cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Installing Nest with 8 wire thermostat. How do I wire the Nest?

ROBIII
Community Member
10 REPLIES 10

laurentbourg
Bronze
Bronze

Please describe your hvac system? This looks like a heat pump setup with alternate heat, such as gas forced air. 

ROBIII
Community Member

That is correct. It is an American Standard heat pump.

ROBIII
Community Member

With gas as well

Patrick_Caezza
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert
Yes, your current thermostat is compatible with any of the Nest thermostats.

I would suggest wiring it like this.

Red - R to Rc or R
White W1 to W2/AUX or W
Yellow Y1 to Y1 or Y
Green - G to G
Orange O to OB or */OB
Blue - B to C
Black T1 - not used, tape off
Brown - T2 - not used tape off

The "or" is for the Google Nest Thermostat

To ensure that I see your reply, please tag me using @Patrick_Caezza

HI I saw that you seem to know what you are doing. I bought a white nest thermostat but my old one has 8 Wires. My Current Honeywell I saw your guide above but I was wondering if it is the same for my thermostat or different?

With black and brown wire taped off will my heat pump still work the same way as when wired to previous thermostat?

Hey Patrick, thanks for the info you put out. I have this exact same 8 wire set up and just bought the Nest Thermostat which only has 6 wire openings. If I connect this and not use the brown or black wires, do I need to get a C-wire from Google, or does that setup you mentioned have the C-wire from that blue wire?

Tdiamond
Community Member

This is my 8 wire set up trance heat pump and gas , fuel fuel . Will it work on just hooking up the 6 wires

8 wire trane fuel fuel, what is the wiring diagram 

c411i3
Community Member

I called the nest support and they walked me through which of the 8 wires to install in the 6 nest spots. Apparently two of the wires on my Honeywell (S1 & S2) were for sensors that don't need to be used with the Nest.