cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discontinuing calling between home devices as of feb 2024?

Camcom
Community Member

Hub and mIni device to device calling DISCONTINUED?? Answers please!

Life has been great and super convenient... We have Google minis , and hubs set up in most parts of the house or bedrooms.  To simplify communication, we use them for Calling from room to room as in an intercom system. My Google mini announced that in February 2024 the device to device calling will be discontinued and only broadcast ability would be available. I Haven't been able to find any information to expand upon this.  Firstly, I am incredibly disappointed. This is a step backwards in technology and accessability features that google Prides itself in. Secondly i'm incredibly annoyed. I can't find any information about This Feature change. Does anyone have any information?

49 REPLIES 49

Sredo
Community Member

I bought it also primary for that purpose and now is all lost. Broadcast is too bad. I live in not english speaking country and google broadcast my message in our language on tens attempt. It is so anoying. I hate google for that. I want to repay for that devices whitch I bought for this purpose. 😞 :-((((((((((

MattJCar
Community Member

And I guess we’re all just going to be ignored… people always call out Apple of “dirty tricks” but Google has taken the cake with this one… thousands of € worth of devices down the drain in a single move with 0 explanation… 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Artee60
Community Member

I can't believe this feature is being removed! There must be millions of nest home users who use this feature all the time. Replacing it with a crude broadcast option just does not cut it! The only alternative is to go back to calling my kids phones. Are Google slowly pulling out of this market? 

davesib
Community Member

Does anyone know what the point of this forum is?

It appears to be a genuine Google site, but clearly Google doesn't give a toss about its customer's views and doesn't even have the decency to explain its actions.

I doubt they even employ anyone to read these comments - they're all too busy sitting round on beanbags and playing table tennis in their trendy London office to care about the people who have bought their products.

Googl-UR-A-FOOL
Community Member

Google is a FOOL for removing a very useful feature from their product. If you are trying to win more users to your platform, this is not the way to do it. Like many users have said. It was such a valuable feature to be able to contact the children while away from home to talk to them or remind them of something they need to do. I have been a google user for years and refuse to buy anything from Apple because google gives me the choice to choose a phone that I like. This is not the way to keep your customers 

Google is not trying to win more users. Google wants Home gone, and losing users by attrition before they finally ole' yeller the platform is exactly the goal.

topaxx
Community Member

I just tested Amazon Alexa for a few days now. It so much better in so many ways.

I just realize why Google ist giving up on this.

Dawid_D
Community Member

Could you be so kind and enlighten me as to why Google is giving up on this? I would like to understand.

Max84
Community Member

Hi,

Like topaxx I switched to Amazon Alexa just because I need device to device calling. Well, the service is much better with Echo Show devices  (you have video calling and drop in functions). Regarding the smart assistant Alexa is much better understanding commands. The only down side is the luck of native YouTube client, but there is built-in browser. In my opinion, Google is far behind Amazon in this market segment (the software part) and that is why they are giving up this functionality. As all we can see they didn't bother to remove "Room calling" button from the communicate menu of the displays. The calling service is still named "Duo" in the menus so the logical conclusion for me is that they are ditching the support of Nest displays and other devices.

skeptikal
Community Member

The downside is having to re-spend "all the money" to replace all of the not-old equipment that's already purchased via Google.
Yes, I'm sure Alexa works, but this is still nothing but a burn from Google.  A very expensive burn.