cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google assistant and Harmony remote control problems

disco_stu
Community Member

I have a Logitech Harmony remote control which supports integration with Google Assistant.  The Harmony shows up as a remote control in the Google home app and supports commands that allows me to control AV devices.

I also have a Nest Audio and a Pixel phone.

With the Harmony device, I should be able to do commands like:

• Turn up the TV --> Assistant should tell the Harmony remote control to increase the volume on the TV
  • Increase the volume on the TV --> Assistant should tell the Harmony remote to increase the volume on the TV
  • Increase the TV volume by 5 --> Assistant should tell the Harmony remote control to increase the volume 5 times
  • Change the TV to channel 50 --> Assistant should tell the Harmony remote control to change the TV to channel 50

Recently all of these commands stopped working. 

If I let the Nest Audio respond to the commands, here's the following result:

• Turn up the TV --> Assistant says "Sorry I don't understand"
  • Increase the volume on the TV --> Assistant turns it's own volume up rather than telling harmony to turn up the volume on the TV
  • Increase the TV volume by 5 --> Assistant "Sorry I didn't understand"
  • Change the TV to channel 50 --> Assistant "OK Playing 50 on the TV.  Sorry something went wrong and I'm unable to control your home device"

On my phone, here are the results:

• Turn up the TV --> Assistant turns up the media volume on my phone. 
  • Increase the volume on the TV --> Assistant turns up the media volume on my phone. 
  • Increase the TV volume by 5 --> Assistant shows a message "Sorry I didn't understand"
  • Change the TV to channel 50 --> Assistant says "Here's 50 on youtube", then plays a 50 cent music video on youtube (the video varies but is always related to the channel number I asked for)

I contacted Google support and they have asked me to reset the Nest Audio, unlink and relink my Harmony device, move the Harmony device to a different room and even setup a new "home" in the Google Home app.  Nothing has fixed the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve the problem?  Does anyone have any ideas to escalate the issue with Google?

I just want the devices to work as intended.

80 REPLIES 80

Techdood
Community Member

This is happening with my devices as well, worked perfect for years.

Something changed this past week.

Please fix! Hope it doesn't have anything to do with the Sonos Speaker Group lawsuit loss!!

Danielo
Community Member

Alexa works perfectly. Maybe time to change

Atomsk
Community Member

Started working again. Time to not advertise other platforms

Moboy
Community Member

No it doesn't. Still broken.

Danielo
Community Member

Just tried Google. Nope, not working. The other guy works perfectly. Sorry.

Danielo
Community Member

Don’t get me wrong. I am totally in the Google echo system. I own 1 Google Home, 2 display hubs, 3 minis, 1 Lenovo clock, Nest Cameras and thermostat but when things don’t work it gets you to look elsewhere. I was in the retail business for a long time and I know that when service sucks you lose customers. By the way you can also have a choice of wake words which I found strange since Google still doesn’t offer it!

cqjames
Community Member

Same issue here that just started happening. If I ask Google to turn down the TV it just turns down the volume on the nest hub that I'm taking to. Previously it would have the Harmony hub turn down the TV volume.

colinbsandy
Community Member

same issue here. Volume command doesn't work - but turning on/off, mute/unmute,. wotk, but not volue up or down. 😞

Doesn’t change channels either

Moboy
Community Member

Exactly the same situation here. I hope someone replies with the answer. 

disco_stu
Community Member

I'm part of the Google 12L beta as well.  I have reported the issue to google via the beta program.  Hopefully they can fix it on all devices.

Moboy
Community Member

Thanks Stu

Let's hope so. 

Is their any update on this? I was actually having no issues with this until I upgraded my Gen 1 hub with a Gen 2 hub. Swapped them back and it’s working again…I am having an issue of with the “change channel to” command (it try’s to play stuff on YouTube instead of going through my Harmony Hub commands). This is happening on the gen 1 and gen 2 hub. 

I called them today. They told me it's escalated to a senior support person. I told them I"m going to call them every few days until it's fixed.
The more people who report the problem, the faster it might be fixed.  Call Google support and get your support case open.  Yes it's painful because they won't understand what a "harmony" is, but I think we all need to report the issue officially to put pressure on them.

Moboy
Community Member

Great work. This issue is so annoying. What's the phone number? 

disco_stu
Community Member

It depends on country probably.  Best to check the Google Nest site and find the number.

Moboy
Community Member

Which number did you dial and which country is that from?

disco_stu
Community Member

1-############ Canada

It won't let me post pone numbers lol  1   -   8   5   5   -   9   7   1  -  9   1   2   1

Totally useless. I am trying to engage in a conversation over their Twitter support and they don’t even respond!

Same thing is happening on mine..

A month later and it still doesn’t work. Sorry Stu but …..

colinbsandy
Community Member

Bit of experimenting today and found:

'Hey google, as harmony to increase volume on TV'

results in:

TV volume increases again, but google responds with 'Sorry, Harmony isn't responding right now. Please try again soon'

then a bit later, started getting response from Harmony saying it was increasing the volume (like the old Harmony (Red) did - but I unlinked that when Harmony (blue) became available. Something wierd happening between Google & Logitech/Harmony

Same thing is happening on my devices...

