cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hot water schedule

ClareB
Community Member

Hi

I've just set up my hot water schedule for my boiler. It seems, in spite of entering a 45 minute time span, it still defaults to an hour. Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks

28 REPLIES 28

DarrasHall
Community Member

I too have just come across this issue. When fiddling around I've found that 30 minutes can be selected but 45 cannot, weird! Upon further investigation neither 15 or 45 can be set, in any variation, i.e. 15 mins, 45 mins, 1hr15 mins, 1hr45 mins, and so on.  Only full hour or half hour increments are possible.  I don't understand why the quarter hour options are selectable if they can't be applied...

HJC
Community Member

15 mins intervals needs to be address. Can Nest quantify why no smaller increments can not be set for the water timer schedule? 

Jaybe
Community Member

This NEEDS addressing ASAP with current gas prices !

gbjeppm
Community Member

Agreed desperately need 15 min increments

Mik1s
Community Member

This has been requested for years and these muppets still haven't implemented it. Can't fathom the logic of it. My ancient timer before the Nest had the ability to set 10 min increments. 

SteveTT
Community Member

Agreed, I can't understand why a so called progressive company as Google can't even bother to make the nest app more customisable particularly with the green agenda being taken up by so many companies the nest app seems stuck in the past in respect of programming hot water heating. Will Google take this up urgently?? What is so difficult about making the hot water intervals in 5 minute or even 15 minute increments?? Google staff - please respond.

cache
Community Member

Feeling the same pain, please make this available Google:(

Seankitson
Community Member

This is really annoying.  I don’t need the boiler running for 30 mins.  Come on sort it out.  

Ollyw
Community Member

Same disappointment for me. Having just wired up the nest after home move to replace a Honeywell thermostat capable of 10-minute settings (had it on 20 minutes which was plenty) it’s disappointing that nest cannot be set to 5-10 minutes.

Think of your green credentials Google! Simple fix for a greener world and a cost saving that was a main focus for so many people

paul16
Community Member

We need smaller increments, cost of energy is ludicrously expensive, will ditch nest and purchase a more flexible timer.

ljredux
Community Member

Same issue.  We've had the Nest thermostat for 2-3 years and have been thinking of ditching it since a few months after getting it.  Every issue like this is a nail in the 'smart' coffin.   As soon as we have major work done we're reverting to a £30 manual thermostat and more flexible timer.  The biggest surprise about Nest is that the UI doesn't seem to evolve.  Its sluggishness is unbelievable for a Google product.

Stephen6
Community Member

Indeed this is frankly bizarre. I can see little point in having it for 5 minutes, but not being able to set it in less than 30minute.increments is ridiculous.

It's a smart heating thermostat, but rather dumb as hot water. Would surely be easy to change. You can already do it for the heating.

Or alternatively, an explanation why we can't would be helpful.

Thanks 

cache
Community Member

Yep would be great if they could at least say it's something they are looking at, madness and really annoying

Jaybe
Community Member

I don't think that they even read their own forums

Owen
Community Member

This whole issue is insane. I cannot think of a single reason why a digital timer cant be adjusted to the minute. The weather has got colder and our boiler operates in an unheated room. Consequently our hot water was not hot enough in the morning after coming on for half an hour. The only way to have slightly hotter water is to add another half hour, doubling our hot water energy use and bill. No other system I have seen works like this, this was so expensive to install and we have less control over what we want and our energy use has gone up, we are already looking at alternatives. Crazy.

Pbuddy
Community Member

Agreed - please update google.

Jason8
Community Member

Agreed nest please sort this out and add smaller increments.

Me777
Community Member

Agreed. Just added our hot water to our Nest (was only originally wired up to the  heating). The heating can do small increments of time. 

I've found half an hour in this weather is not enough, but an hour is not necessary. 

In the summer I usually have it set for 20 minutes at most. 

This needs sorting asap, especially with energy prices. 

Spock
Community Member

Just joined this forum today to try and find out more information about this issue. As everyone mentions it's hard to understand why you can select any time period in the Nest app yet can only apply 30 minute increments. That combined with the lack of any response from Google / Nest is driving me away from their ecosystem. 

GlennP
Community Member

I've just had a Google Nest installed today and can't believe this! The 30 minute intervals also apply to scheduling, as far as I can tell. I can have the hot water coming on from 0430 - 0530 but not 0415 - 0515, even though the option of choosing to the minute is there. It's ridiculous!

Davos
Community Member

Agreed with comments. Google you need to give more flexibility on water heating timings. Ridiculous that a so called 'smart' meter cannot be configured by the minute, not only by 30 minute chunks. How is this 'green' for the planets sake!!!! Google please will you address this issue plus the numerous other, live energy usage reports, live boiler work rate graphs. Tado seems a much more mature / useful product look at their features. We need this feature now because of energy price hikes.

sportline1
Community Member

Come on Google, it's an easy fix!  Why do you even have this forum if nobody bothers to improve user experience?

ljredux
Community Member

It's pretty clear that Nest has stopped evolving since Google acquired it.  Time to switch to another thermostat brand.

tommyhayes
Community Member

Any update on this? 45 mins on time for water would be perfect for our house. 

Please respond to your customers google. 

Davos
Community Member

Google can you update on this 1/4 hour (FIX) feature our enhancement please? 

Any plans to even reply to your user base? or simply just tell them you're Nest product is being developed no further? Cmon wake up!

cache
Community Member

yeah please google, i think this really needs to be changed, we are getting screwed in an energy crisis

Clink
Community Member

Seems like something that should be possible. If not, then an explanation why would be useful. It just looks like sloppiness on the part of the app coders.

ljredux
Community Member

I think it's fair to say at this point that Google is deliberately ignoring all of the feedback and frustration in this thread and has no plans to do anything about the problem.  Not only are they not replying to the thread at all, but a flag seems to have been applied to stop it being bumped to the top of forum index whenever there is a new reply. 

I've experienced similar wilful ignorance when I had reason to contact support two years ago in relation to another Google product (a Google Chromecast w/GGTV).

Google's reputation for abandoning software feels like it may well apply to their hardware too.  It's just a shame we had to pay so much money to find this out.