cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Eco Mode in Newest Nest Thermostat

dcdttu
Community Member

The Nest thermometer preset schedule shows Eco mode coming on at 8:30am (scheduled in between 2 comfort modes).  Will it automatically change to Eco mode at that time?  I only want to use Eco mode when we are out of the house and I am not sure how to set that up.

I’m used to the learning models, so the schedule doesn’t make sense. 

1 Recommended Answer

sporfrog
Bronze
Bronze

In your case based on what you wrote, yes the Eco temperature will start at 8:30. If you want the temperature to automatically change to Eco using presence sensing, configure that. 

Way more info than you asked for:

Scheduling

To schedule a "Nest Thermostat" first configure preset temperatures wanted.

Example presets:

• Comfort - 68°F / 20°C
  • Sleep - 64°F / 18°C
  • Eco - 55°F / 13°C

Google Home -> Thermostat -> Settings -> Temperature preferences -> Temperature presets

Then set a schedule for when those presets start. Let's say you have a very simple schedule need.  Maybe you work from home or don't leave on a regular basis. You might have a schedule something like below for every day.

Schedule:

• 08:00 Comfort
  • 22:00 Sleep

Starting at 8 am set temp to 68. At 10 pm set temp to 64.

Or if it is common the house is empty during the day from 08:00 to 17:00 while at work the schedule might be something like this:

Schedule:

• 07:00 Comfort
  • 08:00 Eco
  • 17:00 Comfort

At 7am warm the house to 68 (comfort). When at work set the temp to 55 (eco) starting at 8am. When back home at 5pm set the temp to 68 (comfort). At night set the temp to 64 (sleep).

Google Home -> Thermostat -> Settings -> Schedules

Also use Eco manually when you want to hold the temp low for a long period of time.

Home/Away

With Home/Away and presence sensing configured, the Home routine runs the schedule. So, (based on the first example schedule) when at home the temp will be either 68 (comfort) or 64 (sleep) depending on time of day.  When away is detected the Away routine sets the temp to be 55 (eco).

You can use scheduling and/or presence sensing depending on your particular needs.

View Recommended Answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sporfrog
Bronze
Bronze

In your case based on what you wrote, yes the Eco temperature will start at 8:30. If you want the temperature to automatically change to Eco using presence sensing, configure that. 

Way more info than you asked for:

Scheduling

To schedule a "Nest Thermostat" first configure preset temperatures wanted.

Example presets:

• Comfort - 68°F / 20°C
  • Sleep - 64°F / 18°C
  • Eco - 55°F / 13°C

Google Home -> Thermostat -> Settings -> Temperature preferences -> Temperature presets

Then set a schedule for when those presets start. Let's say you have a very simple schedule need.  Maybe you work from home or don't leave on a regular basis. You might have a schedule something like below for every day.

Schedule:

• 08:00 Comfort

Starting at 8 am set temp to 68. At 10 pm set temp to 64.

Or if it is common the house is empty during the day from 08:00 to 17:00 while at work the schedule might be something like this:

Schedule:

• 07:00 Comfort
  • 08:00 Eco
  • 17:00 Comfort

At 7am warm the house to 68 (comfort). When at work set the temp to 55 (eco) starting at 8am. When back home at 5pm set the temp to 68 (comfort). At night set the temp to 64 (sleep).

Google Home -> Thermostat -> Settings -> Schedules

Also use Eco manually when you want to hold the temp low for a long period of time.

Home/Away

With Home/Away and presence sensing configured, the Home routine runs the schedule. So, (based on the first example schedule) when at home the temp will be either 68 (comfort) or 64 (sleep) depending on time of day.  When away is detected the Away routine sets the temp to be 55 (eco).

You can use scheduling and/or presence sensing depending on your particular needs.

dcdttu
Community Member

Thanks for the reply!  I came from the "learning" series of thermostats and this new non-learning does several things differently.

No problem! I hope it helps. Let me know if you have further related questions.

Some people prefer to let the thermostat learn the household schedules. With that comes some risk it may not do exactly what is wanted, but it is very easy. Others prefer to set a schedule and know when it is going to do what.  (The latter is me.) Perhaps the control freaks!

Good luck!