Lior98
Community Member

Same situation here.

Logitech harmony

Google nest audio

Actually i am thinking to replace the logitech harmony to another device 

But i dont find any something that better then harmony

Danielo
Community Member

Not a Harmony’s issue. It works just fine with something else giving commands

Jaszy
Community Member

Logitech Harmony

Google Home mini

Same situation.

Any update or solution?

Thx!

JasW
Community Member

I have the same/similar situation. I have four (4) Harmony Hubs in the house controlling 4 different TVs (2 of which have home entertainment systems attached). I have a half-dozen Minis, 2 Home speakers, a Home Hub Max, and and Home Hub, all of which have been able to control Harmony with voice commands for over 3 years now without problem.

It all changed around two weeks ago. I had "favorite" channels assigned within Harmony, so I used to be able to tell Home, "Switch the Family TV to CNN" or "Switch the Bedroom TV to ESPN," and the channel would change.  Or if a channel wasn't assigned as a favorite, I could simply say "Switch the Family TV to channel 419." It would always work. Now it doesn't. Home simply replies, "Sorry, I can't find any devices in your home that play video" or "Sorry, I can't find any devices in your home that can play that," adding, "You might want to check the device settings in the Google Home app."

Unlike some others here, I can still say, "Increase the volume on the Family TV," and the volume will increase. However, I used to also be able to say "Turn up the volume on the Family TV." That no longer works; instead, like others here, the Home device that responds simply turns its own volume up.

This is quite clearly a Google-created problem and not a Harmony problem. Whatever tinkering was done 2-3 weeks ago—and there is no doubt whatsoever that some kind of tinkering was done by Google—needs to be revisited and fixed. I'm putting in a support request and will pursue it as far as I can.   

Moboy
Community Member

You're very right. However just to elaborate on one point you made. You state that you can say "Increase the volume on the Family TV". This only turns it up one unit. We used to be able to say "Increase the volume on the Family TV by 15%" for example and it would do just that.

Fix the Harmony API guys. You know you tinkered with it.

JasW
Community Member

Percentage (and certainly volume numbers) didn't work too well because audio comes through a Denon receiver, which has volume units in increments of 0.5. (It's been a good while since I'd last tried percentage, so I can't remember exactly what happens.) When I tell Home to simply increase the volume, the Denon receiver increases the volume by 7 of those 0.5 increments, e.g., from 52.5 to 56.0. That's usually fine.

If I know I'll need a greater adjustment, I used to just tack on an additional, slightly different command, "and turn up the volume on the Family TV," but that command no longer works. (And you can't tack on a second and identical "increase the volume" command because Google just ignores it.) 

disco_stu
Community Member

Call/message google and get your support ticket open.  The more tickets they get about this, the more likely they will fix it. 

JasW
Community Member

Just got off the phone with them. First level support put me on hold to check for other support cases, then put me on hold again to talk to senior support. I was then told that they are aware of the problem, and that the responsible software engineers are working on a permanent fix, which they will send OTA once they have it. 

Edit: He also suggest contacting Logitech to make them aware of the problem. Also to send feedback directly through a Home speaker. ("Hey, Google, send feedback"). That last is easy, so you can do it a number of times just to make sure they get the message. 

disco_stu
Community Member

Great.  On my call they did not admit it was a problem.  So that's progress!

JasW
Community Member

Relative progress this morning—I can now change channels to Favorites as I used to (i.e., "Switch the Family TV to CNN").

I still can't change by channel number, though. I get a different response when I say, e.g., "Switch the Family TV to channel 403"—Home initially responds, "OK, switching the Family TV to channel 403," and then says, "Sorry, something went wrong, and I'm unable to control your Home device."

And the volume command problem, at least for me saying "turn up" instead of "increase" the volume, remains. 

What's the phone number?

colinbsandy
Community Member

JasW, can I contact you direct. I have 2 Harmony devices, and have had real issues in setting Google Home up to control both - when I link to Harmony it only allows me to select 1 device (so have selected the 1 I use most), but want to control both. Love to understands how to setup yo control both. (Got nest Hib max, nest hub, 2 by G. Home, 3 G Home mini)

In order to set up 2 Harmony devices on Google assistant you need to create a second account for your Logitech Harmony. In my case I created a Logitech account in my name and one in my wife’s name. You also need two  accounts in your Google assistant. I then linked my Logitech Harmony account to my Google account. I then switched the account in Google to my wife’s and was able to link her account to Logitech using her credentials. A little complicated but it worked fine. That is the only way you can link 2 Harmonys to Google assistant. You can pm directly.

If you search the web you will find instructions on how to do it.

JasW
Community Member

As was mentioned, you need separate Logitech accounts for each Hub. The 4 Hubs I have are linked to my, my wife's, and my two kids' accounts. I originally had to set them up on everyone's individual phone. Since I set them up, though, Logi transitioned to Google login accounts, so that's what I use now.