gdeggs
Community Member

Same issue here! Tried everything everyone else has....

CapaxInfinity
Community Member

Another with the same issue. Purchased last week and both apparently on the most recent software. No error screen, it just jumps immediately back to the previous screen when you select , 'TV/Soundbar/AV Receiver'

wow-man24
Community Member

when i had moved i got a google tv hd for my 2013 tv and it got there the set up buttons and recently moved again and during moving the crome got damaged but the 4k since it was a little more powerful and won’t lag as much and i get get to button set up- select tv and it goes right back to set up tv 

Clifff
Community Member

I'm also having the same issue. I got a brand new Chromecast, when I add tv, It just reverts to the previous screen and nothing happens. 

Hagge
Community Member

Bought mycket 4k version today and havet the same issue

themawchine
Community Member

I bought 2 Chromecast 4k today and neither can set up the remote buttons. The HD I already had is still able to control the TV.

martenolsson83
Community Member

Same issue here 😞

iRdMoose
Community Member

I just purchased my Chromecast to replace a device bricked by another manufacturer. I've been having this issue getting IR controls to work as well. The CEC controls for volume act weird with my AVR and when I try to turn it up or down a single notch, it'll jump 5 to 10 notches, other times it'll only move a single notch. I was hoping to switch to IR to alleviate this since my TV's radio-based remote and AVR's IR remote do not do this. However, I can't switch because the "Add a device" simply crashes after selecting "TV", "Sound bar", or "AVR" without displaying any additional menus.

This is a brand new Chromecast, updated straight out of the box to the latest firmware, and I have another Chromecast coming later today to replace my bricked bedroom media streamer. I'll update this post later with the results from the new Chromecast.

Edit - I just installed my second chromecast and it's exhibiting the same behavior when I try to program the IR remote. I see a small loading spinner for a fraction of a second and then it does nothing. It's very frustrating because my bedroom unit doesn't allow volume control over CEC. All firmwares are updated and this was a brand new unit that I just set up.

Chorrell
Community Member

Same issue here. Need a fix…

admswierszczkow
Community Member

The same issue for me.

Mm1983
Community Member

Exact same issue here. Please fix this.

scose
Community Member

I have connected my CCwGTV 4K to another TV with external amp and because of this bug I can't change the IR setup and changing the volume via CEC is just super slow and sometimes doesn't work at all. Very annoying, please fix this

Centrovoy
Community Member

Any update?

Dylan6880
Community Member

Crazy this issue has existed so long. Just got a new Chromecast ahead of getting a new TV (FHD -> 4K) and thought I'd take care of the setup beforehand and wrap up the old one for now. Oh well, I'll factory reset and wait to set up again til I get the new TV that has CEC anyways.

TylerHobo
Community Member

Exact same issue. Even tried another Voice Remote so I know it’s not a hardware issue. Please resolve! 

TylerHobo
Community Member

Ahhhh! Factory reset and MANUAL SETUP solved this problem for me. 

themawchine
Community Member

Even though both of mine were brand new I still had to factory reset and set it up a second time in order for the remote to work. I would have thought that brand new would be factory reset.

Factory reset helped for me.

ewkeks
Community Member

I got the same issue as everyone else...

iRdMoose
Community Member

Running through the factory reset on both of my Chromecasts solved the issue and allowed the IR settings app to run. However, one of them got stuck during the factory reset on pairing the remote and it took a few tries of unplugging power and plugging it back in to get it to continue and complete the setup.

Blountbassey
Community Member

Same issue here. New 4k Chromecast and it won't let me set up the remote for my receiver or tv

dforeman777
Community Member

Same issue on one brand new 4k Chromecast. It works fine on my HD Chromecast.

The worst part is this killed any opportunity to switch my wife away from Apple TV.

FastThenLeft
Community Member

Same issue as everyone else! I press Add device > TV and it takes me straight back to the set up remote buttons page. Brand new Chromecast 4K (April 9, 2024). Am I going to regret going with Google yet again?

Jodyschoultz
Community Member

Count me in, four new Chromecast 4k, and one old one. Only the old one works, but there's nothing to select on either of the four new ones. Tried resetting chromecasts, tried resetting remotes, done all resets and updates, tried pairing different remotes, even bought a spare remote for the old one to try. None of the 4k's will let me pair my remote with the tv's no matter which remote or chromecast 4k I try.

Add device --> select device --> choose tv, soundbar or AV receiver --> it just takes me back to the start to Add device. Endless loop engaged!

Been having lots of trouble with my nest devices lately. Speakers, displays, doorbell, wifi pro, thermostat, cameras etc... I've just replaced all the cameras with reolink, and if I don't get a fix for this soon, I'll be moving everything else away from Google/Nest soon too! Their support is aweful!

Blountbassey
Community Member

I have to wonder if Google even monitors or cares about this issue...I want to give them the opportunity to reply but nothing yet.

spongybrick
Community Member

Same issue here - new Chromecast 4K, all updates applied, get spinning wheel for 1 second after pressing ‘Add Device’ > TV then nothing.

Just tried factory reset and set up again via Google Home app and it’s now working (LG TV)

J-Payne-26
Community Member

Me too, I just got the 4K today (16th April 2024) and I can't even get to the next menu where it'll display TV manufacturers. It thinks for a split second then returns to the previous menu. Can I return for a refund? This isn't ideal for me. 

I was having the same issues with both of my 4K's, and doing a factory reset "fixed" the issue with the menu. I know it's not ideal, and having to go through the excessively long setup process is annoying, but once I did, it worked flawlessly.

I nearly returned mine, but decided to keep it since the other alternative devices weren't as appealing to me. As always, your mileage may vary.

scose
Community Member

update the brand new dongle to the latest FW and if already installed just do a factory reset either way and remote setup will work afterwards. The reason? Because Google....

Gmoren
Community Member

I did a factory reset and by `:magic» it even added my Samsung TV without even having to touch anything. Just lost another hour of my life, but it works now