cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Granting access to Nest thermostat to someone else

stephonious1
Community Member

I need to grant access to my Nest thermostat to someone else who lives here and my password and email don't work for them.  What is the secret to making this happen?  Thanks in advance for any help.  So frustrating!

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

We would strongly not recommend sharing your account password with someone else, that gives them access to view everything in your account, make changes etc. To share devices, instead invite their account/email address to the home:

Share a home and devices in the Google Home app - Google Nest Help

Note that even if the device only appears in the Nest app, you still need to use the Google Home app to manage home members.

The email address you invite must be a personal Gmail account, or if the person you’re inviting to the home uses another email provider, they must create a Google account using that email address. Once they receive and accept the invite, your device(s) will show up in their Nest or Google Home apps, as appropriate.

View Recommended Answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

We would strongly not recommend sharing your account password with someone else, that gives them access to view everything in your account, make changes etc. To share devices, instead invite their account/email address to the home:

Share a home and devices in the Google Home app - Google Nest Help

Note that even if the device only appears in the Nest app, you still need to use the Google Home app to manage home members.

The email address you invite must be a personal Gmail account, or if the person you’re inviting to the home uses another email provider, they must create a Google account using that email address. Once they receive and accept the invite, your device(s) will show up in their Nest or Google Home apps, as appropriate.

Thank you, David K.   That is very helpful.   I will do that.