cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C wire and internal backup batteries

Sierreone
Community Member

Does the nest thermostats have a internal backup battery as well as the AAA external batteries. Also, do I need a C wire

2 Recommended AnswerS

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Yes thermostat models which are powered by batteries that can be changed out when they are dead, do not have built-in back up batteries. However, if you go ahead and use a C wire, you will cause those batteries to last longer as the main power for the thermostats control and operation will come from the HVAC equipment transformer. 

AC Cooling Wizar

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

View Recommended Answer in original post

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The man that does your cleaning/inspection is wrong. The common from the transformer does go out to the condensing unit and does go to the indoor blower control. However, you need only connect to the power common at the indoor unit. 
When I get a free moment, I will draw this up for you. 

AC Cooling Wizard

If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

View Recommended Answer in original post

31 REPLIES 31

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Yes thermostat models which are powered by batteries that can be changed out when they are dead, do not have built-in back up batteries. However, if you go ahead and use a C wire, you will cause those batteries to last longer as the main power for the thermostats control and operation will come from the HVAC equipment transformer. 

AC Cooling Wizar

My nest thermostat only has 2 AAA batteries for power with no internal backup batteries and and no C wire connected. I’m concern about the batteries failing when I’m not there and the air conditioner not coming on. I have a question regarding the use of a C wire. I live in a condo, my blower unit is location in the ceiling of condo but the rest of unit in on the building roof about 50 feet away. My air conditioning guy said he would have to run a C wire from both piece of equipment at a huge cost.  Is there any other methods I could use. I have read a few methods like adding a 24 volt transformer C wire adapter or using green (fan) wire. Any advice or links to websites with solutions that wouldn’t damage the air conditioner or thermostat would be greatly appreciate.

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Sierreone , can you get a picture of your thermostat so I can see the wires that are currently coming to it and I’m curious to know if there any conductors that are tucked behind the wall that are still available for use.

AC Cooling Wizard

This was the old thermostat 

D17D30EF-280F-4EBB-82BA-95485B0E5C58.jpeg

 and this is the new Nest thermostat 

59C3AAA5-DD33-46E0-974E-8C77C50DBCB4.jpeg

From what I can see there are no other wires

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The Nest Learning Thermostat has the ability to use a sort of back door to reach the Power Common. However the basic Nest thermostat you purchsed does not have that ability.  You can use a Nest Power Connector.  This requires you update the software on the Nest Thermostat, then installs the Nest Power Connector. 

AC Cooling Wizard

Ok, thanks for your feedback. As a final thought, if I open up the panel on my air unit and find there is a C terminal available on the circuit board would this be a 24v C wire connection I could run a single line to my thermostat? 

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Sierreone , if you follow the thermostat cable where it enters the air handler cabinet, you might find a control board. On the control board you find C terminal. If you haven’t, unused conductor, say the blue one, attached it to the sea terminal and the HVAC equipment, and then attached the blue wire to the sea terminal in the thermostat base. 

AC Cooling Wizard

First of all I’d like to thanks you for your time and patience.

I looked at my system and I cannot access the control panel, also notice the wire going to the thermostat is a combination of wires from the unit in the ceiling and unit on roof.  This whole thing started because of a note I noticed when I look at the device in Google home app

AC64E7E9-D9A9-41F4-9757-C5EB3BCCD174.jpeg

 when I installed the nest thermostats I got not errors or messages saying I need a C wire, is this note more of a generic comment. The thermostat has been running fine with no issues for over a month and have not seen any warnings on functionality or batteries. One of my other concerns was a comment I read online (grain of salt, I known) indicating that there may be an issue with the AAA batteries draining faster due to no C-wire, can this happen? In your opinion did I buy the wrong thermostat, should I buy a different model.

By the way, my old thermostat didn’t have a C-wire and worked perfectly for 8 years

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Sierreone , your old thermostat is most likely a mechanical thermostat and not a digital or micro-switching thermostat.  Can you post a picture of the indoor unit? You live in a condo correct? The wires go from your thermostat to the indoor unit, and then in the indoor unit there’s a cross connection to the outdoor unit. 

