cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation/Routines 404 Error

JZulkeski
Community Member

UPDATED INFO 02/28/2024:

Information from this thread that I've learned with help from forum users and trial and error over the last few days and that Google has been zero help in fixing:

1. Automations in my Home app are somehow bound to another google account that I own.
  2. That account has no access to my home, or my routines (hence the 404 message).
  3. As proof of (2), I removed the account from my phone and instead of the 404 error when I try to edit or add routines, the home app asks me to authenticate my secondary account. 
  4. The only workaround that allows me to access my routines at all was given by user @5559175 is to use an incognito mode browser session and go to https://assistant.google.com/settings/routines and log in using my primary account. I can then edit the routine.

ORIGINAL POST:

I have an issue that I've tried to wait to self-resolve and it won't, so I've atempted to fix it on my own and that doesn't work either. The issue is that when I try to load an automation to edit it (Google Home App > Automation tab > tap existing automation), I get a 404 error page. It's non-descript. It says "that's all we know". 

To date to try and fix this, I've:

1. stopped the app, cleared cache, tried again. 
  2. stopped the app, cleared DATA, uninstalled the app, rebooted phone, reinstalled, tried again.
  3. added a new user with manager permissions, no dice, my automations don't show up  under that user.
  4. deleted my user from the new user, then readded my user (the detrimental side of this was that it blew away all the NEST devices in my account which I'll re-add after I figure this out)
  5. Navigated to setup > assistant > routines and tried editing from there
  6. Opened up a support ticket with Google. This was the most useless option so far. They are the most worthless help, on the same level with calling Comcast support. Thanks for reading your script to me, I'll move on now. 

Nothing I've tried has fixed this.  I may have tried other solutions, but I forget and am super frustrated right now from talking to Google "support". 

All my automations show up. I can edit shared automations. My personal automations all generate that 404 error screen. Can anyone give me actual constructive input and help me resolve this with anything I haven't thought of? I CAN edit the automations from another home user's handset, just not the new one I added.  Also, playing (or running) the automation from the automations tab WORKS, so the automations definitely exists. 

2 Recommended AnswerS

Community Member

I have a similar issue. 

On my Pixel 8 I have 2 different Google accounts signed in, but only one of them is associated with "Home" and there is a household configured with rooms and devices set up correctly.

Recently when I try to edit an existing household routine I get a 404 error.

Additionally, if I try to add a new automation routine, behaviour is strange. I make sure I have first selected in the top right corner the correct Google account which is already associated with Home/the configured household/devices, then it may either ask me to set an address first, produce another "loading" error, or if it doesn't do either of those it will eventually say there are no devices available that can play audio.

Now what I think is happening is that despite having the correct account selected which is associated with Home/the household, when I try to edit existing or create a new routine, it is instead by itself under the hood selecting my *other* Google account which is not setup for Home, and therefore the existing automations are not present there (hence the 404), no household is configured (hence asking for the address) and there are indeed no devices available either to play audio (as they are all associated under the *other* Google account).

My workaround is simply to visit https://assistant.google.com/settings/routines in an incognito tab of Chrome, sign in with the correct account, which lets me edit the existing routines perfectly fine and add new ones without errors, even asking them to play audio on any associated device which are all selectable. These routines still show up under the Home app perfectly fine and work (but cannot be edited in the Home app directly without various errors).

The Home app is essentially broken for me right now for automation/routine editing/creation and clearing data/uninstalling/reinstalling does not fix it and using a browser is a workaround.

View Recommended Answer in original post

So now I'm certain that it is related to having a secondary account on the phone. I removed the other account from my phone, uninstalled the home app after clearing all its data, restarted the phone, then reinstalled the app and tried it again. When I go to edit the automation in the home app now it tries to authenticate to the secondary account when I click on any personal automation to edit it. 

At least that mystery is solved. I really doubt anyone from Google will stop to reply here. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Community Member

I have a similar issue. 

On my Pixel 8 I have 2 different Google accounts signed in, but only one of them is associated with "Home" and there is a household configured with rooms and devices set up correctly.

Recently when I try to edit an existing household routine I get a 404 error.

