cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request - Fan only mode

BrettCarter489
Community Member

I have an air purifier that runs when my fan is running so I’d like to be able to run a fan only mode when the weather is nice and I don’t want to heat or cool the house. 

Another reason, which would likely apply to more people, is I have a basement that gets very cool. Sometimes I like to run the fan to circulate the cool air in the basement throughout the rest of the house without turning my AC on. On cheap $15 thermostats this is a basic feature. I’m surprised (and disappointed) I can’t go this with my fancy nest. 

10 REPLIES 10

JWillRVA
Community Member

Thank you - I did come across that but it doesn't address my feature request.  To use the fan on a schedule, you have to run either cool or heat modes.  There are a few months out of the year I don't want the AC or heat to come on, I just want the fan running to circulate the air 24/7.

If your forced air system has a separate fan wire in your Nest thermostat's G connector, you can run the system fan when it's not heating or cooling. If not, your fan will only run automatically when your system is heating or cooling. 

Fan controls differ slightly depending on which thermostat you have. Select your thermostat below.

Nest Thermostat

1. Tap your thermostat's touch bar and select Fan JWillRVA_0-1715082676970.png

2. Select how long you'd like your fan to run, then tap to confirm. 
  3. Choose Start to run the fan or Cancel.
  4. Your fan will turn off automatically after the time you've selected, but you can turn the fan off early by selecting Stop from the fan menu.

Nest Learning Thermostat and Thermostat E

Turn your fan on manually

1. Press your thermostat ring to open the Quick View menu.
  2. Select Fan JWillRVA_1-1715082676973.png

3. Turn the ring to select how long you'd like your fan to run. 
  4. If you have a multi-speed fan, you'll also be able to set your fan speed.
  5. Your fan will turn off automatically after the time you've selected.
  6. You can turn the fan off early by selecting Stop fan from the fan menu.

You'll see a spinning fan icon on your thermostat's screen to let you know it's running.

BrettCarter489
Community Member

I have a dedicated fan wire.  What you are suggesting works but only when heat or cool mode is on.   From the documentation listed above: "However, you can only run the fan when your thermostat is set to a temperature mode (like Cool mode, for example). You cannot run the fan if your thermostat is set to Off. "

My request is to be able to run a fan only mode, like non-Nest thermostats can.  The one I used to have was around $15 and could do this.  It seems like something simple but for some reason Nest forces you to have either the AC or heat on in order to run the fan.

I get what you’re saying but what is the downside to putting the unit in Cool mode and setting the thermostat to 95? It wouldn’t ever actually turn your unit on to cool but you’d be able to engage your fan. 
You can set up the fan schedule as I understand normally if you set the unit up this way.

I do not currently have a Nest thermostat but I’m evaluating it as a possible option. I hate Honeywells unit that I currently have.

What you're suggesting is doable but the downside is, I'd have to delete my schedule every time I want to use the fan feature and recreate it when I'm done.

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

We have a non-Nest programmable thermostat, and run our fan all the time. The fact that Google Nest does not provide this basic feature means we will NOT buy a Google Nest thermostat.

BrettCarter489
Community Member

Is there an official way to ask for features like this? 

@BrettCarter489 

By submitting "Feedback", but you don't hear back from Google Nest:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7071494

The best place I’ve found to submit Feedback to the development team is here.

https://google.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2aStd8wsbcLGvwG?sjid=4270807516549658131-NA