cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Linking nest app with google home is broken

NewAgeRetroHipi
Community Member

I recently moved to a new home and added some new Google home compatible devices.  In this process I created a second Google home (not realizing that I already had one and that I should change the address and connect everything to it).  What I decided to do was delete my old home and add the one device to the new home.  This I where the issue comes in.  I have an older nest thermostat that is working great through the nest app, but I am unable to link my nest account to my Google home.  The page to do so asks for nest credentials and if you try to login through your Google account it just gives a error saying that this app is not authorized to access Google.

So the issue = nest account linking (through the android Google home app) is broken.  Does anyone have a solution?

1 Recommended Answer

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@NewAgeRetroHipi 

You don't "link" the Google Nest app to the Google Home app. If you log into both apps with the same Google (gmail) account, and have the same Google Nest "home/structure" selected in each app, you should automatically see the same Google Nest devices in both.

Recently numerous customers in this forum have been reporting that the thermostat they installed in the Google Nest app, which should automatically appear in the Google Home app, is not shown there.

Some customers have discovered they had not put the thermostat in a "room" in the Google Nest app, and once they did that, it appeared in the Google Home app.

Many other customers in this forum have had success with this: in the Google Nest app, they create a temporary second Google Nest "home/structure", then they go to that Google Nest "home/structure" in the Google Home app and delete that empty temporary home. This action apparently forces the 2 apps to sync and the thermostat then appears in the Google Home app.

View Recommended Answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@NewAgeRetroHipi 

You don't "link" the Google Nest app to the Google Home app. If you log into both apps with the same Google (gmail) account, and have the same Google Nest "home/structure" selected in each app, you should automatically see the same Google Nest devices in both.

Recently numerous customers in this forum have been reporting that the thermostat they installed in the Google Nest app, which should automatically appear in the Google Home app, is not shown there.

Some customers have discovered they had not put the thermostat in a "room" in the Google Nest app, and once they did that, it appeared in the Google Home app.

Many other customers in this forum have had success with this: in the Google Nest app, they create a temporary second Google Nest "home/structure", then they go to that Google Nest "home/structure" in the Google Home app and delete that empty temporary home. This action apparently forces the 2 apps to sync and the thermostat then appears in the Google Home app.

NewAgeRetroHipi
Community Member

Thank you!  It wasn't showing up so I just changed the name of the room it was in on the nest app and poof!  I think just that change refreshed something to get it to show up.

@NewAgeRetroHipi 

Google Nest must have changed something recently, because there has been a while string of reports like this.

Hey folks, 

We appreciate your help here, MplsCustomer.
NewAgeRetroHipi, I wanted to follow up and see if you are still in need of any help. Please let me know if you are still having any concerns or questions from here, as I would be happy to take a closer look and assist you further.

Thanks,
Mel

Thank you, I don't.  MplsCustomer solved my prolem.

Hey there NewAgeRetroHipi, 

Awesome — glad to hear that your issue is fixed. It looks like we can consider this one complete, so I will lock the thread shortly unless I can help out with anything else. 

Best, 
Mel