cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Adding a nest learning thermostat to Google Home

Mainely_Dave
Community Member

I have two homes with multiple thermostats, cameras and doorbells in each. Home 1 uses the Nest App, it is not migrated to a Google account.  Home 2 uses Google Home.  I’m adding a new Nest Learning Thermostat to Home 2.  To install I added it to my Nest account attaching it to a second home. The thermostat works fine in Nest and is on my local Wi-Fi in Home 2. I then went to the Google Home app and selected add a device, works with Google, and select Nest.

I get prompted to log in to my Nest account and allow Google access. When I click allow I get an error..please try again.  Google Home appears to be using “Works with Nest” which I understand is discontinued.  

How do I install the Nest Learning Thermostat into Home 2s Google Home?

3 REPLIES 3

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You don't use those steps to add those thermostat models to the Google Home app. 

When you install the Nest Learning Thermostat or the Nest Thermostat E in the Nest app, the thermostat should automatically appear in the Google Home app if you’re using the same account in both apps, using the same home structure, and have assigned the thermostat to a room in the Nest app. If any of that isn’t true, you’ll need to go ahead and fix those issues to see if you need to try the steps below at all.

Assuming all of the above is true. try these steps:

1. Open the Nest app and follow the “Create another home in the Nest app” steps linked below to create a new temporary home structure:
    Manage homes and products with the Nest app - Google Nest Help
  2. Open the Google Home app, find and delete the home structure you just created by following the “Delete a home” steps linked below:
    Share a home and devices in the Google Home app - Google Nest Help

This forces the two apps to sync and your thermostat should now appear in the Google Home app.

Thanks David.  I'm using the same email address for both homes but Home 1, which has been in Nest for several years, is still the Legacy Nest App / Nest Account. I have not migrated to a Google Account there. Home 2, where I'm using Google Home, started as a Google account.

I have Home 2 in both the Nest Account (new Learning Thermostat) and Google Home (doorbell, camera, display) with the same address. Home 1 is only in the Nest Account.

Is the issue I need to migrate my original Nest Account to Google before I can move my new Learning Thermostat from Nest to Google Home?

I tried adding a temp new home to the Nest Account...I see nothing in Google Home. I also tried changing the room name in the Nest account to a Custom name with the same result.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

In that case, yes, you'd need to migrate your Nest account to a Google account for that to work with the Google Home app.

FAQs about accounts for the Nest app - Google Nest Help