Additionally, if I try to add a new automation routine, behaviour is strange. I make sure I have first selected in the top right corner the correct Google account which is already associated with Home/the configured household/devices, then it may either ask me to set an address first, produce another "loading" error, or if it doesn't do either of those it will eventually say there are no devices available that can play audio.

Now what I think is happening is that despite having the correct account selected which is associated with Home/the household, when I try to edit existing or create a new routine, it is instead by itself under the hood selecting my *other* Google account which is not setup for Home, and therefore the existing automations are not present there (hence the 404), no household is configured (hence asking for the address) and there are indeed no devices available either to play audio (as they are all associated under the *other* Google account).

My workaround is simply to visit https://assistant.google.com/settings/routines in an incognito tab of Chrome, sign in with the correct account, which lets me edit the existing routines perfectly fine and add new ones without errors, even asking them to play audio on any associated device which are all selectable. These routines still show up under the Home app perfectly fine and work (but cannot be edited in the Home app directly without various errors).

The Home app is essentially broken for me right now for automation/routine editing/creation and clearing data/uninstalling/reinstalling does not fix it and using a browser is a workaround.

Well what do you know? This is the kind of thinking I needed and... It works! I don't need the other account on my phone so I'll try removing that and report back to this thread.

Community Member

No worries! Interesting that this involves multiple accounts in both yours and my case. I have had this set up in this way for quite some time all working.

A couple of weeks ago I disabled a routine all fine but just went to re-enable it yesterday when I encountered the issue. I even tried installing the previous 2 builds of the Home APK separately to no avail so I can only assume this is a server-side issue common to all versions.

Having to use the browser workaround is not acceptable in my opinion. I just stumbled upon that URL from another support thread either here, on the Assistant community or Reddit, but I forget which now. Being technically minded it's not a difficult workaround per se but it's utterly terrible user experience when the app just breaks hard like this.

This 404 automation/routine issue has been cropping up repeatedly over the years it seems with no definitive solution.

I'd be interested in hearing from a Google rep if it's an acknowledged problem and what is being done to resolve it for the app. 

So now I'm certain that it is related to having a secondary account on the phone. I removed the other account from my phone, uninstalled the home app after clearing all its data, restarted the phone, then reinstalled the app and tried it again. When I go to edit the automation in the home app now it tries to authenticate to the secondary account when I click on any personal automation to edit it. 

At least that mystery is solved. I really doubt anyone from Google will stop to reply here. 

And today it suddenly works. I can edit/add/delete automations. Interested if it now works for you too?

ii8206
Community Member

I have solved the issuse by unlink the 3 party services in setting and relink it back. The automations 404 problem was fixed and everything resumed, so please try my solution. Good luck.

Community Member

Yep this worked for me too. Thanks!

I have "Hive" linked to my Google Home account used to control a WiFi power outlet. Just unlinking did not resolve it by itself, I had to relink it back completely but now I can edit existing/create new automation routines directly in the Home app once again (and have 2 accounts signed in on my phone) without having to use the URL I mentioned earlier.

Leeford
Community Member

I have a similar issue and using the recommended solution to log in to https://assistant.google.com/settings/routines allowed me to open the automation that was getting the 404 error and "deactivate" it.  That was very helpful.

Now, when I open the google home app on my pixel 6 Pro, that particular automation shows as "deactivated", but I still get the 404 if I click on it to edit.  I'd rather delete it from my account so that it doesn't take up realestate on my screen, but I'm hoping that this will stop my google mini from telling me that "a routine didn't run" at every scheduled time that was in that routine.  My fingers are crossed.  I should know if it worked later today.

In my case, I think that the google mini is still linked to a google home that I thought was deleted, but recently found that I had other devices still linked to it and they also were not working correctly, such as my roku devices.  I don't know how to get rid of the other google home that was created on my personal google account that these were linked to in addition to being linked to the new one that we use.

If anyone has any information about how to remove an old google home that is no longer being used, I'd appreciate the steps on how to do that.

Thanks in advance.

ii8206
Community Member

I suggest that you can try to unlink and relink those 3rd parties service. pls go to Google Home setting (next to activity at the bottom). the unlink & relink under Services