cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Let's discuss: Expanding chimes for in-room smart home devices

KiiFromGoogle
Community Manager (Admin)

We recently shared that we're expanding the use of chimes to acknowledge smart home commands to control devices in the same room. You can read more about this in our community blog.

If you've gotten a chance to try this, we want to know: What do you think? We’d love to hear all the details about how you’ve used chimes and pass along your feedback on the experience.

1 Recommended Answer

KiiFromGoogle

Thanks for the discussion here! It sounds like this is a step in the right direction, and that many of you are interested in even more use cases for chimes and more flexibility in acknowledgements. I'll be sharing this thread with the right teams so that they can continue to make improvements based on community feedback.

Don't forget, you can share feedback with us at anytime through your devices or the Google home app. Learn more here: Share feedback about Google Nest.

While this thread is now closed, we invite you to start a new post.

View Recommended Answer in original post

44 REPLIES 44

Hjuwhskel4k
Community Member

Yet another thing that drives me absolutely nuts with this thing... The noise they added a couple years ago for reminders. Nothing worse than being on a conference call and hearing dun-dah-dun..... Dun-dah-dun....... I have a reminder for you. It literally takes about 10 seconds and is insanely loud. I do have the option to turn these off but then I have to turn off all alarms.

I can't reiterate enough how much I detest the amount of talking this thing does. 

Hjuwhskel4k
Community Member

Again, seems like such an easy fix, it's baffling to me. It's not like we're asking it to do more, talk more, etc., things that seem like they'd be difficult to add. We're just asking it to stop talking so much and remove verbal confirmations. Am I over simplifying this??

If I have to be told that it's playing my one-and-only playlist on "YouTube Music" one more time.... 

smithh032772
Community Member

Chimes sounds good in theory and coils be helpful but I would love to be able to say, okay Google, turn off kitchen and living room. They both are separate rooms, smart connected devices in each room and would love to turn off both rooms at the same time. Okay, I can make a rule for that in Google Home but would love Google to listen to the use of the word, and, so I can do multiple actions

Hjuwhskel4k
Community Member

Nice article from the Verge, calling out Google for this ridiculous feature. They even offer a simple solution to the problem at the end of the article.  

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/21/23692794/google-nest-smart-speaker-new-chime-feature

KiiFromGoogle

Thanks for the discussion here! It sounds like this is a step in the right direction, and that many of you are interested in even more use cases for chimes and more flexibility in acknowledgements. I'll be sharing this thread with the right teams so that they can continue to make improvements based on community feedback.

Don't forget, you can share feedback with us at anytime through your devices or the Google home app. Learn more here: Share feedback about Google Nest.

While this thread is now closed, we invite you to start a new post.