cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yale lock privacy mode and dead batteries

Whokohan
Community Member

Ive been out of town for an extended period of time, and had a friend check in on my house from time to time with guest access on the Nest lock and had no problems.

They had to go out if town for a short while and while they were away, the batteries died on the lock, no problem, I sent them the 9v battery instructions.

However, today after a few unlock attempts, by all accounts it seems like they somehow enabled privacy mode from the keypad side of the lock. Is there a way at all to disable this with the lock itself out of power? We tried holding the battery on for an extended period of time to see if it can charge just enough for me to control via the app remotely with no luck.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you for your input in advance.

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Ah I see. If they press the Yale button on the lock or touch their palm to the keypad, if Privacy Mode is enabled, they'll hear “Please try again at another time” and won’t be able to enter a passcode. Assuming you're right and privacy mode was enabled, it can only be turned off with the Nest app, so the lock will need to be powered and connected to Wi-Fi and the internet to get your command to turn off privacy mode unfortunately.

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If the lock is out of power, you won't be able to control it with the app. You can try disabling it on the lock. See the "How to turn privacy mode on or off your lock" steps linked below.

How to use Privacy Mode on the Nest × Yale Lock - Google Nest Help

Whokohan
Community Member

Thanks, but no one is inside the house, it's not possible to access to unit from the inside.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Ah I see. If they press the Yale button on the lock or touch their palm to the keypad, if Privacy Mode is enabled, they'll hear “Please try again at another time” and won’t be able to enter a passcode. Assuming you're right and privacy mode was enabled, it can only be turned off with the Nest app, so the lock will need to be powered and connected to Wi-Fi and the internet to get your command to turn off privacy mode unfortunately.

Bablexx
Community Member

Turn off my power saving mode automatically