cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google screws me yet again. Camera was damaged by lightning, now I have to upgrade to "new" Aware?

GoogleRuinsNest
Community Member

My outdoor camera was damaged by lightning. I purchased a replacement on ebay. I cannot add it to my old nest aware sub even though it currently has "no device" assigned to it after I removed the damaged camera.

Chat told me to kick rocks, and buy the second gen Nest Aware.  They aren't selling 1st gen Aware subs anymore.  This is not even relevant as I am currently paying for two legacy subs and just need the second sub reassigned to the replacement camera and the damaged one removed.

F*** you, google. Once again. F*** you.

5 REPLIES 5

GoogleRuinsNest
Community Member

This is the final nail in the coffin. I am officially switching to Ubiquiti.  

As I said before, I was a NEST customer. GOOGLE came in and RUINED IT ALL.  ANTI-CONSUMER, GREEDY LITTLE A**HOLES CALLED GOOGLE.  If you think I'm going to give you ANY MORE money than I the absolute BARE MINIMUM, YOU ARE SORELY MISTAKEN.

HAPPY F*CKING TRAILS, GOOGLE.

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@GoogleRuinsNest 

I guess you're right.

I was just going to suggest how you could still buy a 1st gen Nest Aware subscription, and stumbled upon this new "Note" on the page below:

"Note: As of July 13, 2023, Google will no longer sell new subscriptions of 1st gen Nest Aware. Any 1st gen subscriptions that you currently have will continue to renew."

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9233159

And elsewhere they say you cannot switch a 1st gen Nest Aware subscription from one camera to another.

Note, however, that a Nest Aware Plus subscription, which we have, costs $120 per year, covers ALL of your cameras and doorbells, and provides somewhat different coverage: 10 days 24/7 video history and 60 days event video history. I don't know how that compares to what you're paying for your legacy subscriptions.

I was paying $80 for two cameras with 5 day 24/7 recording.  I do NOT need to pay $120 since I only need two cameras monitored.  10 day history is also complete overkill.  And only the $120 a year plan has 24/7 recording? No thanks.

At this point Ubiquiti gives me everything I need WITHOUT sticking their privacy-infiltrating fingers in my account and I can only hope and pray some giant data-meddling corporation doesn't buy them out too.

GoogleRuinsNest
Community Member

Just found out about Wyze and Reolink. Now I'm glad Google told me to kick rocks. They're old news now.

@GoogleRuinsNest 

I'm not familiar with Wyze cameras. I hope that works for you.

By way of comparison, there's also the Nest Aware subscription for 30 days of event video history for $60/year, covering all cameras in the same Google Nest "home".