The AC Cooling Wizard

The old one was digital 

555C73E9-000D-4542-826C-372D801C7846.jpeg

 here’s what I can see of the unit in the ceiling

15F91CF3-DEA5-4F27-9122-567F7D659206.jpeg

08B3F638-06C3-43F6-8EF3-1C569473C90D.jpeg

AE720541-44EE-44D1-BD38-FE8646D1495F.jpeg

Ok, thanks . I will try and open panel on Monday to see

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Sierreone , where the larger wires come out and are wire nut connected to the thermostat cable. Inside that cover is where the common wire off of the thermostat is going to be.  

AC Cooling Wizard

Hello, sorry for getting back to you so late. I opened up the electrical panel I showed you in the earlier pics, there is no control panel I can hook up a C wire to. As a note the system has been running fine with no issues or batteries errors for a couple of months. 
All my concerns stem from a comment I read online that indicated that in certain cases the Nest Thermostat AAA batteries can drain faster/completely in a short period of time if a C-wire is not connected. Is this true or is this a very rare case caused by other circumstances.

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

When you opened up the panel, did you find the step-down transformer? 

AC Cooling Wizard

Sierreone
Community Member

There was no step down transformer that l could see. There was only 4 or 5 electrical components mounted on the backplate in series with at least 4 wire connecting each one to the other

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Can you get the manufacturer and model number of that unit so I can look at the documentation. 

AC Cooling Wizard

This is all I can get access to, can’t seem to find original documents.

CBDB6C3B-C84B-4C48-B27A-973D7FF59281.jpeg

89FFCE42-0B88-46D3-BEA2-78EE70448FBD.jpeg

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

https://youtu.be/9lu1wNcMGAw?si=vysHjYCIjobDPd95

this video shows you the transformer,  locate the blue wire coming out of the transformer. This is your power common. 

AC Cooling Wizard

The video indicates high voltage and mentions the 208V blue wire. Is this a step down transformer and the volt coming out of the transformer is 24V (same as thermostat)

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Yes, the input is. 208/240VAC and the output is 24 VAC. 

AC Cooling Wizard

Morning, I took a look again at the transformer, see below for what I see.

transformer

A11FB21E-E5CF-425A-AF51-440D2A178E38.jpeg

wires coming out of housing

52FD58A2-3F12-4C01-9D5B-B0295960252D.jpeg

 There is another wire terminated but it looks purple and is hard to tell if it’s coming off the top of transformer 

F2C0B0F1-5AA5-4799-BF0D-8C7E649AFC38.jpeg

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Sierreone , the brown wire is the 24VAC common. 

AC Cooling Wizard

Below is the wiring I see

E593793D-E588-450E-B9A5-966B13D50A22.jpeg

 Not sure if I mentioned this before but the guy who does my inspection/cleaning of air system told me that the C wire must be run from both units (blower & condenser) based on the on the wiring of system.

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The man that does your cleaning/inspection is wrong. The common from the transformer does go out to the condensing unit and does go to the indoor blower control. However, you need only connect to the power common at the indoor unit. 
When I get a free moment, I will draw this up for you. 

AC Cooling Wizard

Ok, thanks

Hello, just thought I touch base and see if you had time to draw up a diagram for my C wire connection to thermostat, thanks

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Sierreone , I am sorry, been very busy. I will try to get this drawn up for you S soon as I am able. 

AC Cooling Wizard

Hello, are you available for a question. I did solve my C wire issue

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Ask me your specific question. 

AC Cooling Wizard 

Once a schedule is created for nest thermostat is will function with out wifi, correct 

Also to maintain a constant temperature of 79 degrees I created a schedule preset called CoolAway which is set to Cool mode with a temp of 79 start time 8:00 and assigned it to all 7 days, this will maintain a temp of 79 24/7 until I charge schedule, correct